Bad PR at Subway Subs ...

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 29, 2004
      Thinking that they could do stuff in Europe that won't impact their
      American market share, Subway has forgotten the Internet and the fact that
      Americans travel to Europe and know how to read European languages. It's
      now poised to blow up in their corporate faces ...

      I just got the following from Townhall.com, a conservative
      website. However, the illustrations make clear that the memo they sent is
      based on reality. And, conservative or liberal, if you're an American, do
      you really want to patronize a company that makes fun of America and
      Americans?

      Anyway, here's the story ...

      From: Center for Individual Freedom
      Re: Subway's Anti-American Tray-Liners

      Dear Friends,

      I am writing today to ask for your help on an issue of utmost importance.

      It has come to our attention that SUBWAY, an American company, is using
      this tray liner (see below for English translation) in their restaurants in
      Germany and across Europe. In a shameless and anti-American effort to
      increase sales in Europe, SUBWAY restaurants are promoting the film, "Super
      Size Me," a documentary about a man who gains weight by gorging himself at
      McDonald's for 30 days straight without any exercise.

      The most offensive part of this new advertising campaign is the display of
      an obese Statue of Liberty holding a burger and fries in her hands. The
      headline screams “Why are Americans so fat?” (The headline uses the German
      word “Amis” – a derogatory term for Americans.)

      Simply put, SUBWAY’s advertising strategy is a new low in corporate
      behavior -- exploiting cultural tensions and inflaming anti-American
      sentiment abroad just to sell more sandwiches. It is appalling that SUBWAY,
      a U.S. company, would attack Americans and the Statue of Liberty in a time
      of war ... just to gain market share.

      In response, the Center for Individual Freedom
      (<http://cf.heritage.org/rd.cfm?id=409>www.cfif.org), together with
      Frontiers of Freedom (<http://cf.heritage.org/rd.cfm?id=404>www.ff.org) and
      several other organizations, has launched its own campaign to demand that
      SUBWAY immediately end its anti-American marketing ploy.

      An excerpt from today’s Houston Chronicle, which reported on this issue in
      a front page article, reads: "SUBWAY officials thought a tie-in with a
      movie featuring [Jared] Fogle and raising awareness about the nation's
      weight problem 'just seemed to make sense' for a company that has just
      launched a campaign to fight childhood obesity,” Kane said.

      There you have it folks. No denial, no apology, no shame.

      Please join us in demanding that SUBWAY immediately halt its anti-American
      propaganda scheme overseas. Call SUBWAY CEO Fred DeLuca today! Urge him to
      stop his cynical advertising campaign against the United States. The phone
      number for Mr. DeLuca at Subway's Executive Offices in Connecticut is
      800-888-4848, ext. 1401.

      I also want to encourage you to <http://cf.heritage.org/rd.cfm?id=408>write
      letters to the editor of your local newspapers condemning SUBWAY for its
      anti-American marketing scheme. And to make this campaign successful, it’s
      critical that you help spread the word by forwarding this call to action to
      your friends and family.

      We need your help. Let SUBWAY know that Americans refuse to tolerate their
      shameless gambit. Take Action NOW!

      Sincerely,

      Jeff Mazzella
      Executive Director
      Center for Individual Freedom
      <http://cf.heritage.org/rd.cfm?id=409>www.cfif.org

      Translation of Subway Tray-liner--Germany

      Michael Moore quote:

      “The only time I have been scared/frightened for my life has been going
      through a McDonald’s drive-thru.”

      Trayliner text:

      Why are Americans so fat?

      In the Michael Moore tradition, New York filmmaker Morgan Spurlock does
      some deep questioning and self experiments for 30 days on products from the
      world’s largest fast food company.

      Astounding revelations…scary liver levels and horrifying blood levels that
      would cause any doctor the highest degree of alarm.

      In this top satire, which won the prize for best direction from Sundance
      2004, Spurlock explores the questions of responsibility between big
      business and consumers, and the big money which contributes to this “Fast
      Food” culture, and how to make Americans healthy again. An ironic hit into
      the stomach that is enriched by fat and facts behind this dubious mega
      industry.

      Passage near Statue of Liberty:

      You care about what you eat and everything isn’t equal? Then you shouldn’t
      miss this film about foolish intake. It will open your eyes.
    • Duncan Matheson
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
        Looks like an over-reaction to a creative campaign to me. If I were Subway,
        I would want to exploit the obesity thing that many of my competitors such
        as the hamburger chains are associated with. It's a fact that obesity is
        becoming a epidemic with kids in the U.S. (the same thing in Canada but
        that's not relevant to this case). McDonalds is synonymous with the U.S.
        fast food industry, as is the Statue of Liberty synonymous with the United
        States in general. So for a European audience, why not bloat up the statue
        as a visual confirmation of how obesity has become such a problem in the
        States, underlining the suggestion that by eating Subway, you wouldn't end
        up the same way? Those who see this as anti-American seriously need to
        lighten-up. It's just some creative marketing for gawd's sakes. Rather than
        worrying about companies making fun of Americans, maybe those who are
        concerned should be worrying about the obesity situation that is resulting
        in the ridicule.

        Duncan

        Ned wrote

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
          Dear dmblahbla@...

          I'm sure we can take this kind of ribbing a lot more easily when we receive
          it from those who've got the courage to put their name to their comments,
          instead of hiding behind anonymous hotmail accounts.

          I'd be glad to discuss each of your points, logically and reasonably - but
          only if you'd like to drop the veil of anonymity.

          All the best

          Ned the American

        • sanibelart@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
            I think this posting makes the point many of us have been arguing.
            The world (ie France and Germany) hates America and Americans, period. It's not George Bush that they hate. It's not Iraq liberation that they hate. Those are just convenient excuses. (Although I do note how the grubs get aggravated when the rock that protects then from sunlight has been removed.)

            We are fat. They are envious. We are arrogant. They wish they could be.
            The US has achieved its economic status through hard work, ingenuity and the willingness to take risks by trying new things. Everytime we succeed, the hide-bound Europeans (and Canadians, apparently) squirm and smart.
            'Why can't it be them?," they wail.
            There is cause and effect in the world. In this case, the cause is envy and hatred. The effect is the hind teat in the world's economy.
            Incidentally, I'll bet that most of the economic incursions by "American companies" that the Europeans rail about are investments by their own nationals. These investors just know who to put their economic trust in.
            While I'm raging, consider the ecominc impact it would have in many foreign nations if US companies decided to bring all their "outsourced jobs" home. Poverty would surge and the US would get the blame.
            --
            Sincerely,
            William Ernest Waites

            At 04:47 AM 7/30/2004, .. ... wrote:
> [...]
            >>into the stomach that is enriched by fat and facts behind this dubious
            >>mega industry.
            >>
            >>Passage near Statue of Liberty:
            >>
            >>You care about what you eat and everything isn�t equal? Then you
            >>shouldn�t miss this film about foolish intake. It will open your eyes.
            >>

            >>------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
            >>Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
            >>Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
            >>http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/OwowlB/TM

            >MSN� Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling
            >get-togethers.
            >http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines
            >Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN� Premium right now and get the

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

          • Erik Hauser
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
              Forget the veil of secrecy. It only takes a quick glance at the e-mail
              to determine that the individual seems to be filled with quite a bit of
              anger. Some of his points are valid. The US corporations do go into
              countries and to some extent americanize the landscape. However, if
              the demand was not there, then the American corporations would not be
              there. Most brands may start in the US, but are global brands that
              employ people in hundreds of nations. When something goes wrong in a
              foreign country and they start to burn the local McDonald's..who loses?
              Well, the local resident that bought the chain, not the corporation.
              They hurt themselves and their own people. This is just a sad truth.
              People simply see the US company and forget that it is a global brand
              owned by a local resident.

              By saying the rest of the world sees us as arrogant bastards is a
              statement without merit. I have several friends from around the
              world. The truth is that most countries admire the free system in
              which we are able to operate. There is always a bit of backlash when
              an american company comes into a new country as some residents feel
              that their very culture is being threatened. It is a valid position to
              take, and I can appreciate it. We are a young country without the
              thousands of years of culture that some other countries possess.

              However, this individual that is trying to make points just seems to be
              filled with anger, and it makes his points "thin" to say the least.
              There are many views on America...some good, some bad.....I think that
              this individual has some issues with the US. Which he is entitled to
              have, but he should make his points without painting us all with his
              broad brush.

              Erik

              At 04:47 AM 7/30/2004, .. ... wrote:
> [...]
              >> 2004, Spurlock explores the questions of responsibility between big
              >> business and consumers, and the big money which contributes to this
              >> “Fast
              >> Food” culture, and how to make Americans healthy again. An ironic hit
              >> into the stomach that is enriched by fat and facts behind this dubious
              >> mega industry.
              >>
              >> Passage near Statue of Liberty:
              >>
              >> You care about what you eat and everything isn’t equal? Then you
              >> shouldn’t miss this film about foolish intake. It will open your eyes.

              > MSN® Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of
              > scheduling
              > get-togethers.
              > http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/
              > prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/
              > enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines
              > Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • David P. Dillard
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
                Overweight amongst Americans, the satiric target of Subway
                advertising, is an expensive and life destructive lifestyle of far
                too many Americans and even of the pets of many Americans.
                Change in this area of American life is necessary to extend
                the life expectancy of Americans and to improve quality of life.

                Statistics Related to Overweight and Obesity
                U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
                National Institutes of Health
                NIH Publication No. 03-4158
                July 2003
                <http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/nutrit/pubs/statobes.htm>

                What are overweight and obesity?
                How are overweight and obesity measured?
                Body Mass Index Table
                Why do statistics about overweight and obesity differ?
                Prevalence statistics related to overweight and obesity
                Economic costs related to overweight and obesity
                Other statistics related to overweight and obesity
                References

                Weight-control Information Network
                1 WIN WAY
                BETHESDA, MD 20892-3665
                Phone: (202) 828-1025
                FAX: (202) 828-1028
                Toll-free number: 1-877-946-4627
                Internet: www.niddk.nih.gov/health/nutrit/nutrit.htm
                E-mail: win@...

                National Diabetes Statistics
                National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse
                1 Information Way
                Bethesda, MD 20892-3560
                Email: ndic@...
                Phone: 1-800-860-8747 or (301) 654-3327
                Fax: (301) 907-8906
                <http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/statistics/index.htm>

                General Information

                * What is diabetes?
                * Treating Diabetes
                * Pre-diabetes
                * Prevention or Delay of Diabetes
                * Prevention of Diabetes Complications

                National Estimates on Diabetes

                * Total prevalence of diabetes in the United States, all ages, 2002
                * Prevalence of diagnosed diabetes among people under 20 years
                of age, United States, 2002
                * Total prevalence of diabetes among people aged 20 years or older,
                United States, 2002
                * Total prevalence of diabetes by race/ethnicity among people aged
                20 years or older, United States, 2002
                * Incidence of diabetes, United States, 2002
                * Deaths among people with diabetes, United States, 2000
                * Complications of diabetes in the United States
                * Cost of diabetes in the United States, 2002

                Sources

                * Methods
                * Data Sources, References, and Methods
                * Acknowledgments
                * Citation

                The Peanut Institute: Backgrounder-Obesity in the United States
                <http://www.peanut-institute.org/Obesity_Stats_PR.html>

                Overweight and Obesity: At a Glance
                THE FACTS ABOUT OVERWEIGHT AND OBESITY
                U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
                <http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/topics/obesity/calltoaction/fact_glance.htm>

                Map & Graph: Mortality: Obesity (per capita) (Top 100 Countries)
                <http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/mor_obe_cap>

                HOT TOPIC - OFF THE PRESS:
                The United States Sports Academy Responds to
                America's Obesity Crisis
                <http://www.thesportjournal.org/sport-supplement/vol12no2/obesity.asp>

                [PDF] Annual Deaths Attributable to Obesity in the United States
                <http://www.durhamhealthpartners.org/pdfs/summit03/annual_deaths.pdf>

                STATISTICS ON CHILDHOOD OBESITY
                <http://www.americascores.org/index.php?id=390>

                FACT SHEET
                PHYSICAL ACTIVITY AND HEALTH
                <http://fitness.gov/physical_activity_fact_sheet.html>

                US Obesity at an All-Time High
                And Wisconsin's health statistics highlight the consequences.
                Health Link
                <http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/1031002183.html>

                Perhaps the Subway advertising campaign should be taken as a
                warning rather than as an insult.

                Sincerely,
                David Dillard
                Temple University
                (215) 204 - 4584
                jwne@...
                <http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/ringleaders/davidd.html>
                <http://www.kovacs.com/medref-l/medref-l.html>
                <http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html>
                <http://www.LIFEofFlorida.org>
                World Business Community Advisor
                <http://www.WorldBusinessCommunity.org>

                On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Duncan Matheson wrote:

                > Looks like an over-reaction to a creative campaign to me. If I were Subway,
                > I would want to exploit the obesity thing that many of my competitors such
                > as the hamburger chains are associated with. It's a fact that obesity is
                > becoming a epidemic with kids in the U.S. (the same thing in Canada but
                > that's not relevant to this case). McDonalds is synonymous with the U.S.
                > fast food industry, as is the Statue of Liberty synonymous with the United
                > States in general. So for a European audience, why not bloat up the statue
                > as a visual confirmation of how obesity has become such a problem in the
                > States, underlining the suggestion that by eating Subway, you wouldn't end
                > up the same way? Those who see this as anti-American seriously need to
                > lighten-up. It's just some creative marketing for gawd's sakes. Rather than
                > worrying about companies making fun of Americans, maybe those who are
                > concerned should be worrying about the obesity situation that is resulting
                > in the ridicule.

                > Duncan

                > Ned wrote

                > > Thinking that they could do stuff in Europe that won't impact their
                > > American market share, Subway has forgotten the Internet and the fact that
                > > Americans travel to Europe and know how to read European languages. It's
                > > now poised to blow up in their corporate faces ...

                > > I just got the following from Townhall.com, a conservative
                > > website. However, the illustrations make clear that the memo they sent is
                > > based on reality. And, conservative or liberal, if you're an American, do
                > > you really want to patronize a company that makes fun of America and
                > > Americans?
              • Vica Vinogradova
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
                  Dear William

                  Below made me post to this list for the first time.

                  This is the biggest pile of crap I've ever read in three paragraphs. I
                  hope you weren't serious when you wrote all that. Europeans DON'T want
                  to be us. I suggest you stick to being the EYEWRITER, and if you want to
                  get educated as to WHY in fact Europe and Latin America might hate
                  America - grab a copy of "Why Do People Hate America" by Ziauddin
                  Sardar, Merryl Wyn Davies.

                  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0971394253/qid=1091194120/sr=2-1/
                  ref=sr_2_1/103-2805966-9415846

                  The book will give you a bit of a historical perspective, show you how
                  much they DON'T want to be us and how their economies were made
                  dependent on the US.

                  Vica Vinogradova
                  New York

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
                    I think that Erik makes some excellent points, as does W8S (William).

                    My initial point is that this is (on Subway's part) really bad PR - and
                    it's especially bad because of the Internet.

                    Within moments after they launched this campaign, the placemats were
                    scanned and e-mailed to the states, and within days these were making the
                    rounds in both business and political circles, raising a ruckus among
                    Americans who feel (right or wrong) hated by (and besieged by the haters
                    in) Europe. In a very human fashion, many of us resent that fact, and
                    since we're free to exercise our resentment economically, this is going to
                    cost Subway a lot of US dollars. Presuming that the US is a much bigger
                    market for Subway than the EU could ever be, this makes their decision
                    short-sighted and ... thanks to the Internet ... really bad PR.

                    And bad marketing. Bad because it's never sensible to piss off big chunks
                    of your core clients (it's going to be a cold day in Hell before I buy
                    another Subway sub, and I've been a customer of theirs since college, 30 or
                    more years ago). I'm certain I'm not alone ... and can these ads in
                    Germany ever generate enough business to make pissing away so many American
                    customers really worthwhile?

                    I don't think so ...

                    Ned

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
                      Vica

                      I think you're wrong, and I encourage you to check out John Gibson's new
                      book: Hating America : The New World Sport, available at Amazon and B&N
                      among others. It is filled with reprinted newspaper stories from around
                      the world showing what many Europeans (and others, including many Latin
                      Americans) think about the USA.

                      I'm sure that not all Europeans hate America (or want to be "us"), but
                      there are a great many Europeans who do - I can recall the huge
                      anti-American protest marches over the past two years ... those weren't
                      media fabrications.

                      And while it might be good business in the EU to make fun of America in
                      ads, it's not good for American companies to do that in Europe (especially
                      if they think that they can do that in Germany without their US customers
                      finding out, or reacting).

                      And that's what this thread started out to be - a discussion of how
                      cyber-PR makes such market-specific tactics potentially hugely
                      counter-productive.

                      Ned

                    • vica@ladno.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
                        Ned - who is wrong and who is right is debatable.
                        They are those who love the US, and those who don't. But to bluntly state
                        that "they want to be us, and want to be fat and arrogant like us" is pure
                        arrogance in itself. Thus my amazement was only at William's post.

                        As to the overall thread - I agree, there should be better means of
                        promoting American products rather than putting down the country that
                        produced them.

                        v2

                        bscribe@yahoogroups.com

                        > *

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        http://mail2web.com/ .
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
                          At 09:21 AM 7/30/2004, you wrote:

                          >Ned - who is wrong and who is right is debatable.

                          If you look at this as a business issue and a PR problem (instead of as a
                          social issue), it becomes clear.

                          The Houston Chronicle has already picked this up, with a big article that
                          quotes a major Congressional leader as condemning Subway. For the PR folks
                          at Subway, this has already become a nightmare. Business/market share in
                          the US is already starting to erode. And the story only broke late last
                          night ...

                          >They are those who love the US, and those who don't.

                          Which, from a business perspective (and a PR perspective), is
                          irrelevant. Subway wanted to do one thing - get more business. They
                          aren't a "political" organization, and they're not trying to change the world.

                          They made a mistake - they thought that what they did in Germany and in the
                          EU would remain unknown in the US. However, the Internet (which is why I
                          brought this up on PRBytes) has made such market-segmentation secrecy
                          impossible. And what was a "local" marketing/advertising campaign that
                          might have worked by playing on overt German anti-American feelings has now
                          become a growing melt-down in the US.

                          And Subway is an American company - this is their core, their base, and
                          they're running a big (unexpected) risk - losing market share in their
                          base. That's a poor business trade-off ... and if they're not ready to
                          handle a break-out PR crisis, it's going to get a lot worse before it
                          starts to get better.

                          None of that has anything to do with "who's right" ... it's all about
                          business, and about a self-inflicted PR crisis.

                          > But to bluntly state
                          >that "they want to be us, and want to be fat and arrogant like us" is pure
                          >arrogance in itself. Thus my amazement was only at William's post.

                          Those are his opinions, and they're widely shared by Americans who have
                          been burned by Europe's actions since 9/11 - a decisive turning point for
                          many Americans, who judge our "friends" by how they support us in the
                          post-9/11 era. Which is one more reason why Subway really screwed up -
                          they've hit people (not you, but millions of Americans) in a very
                          vulnerable place.

                          You probably know that an informal boycott of France has cost that nation
                          something like 20% of it's tourism and foreign trade (France says less, but
                          some international observing bodies say that much or more). Now Subway is
                          facing the same kind of economic backlash - and at home, in their core market.

                          Regardless of any objective truth regarding William's views, the reality is
                          this: People who feel as he does (and there are millions of Americans who
                          do) will be suddenly and viscerally/emotionally reactive and resistance to
                          Subway - and what business sense does that make?

                          >As to the overall thread - I agree, there should be better means of
                          >promoting American products rather than putting down the country that
                          >produced them.

                          Absolutely. Ad campaigns that cause PR or marketing meltdowns are
                          self-defeating and totally unnecessary.

                          All the best

                          Ned

                        • sanibelart@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
                            Vica:
                            Well, at least it got a rise out of you.
                            If you settle down, let the bood supply return to your brain and reread my post you will find that I have not said anywhere in it that Europeans want be America - although plenty of tthem immigrate here and I assume they are not all coming in to blow us up.)
                            Otherwise, you have amply demonstrated my point, which was that Europe, more appropriately France and Germany, hate us - flat out. They envy our success. They don't necessarily want to emulate the porcess or they would have the same result. But they are envious that we have become more successful economically than they have.
                            Nothing George Bush has done, or America has done under his leadership has anything to do with it, other than lancing the boil.
                            --
                            Sincerely,
                            William Ernest Waites

                            Dear William

                            Below made me post to this list for the first time.

                            This is the biggest pile of crap I've ever read in three paragraphs. I
                            hope you weren't serious when you wrote all that. Europeans DON'T want
                            to be us. I suggest you stick to being the EYEWRITER, and if you want to
                            get educated as to WHY in fact Europe and Latin America might hate
                            America - grab a copy of "Why Do People Hate America" by Ziauddin
                            Sardar, Merryl Wyn Davies.

                            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0971394253/qid=1091194120/sr=2-1/
                            ref=sr_2_1/103-2805966-9415846

                            The book will give you a bit of a historical perspective, show you how
                            much they DON'T want to be us and how their economies were made
                            dependent on the US.

                            Vica Vinogradova
                            New York

                          • Alvin Hattal
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
                              Ned, aside from the obvious mistake you point out in Subway's strategy, this
                              tactic exacerbates the currently negative view that Europeans--and
                              others--have of the U.S.

                              Alvin Hattal
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
                                At 10:11 AM 7/30/2004, you wrote:
                                >Ned, aside from the obvious mistake you point out in Subway's strategy, this
                                >tactic exacerbates the currently negative view that Europeans--and
                                >others--have of the U.S.
                                >
                                >Alvin Hattal

                                I can see your point. It is not a win-win situation for Subway, that's for
                                sure - although they might get "sympathy support" in Europe if this really
                                blows up in Subway's corporate face.

                                Ned
                              • vica@ladno.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
                                  William

                                  Thank you for the rhetoric. Check you spelling - there no word "bood" in
                                  Enlgish.

                                  Quoting you: "We are fat. They are envious. We are arrogant. They wish they
                                  could be." - (i.e. they want to be like us) which is total nonsense. I
                                  don't see how I amply demonstrated your point, as I wouldn't bother digging
                                  into nonsense any further.

                                  As to French and German hating America (quote: "hate us - flat out") - have
                                  you done a questionnaire collecting data from every citizen of those
                                  countries? Your assumptions are only half right - there are as many
                                  different opinions in Europe about the U.S. as there are in other
                                  countries. BTW, when were you last in Europe? Did you ask them what they
                                  "hate" - the American people, or what the US government imposes on other
                                  countries?

                                  Envying our success? Doubt it. Practically every European has health
                                  insurance, and millions of Americans don't. Add here.. Yes, the US is a
                                  great country, a great economic power (was - before we went to Iraq), but
                                  it plays its own game and dictates its rules to the rest of the world

                                  And pls don't start me on Bush. I am a Democrat. I'd like to finish this
                                  thread, as it is irrelevant to this list.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
                                    Dear Vico: Replies in line.

                                    William

                                    Thank you for the rhetoric. Check you spelling - there no word "bood" in
                                    Enlgish.

                                    W8s - I apologize for misspelling a word. I didn't spell check. Careless of me. I'm glad you caught it.

                                    Quoting you: "We are fat. They are envious. We are arrogant. They wish they
                                    could be." - (i.e. they want to be like us) which is total nonsense.

                                    W8s - I did not say that "they want to be like us" to quote you. And I didn't imply it. You inferred it. What I said was they are envious of our fatness, by which I meant having an economy that is successful enough that our problem is fat and not hunger. I also said they wish they could be arrogant. (Of course, they are. But with little justification.)

                                    I don't see how I amply demonstrated your point, as I wouldn't bother digging
                                    into nonsense any further.

                                    W8s - I believe you demonstrated my point by your knee-jerk reaction of hateful disparagement, without regard for what I actually said. (I assumed that, regardless of your NY address, you were speaking for the Europeans.)

                                    As to French and German hating America (quote: "hate us - flat out") - have
                                    you done a questionnaire collecting data from every citizen of those
                                    countries? Your assumptions are only half right - there are as many
                                    different opinions in Europe about the U.S. as there are in other
                                    countries. BTW, when were you last in Europe? Did you ask them what they
                                    "hate" - the American people, or what the US government imposes on other
                                    countries?

                                    W8s - Got me again, Vico. I have not surveyed every adult European to determine if they hate us each and everyone. I'm sure some of them don't. I was reacting to the offical position of the French and German governments and the press that parrots them. To the degree that they represent the attitudes of the average French or German citizen, I am correct. To the degree that they don't represent their populations, that is unfortunate. My last trip to Europe was in June, but not to France or Germany. I stayed in England. I refused to chunnel to Paris because I refuse to spend even one franc or mark or euro in countries that have turned their backs politically on their American friends - largely in pursuit of their own ill-gotten, corrupt gains.

                                    Envying our success? Doubt it. Practically every European has health
                                    insurance, and millions of Americans don't. Add here.. Yes, the US is a
                                    great country, a great economic power (was - before we went to Iraq), but
                                    it plays its own game and dictates its rules to the rest of the world

                                    W8s - U.S. still is a great economic power. I do find it difficult to understand how it dictates its rules to the rest of the world. It sure doesn't stop France from subsidizing agriculture to the detriment of fair trade. I also don't think that going to Iraq has diminished the ecooonomy or economic power of the US. I also think it is a great benefactor of other countries - including billions of dollars to fight AIDS in Africa and foreign aid in the countless billions.

                                    And pls don't start me on Bush. I am a Democrat. I'd like to finish this
                                    thread, as it is irrelevant to this list.

                                    W8s - Why is it that so many people who disparage America also dislike Bush? I believe there is a connection. But I do apologize for dragging his name into the discussion. Not this list, but another one I subscribe takes great delight in regularly bashing the President. I got the lists confused.