Re: [prbytes] contract hires

  • Mr Hicham
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 16, 2004
      I'd like to join Nedd Barnett. Eliot, if you've got a job which you feel secure in on different levels, why would you change it especially if your financial welfare depends on the monthly salary.

      from a different angels, changing to a differnt job or company does sometimes really work. I did that once when I was in the US and it did turn to a great opportunity. In brief, I was working in the University and then got a four month contract with a really good salary. So there I was hanging between the financial reaward of the four month contract and the "permanant" job at the University. During the four month work, I met this person who encouraged me and assisted me to go t Dubai where I am happily working now for the last two years in the most reputable PR agency in the region.

      Although I might no do this now, more so because I have a family, but it did work out. So weigh the risk and take a decision.

      Elliott <netmon66@...> wrote:
      Hi,
      Lately I've come across postings for PR positions in corporations or
      associations that look quite appealing, until I read the words: "One-
      year contract." I find it hard to contemplate giving up the
      security of my "permanent" job for a contract position. I also find
      it hard to understand how organizations can expect to attract the
      best people if they're making it a contract hire, but that's their
      problem.

      I've been told that often the one-year contract is the employer's
      way of taking aboard someone without having the comparable legal
      obligations if the individual doesn't work out. If the individual
      turns out to be good, the contract is extended or the position is
      made permanent. But how can you know if that is really the intent?

      What advice do folks in this group have regarding contracts? Are
      they really as "insecure" a form of hire as they appear to be?

      Thanks.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Alvin Hattal
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 16, 2004
        It works two ways. I was offered a one-year contract to move from D.C. back
        to NYC to manage an office for a company w/ hqs. in Minneapolis. I held out
        for three years and got it. But after a year, my family had enough of the
        big apple, even though my boss was 1,200 miles away. It took another year
        before a headhunter could find me a spot back in D.C., and I was able to get
        out of my commitment and take it. But, then, those were nice people in Minn.

        Alvin Hattal
        www.b2bwriter.net