PR job descriptions

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2004
      We're having a bit of a disagreement about PR writing. I realize you
      all are multitalented, so this doesn't apply to you, but I've
      thought it was generally understood that account managers in tech PR
      don't usually write. Unless they happen to be a gearhead, writing is
      farmed out. Or one might farm out the white papers, reviewer's
      guides, articles and new product announcements, but keep the non-
      technical writing in-house.

      What's the accepted idea these days? And other than PRSA and
      salary.com, can anyone point me to thorough PR job descriptions?
      Account executive versus account director, etc.?
    • Vica Vinogradova
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 29, 2004
        Hi

        IMHO, there are several essentials to a good PR person

        - ability to build, develop and maintain strong relations with relevant
        media
        - excellent writing skills
        - knowledge of trends in the industry to craft the right pitch
        - personality (phone manners, personal communications and public
        speaking)

        Depending on what area of PR the person works in, one or the other
        matters more. But writing is always in the picture.

        Best,

        Vica Vinogradova
        Director, Strategic Services
        Global Advertising Strategies