Job: Radio Interview Booker in Santa Monica

  • Bryan
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 18, 2004
      Part-time phone person needed to call radio stations in the U.S. and
      Canada, to book phone interviews for our clients with the pertinent
      talkshow hosts or morning shows. Clients such as authors, public
      speakers, personal motivaters, experts, consultants, and direct-to-
      DVD indie filmmakers. We have all 14,000 radio stations, data,
      computers, multi-line phones, headsets, etc,... we just need you to
      BOOK those interviews. Hourly pay, $8-15/hr, depending on experience
      and ability. Employee status. Part-time, 10 to 30 hours/wk. Fairly
      flexible. Must be FAST typing, and GOOD on the web. There are two
      shift options: Mornings until noon, or, noon until evenings. Blue
      Shield healthcare option (50% cost) available after 6 months. Must
      work from our office in Santa Monica (no work from home). Must
      currently live in Los Angeles (no relocations), preferably near Santa
      Monica. To apply, you must leave a message at 310-998-8305 x11.
      Site: www.radio-media.com
    • Kate
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 21, 2004
        I complainied recently to a well-off friend that jobs
        are not only scarce, but jobs that ARE out there pay
        so badly it's impossible to live off the salary. He
        thought I was exaggerating. Thanks to the attached
        email, I have proof I was right.

        A professional booker position for $8 an hour? In LOS
        ANGELES?? Part-time or full-time, that salary is out
        of line.

        And from the way it's worded, the hiring company seems
        to think booking guests on talk shows is a breeze.

        Am I the only one who finds this salary appalling?
        And sadly typical of today's PR job offers?

        Kate

        --- Bryan <bryanfarrish@...> wrote:

        > Part-time phone person needed to call radio stations
        > in the U.S. and
        > Canada, to book phone interviews for our clients
        > with the pertinent
        > talkshow hosts or morning shows. Clients such as
        > authors, public
        > speakers, personal motivaters, experts, consultants,
        > and direct-to-
        > DVD indie filmmakers. We have all 14,000 radio
        > stations, data,
        > computers, multi-line phones, headsets, etc,... we
        > just need you to
        > BOOK those interviews. Hourly pay, $8-15/hr,
        > depending on experience
        > and ability. Employee status. Part-time, 10 to 30
        > hours/wk. Fairly
        > flexible. Must be FAST typing, and GOOD on the web.
        > There are two
        > shift options: Mornings until noon, or, noon until
        > evenings. Blue
        > Shield healthcare option (50% cost) available after
        > 6 months. Must
        > work from our office in Santa Monica (no work from
        > home). Must
        > currently live in Los Angeles (no relocations),
        > preferably near Santa
        > Monica. To apply, you must leave a message at
        > 310-998-8305 x11.
        > Site: www.radio-media.com

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
      • Anand Menon
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 22, 2004
          (Like most others) Probably someone from outside of your country will some how find a way and do the job and live pretty well on 8$ an hour. :)

          Anand

          --- Bryan <bryanfarrish@...> wrote:

          > Part-time phone person needed to call radio stations
          > in the U.S. and
          > Canada, to book phone interviews for our clients
          > with the pertinent
          > talkshow hosts or morning shows. Clients such as
          > authors, public
          > speakers, personal motivaters, experts, consultants,
          > and direct-to-
          > DVD indie filmmakers. We have all 14,000 radio
          > stations, data,
          > computers, multi-line phones, headsets, etc,... we
          > just need you to
          > BOOK those interviews. Hourly pay, $8-15/hr,
          > depending on experience
          > and ability. Employee status. Part-time, 10 to 30
          > hours/wk. Fairly
          > flexible. Must be FAST typing, and GOOD on the web.
          > There are two
          > shift options: Mornings until noon, or, noon until
          > evenings. Blue
          > Shield healthcare option (50% cost) available after
          > 6 months. Must
          > work from our office in Santa Monica (no work from
          > home). Must
          > currently live in Los Angeles (no relocations),
          > preferably near Santa
          > Monica. To apply, you must leave a message at
          > 310-998-8305 x11.
          > Site: www.radio-media.com

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Anand Menon.

          # 793, Ist Floor, 12th 'B' Cross, 23rd Main,
          J. P. Nagar II Phase,
          Bangalore - 560 078 Karnataka, INDIA.

          Tel: 91 80 30619790
          Mob: 91 80 36921995
          Email: satchitanand_m@...

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 23, 2004
            Amen and haleluja! P.S., note that it was a part-time, hourly
            position, meaning no benefits, either.

            To be perfectly honest, we start people at $8 an hour -
            receptionists with no prior work experience. Sometimes they're still
            in high school, sometimes they've just graduated. This is not a
            professional level; I agree, that ad implies that no special skills
            are required to pitch guests on talk shows. (I shudder to think what
            would happen if we put any "real" work like that into the hands of
            some of the receptionists we've had.)

            In my experience small agencies will simply pay less. It's an
            economy of scale. However, those of us who work in them generally
            accept the tradeoffs and find non-monetary rewards that amply
            compensate, like working in flip-flops and bosses who buy lunch
            every day.

            My small agency grudgingly offers retirement and a health care plan,
            which is affordable (though it doesn't actually pay for much) - but
            I know of many others who don't offer these or any benefits. When my
            husband was offered a job in a small ad agency, the owner told him
            very frankly "I don't offer health insurance because I don't have
            to." I also worked in an agency that gave employees an extra one to
            two hundred bucks a month, depending on one's age, so that one could
            purchase an individual plan.

            In short, salaries stink, but money isn't everything, and if your
            salary stinks I hope you at least get lunch every now and then.

            --- In prbytes@yahoogroups.com, Kate <kate_south@y...> wrote:
            > I complainied recently to a well-off friend that jobs
            > are not only scarce, but jobs that ARE out there pay
            > so badly it's impossible to live off the salary. He
            > thought I was exaggerating. Thanks to the attached
            > email, I have proof I was right.

            > > Part-time, 10 to 30
            > > hours/wk.
          • Anand Menon
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 27, 2004
              Kate, dont get me wrong .. the reply from you on this issue may be the reason why jobs are being out sourced by many a company, where people dont have to pay as much as ' $850 a month for a tiny unairconditioned apartment (or for) driving a 10 year old car pay(ing) $1000 a year in car insurance to get to a job 20 miles and a 1-1/2 hr
              commute away.

              Kindly,
              Anand.

              Kate <kate_south@...> wrote:
              Someone from outside my country probably isn't paying
              $850 a month for a tiny unairconditioned apartment and
              driving a 10 year old car they pay $1000 a year in car

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
                It really is a chicken/egg scenario, isn't it? But according to a
                recent report by Information Week, most large companies only look at
                outsourcing as presenting a salary savings, yet when other costs,
                such as managing remote workers and technology infrastructure, are
                factored in, moving to nonurban U.S. locations can be more cost-
                effective. (A HUGE public relations bonanza is due to companies who
                choose not to go offshore, but move their company and all workers
                who are willing to an economically depressed interior state where
                living is cheap.)

                But back to the original issue - small businesses aren't
                outsourcing, and they aren't usually moving from areas where the
                cost of living is high to rural areas. So what are they doing
                instead? Paying professionals low wages without benefits, and
                reminding them that they're lucky to be working.

                --- In prbytes@yahoogroups.com, Anand Menon <satchitanand_m@y...>
                wrote:
                > Kate, dont get me wrong .. the reply from you on this issue may be
                the reason why jobs are being out sourced by many a company, where
                people dont have to pay as much as ' $850 a month for a tiny
                unairconditioned apartment (or for) driving a 10 year old car pay
                (ing) $1000 a year in car insurance to get to a job 20 miles and a 1-
                1/2 hr
                > commute away.
                >
                > Kindly,
                > Anand.
                >

                > Kate <kate_south@y...> wrote:
                > Someone from outside my country probably isn't paying
                > $850 a month for a tiny unairconditioned apartment and
                > driving a 10 year old car they pay $1000 a year in car
                > insurance to get to a job 20 miles and a 1-1/2 hr
                > commute away.
                >
                > Kate
                >

                > --- Anand Menon wrote:
                >
                > > (Like most others) Probably someone from outside of
                > > your country will some how find a way and do the job
                > > and live pretty well on 8$ an hour. :)
                > >
                > > Anand
              • Anand Menon
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
                  Sure is ......... and thats a useful bit of information that you have given me. About managing remote employees .... the world becoming that much smaller with the Info Tech Boom and the competency of management at these 'remote' locations being much much better, managing these remote locations are today much easier and cheaper.

                  About the small businesses you are probably right .. but in certain cases even some of these small companies not necessarily opening off shore companies of their own but tying up with with local organizations at these remote locations.

                  About the PR bonanza - do you think companies will be thinking that way and forgoing their savings?

                  Best,

                  wrote:
                  > Kate, dont get me wrong .. the reply from you on this issue may be
                  the reason why jobs are being out sourced by many a company, where
                  people dont have to pay as much as ' $850 a month for a tiny
                  unairconditioned apartment (or for) driving a 10 year old car pay
                  (ing) $1000 a year in car insurance to get to a job 20 miles and a 1-
                  1/2 hr
                  > commute away.
                  >
                  > Kindly,
                  > Anand.
                  >

                  > Kate <kate_south@y...> wrote:
                  > Someone from outside my country probably isn't paying
                  > $850 a month for a tiny unairconditioned apartment and
                  > driving a 10 year old car they pay $1000 a year in car
                  > insurance to get to a job 20 miles and a 1-1/2 hr
                  > commute away.
                  >
                  > Kate
                  >

                  > --- Anand Menon wrote:
                  >
                  > > (Like most others) Probably someone from outside of
                  > > your country will some how find a way and do the job
                  > > and live pretty well on 8$ an hour. :)
                  > >
                  > > Anand

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Anand Menon.

                  # 793, Ist Floor, 12th 'B' Cross, 23rd Main,
                  J. P. Nagar II Phase,
                  Bangalore - 560 078 Karnataka, INDIA.

                  Tel: 91 80 30619790
                  Mob: 91 80 36921995
                  Email: satchitanand_m@...

                • Mr Hicham
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
                    Greetings everyone,

                    I am in the process of developing a PR campaign for an award that is going to be launched by the government. The campaign will be thorough as this award is new and I need to develop all the collaterals and prints�.etc, everything from scratch. My first thoughts are as follows:

                    -Identity creation: mission, vision, logo, brochure...etc

                    -Press conference announcing the launching of this award competition

                    -News releases

                    -Interviews with the drivers of this award both in TV and print.

                    I am still in the brainstorming process about other possible and effective tactics for this kind of case, and would highly appreciate to hear your thoughts, comments, additions about it.

                    Cheers,

                    Hicham Amrani

                  • Anand Menon