Routing press clippings question

  • dougwade29
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
      My company sends out dozens of press releases a year, but
      unfortunately, very little follow-up is done. We used to get hard
      copies of the clippings and route them to management. However, our
      clip service recently switched to a digital model where we log in and
      access all of our clips as PDFs.

      The services is pretty cool, actually...no wasted paper, and it even
      gives the option to download customized reports into Excel. However,
      my director thinks management won't take the time to log in and read
      the clippings, so she wants me to start printing the PDFs and routing
      them like we did before. Sooooo... a great service designed to save
      time has somehow led to MORE work for me than before. :-)

      I was wondering how other PR professionals handle their press
      clippings. Do you do quarterly or annual reports? How do you route
      the clippings themselves?
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2004
        I'm in the market for exactly what you describe - whose service are
        you using?

        We use a print service that mails hard copies and an online service
        that pulls internet clips, which we have to supplement with Google
        news alerts and other means. These are all copied for cilents and
        mailed weekly. Reports listing all coverage are created internally
        and sent to clients monthly. (Say "clip reports" to an admin here
        and they'll get really cranky.)

        Often clients have preferences and quirks for additional services -
        such as 10 monthly binders for their board members or a weekly or
        quarterly report as well as what we already do for them. I guess
        since we're the agency and they're the client, the tendency is to
        grin and bear it.

        Your director is probably right - I myself rarely have the time to
        look at my clients' actual clips even when they're put in a folder
        and left on my desk. (What can I say, I'm a horse that can't be
        forced to drink, either - but I do skim the monthly reports.) Since
        printing is not only a PITA but also a waste and an expense, maybe
        it's possible to download and attach the PDFs to a daily or weekly
        email you send to all the execs who should look at them? Or upload
        to a company intranet so you can send out a link to all the
        coverage?

        Oh, I don't know how long you can archive clips, but if you are
        dealing with these only electronically, I hope you make backups on
        CD/DVD or tape so you don't lose anything in case of a computer
        crash. And one good thing about printing is you can assemble a
        binder for posterity. One of my clients leaves their "clip book" in
        the lunchroom for employees to peruse, which as far as I'm concerned
        is far better than sitting on a shelf in some VP's office.