RE: [prbytes] More on the Subway story

  • Mr Hicham
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2004
      Fellas,

      Allow me as a non-American and a non-European to add my two cents worth of comments to this list about this subject. I have lived in the US and Europe enough to be able to put in place a perspective that is based on constant, keen observation and on my own personal judgement.

      The US is a great nation. It is a source of inspiration to all young men like myself. It embodies a story that many want to be part of.

      The resourcefulness of the US has put it on top of Europe, the power that was in the top of the world before. So, resentment from Europe is only natural.

      The US, as a loving, open, and free country is for many people now just a concept not a reality any more. This is a logical result of the behaviour of the US politicians have managed to smear the US reputation mainly since the end of the WWII through a series of dishonest deals, misleading actions, and arrogant attitudes in some cases. I can't go into details here, as it is not relevant to the subject, but will be delighted to discuss details with anybody through the private emails. The dishonest way by which business is done by US administrations is the source of conflict with this country...it's not obesity...it's not the Mc Donald's...it's the politics, guys. Outside the US, people do eat and drink politics on a daily basis. They know every time a dirty deal is done and found out, especially by the US. The point is that the people do not dislike America�they do dislike American way of doing politics. I dislike it too, and very much so. However, people do embrace many consumer
      products that are coming out of the US because they simply enjoy them. Even those very outspoken people against the US, are avid consumers of American made movies, food, and clothes. etc. because it's not the culture they disagree with, it's the politics guys.

      I agree, the subway PR is derogatory. They should have been wiser and smarter than this. Obesity is a problem, and it is not ethical to make fun/money of other people's problems. But fellas, here is where it all lies. While in the US, I have seen many ads, movies, campaigns where other people (other than Americans) were made fun of, their cultures were trashed, and their weakest spots were constantly rubbed. I campaigned against many as much as I could, and never succeeded to break through. If the US (administration) were known in the world to be a truly caring nation, the Subway Ad would have never made it to the stores.

      I do respect the patriotism you guys hold, but please don�t let it blind you and restrict your horizons. I will die for my country at any given moment, but you will find me the harshest critique of its cultural structure and social system. I also do accept outside criticism about my country, if it is constructive.

      Cheers,

      Hicham Amrani
      Dubai

      Bob Reed <bob@...> wrote:
      From a mega conservative, Mr. DeLay's response is very predictable. But
      look at what else the Houston Chronicle article says: Houston was the
      fattest city for three years running, according to Men's Health. A little
      objectivity, please.

      Let's face it. America is as equally admired as it is demonized.

      Is Subway's promotion offensive. Yeah, I would agree that it is. But in
      looking at the responses in this thread, there are as many opinions about
      what America is.

      Yes, as a nation we are fat. It's true. Sixty-one percent of the population
      is consider obese. Yes. Some of us can be arrogant, silly flag wavers who
      don't care what others think of us. That in itself is sad. On the other
      hand, what America has accomplished in its relatively short existence is
      absolutely extraordinary.

      If anything this thread shows is that introspection is heaped upon us
      whether we like it or not. Most Americans, (I hope) can take a step back
      and take hard, objective look at themselves every once in a while. We know
      what we are. We just can't stand it when someone else points it out.

      Bob Reed

      Fact-Based B2B Marketing and Sales Initiatives
      Direct (630) 579-1770
      Mobile (630) 258-1493
      Fax (630) 637-3852
      Email bob@...
      Web www.rurelevant.com

      Receive R-NOTES - Insights and tools to improve your marketing. Visit
      http//:www.rurelevant.com/rNotes

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2004

        Bob Reed <bob@...> wrote:From a mega conservative, Mr. DeLay's response is very predictable. But