when do you have time . . .

  • Jube
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2004
      WEll, I'm banned from the currently running Small Shop list, and the
      Young PROs are not as patient about questions as you guys are. So I'm
      asking here.

      When you find time to revise contract templates, tweak your own message,
      do finances, and other house keeping measures for your business. I know
      several of you are in larger corps, but for those who are doing this
      solo, does it have to be 24/7 with no time off, or have you found some
      methods that save time but help you stay updated.

      Right now I'm doing PR work during business hours, and websites on off
      hours. That's pretty much takes up my days and nights. When is there
      time to do the other stuff?

      Listening.

      --
      Blessings,· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
      ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2004
        There are a couple of answers that work.

        1. Insomnia. I can't sleep. Which gives me lots of time to do that other
        work. I was tweaking a slow-running computer last night from about 8 pm
        to about 6 am. However, this solution is not for everybody <g>

        2. Ask for help. I have shared lots of templates with list-members on
        half a dozen lists, and I've gotten help in return from many, too.

        3. Use down-time. Even the most successful of us have some spare
        inventory of time available to do stuff that is routine. Waiting on a
        client to return a call. Eating a mid-day snack. Do this in front of a
        computer, and do the routine stuff that doesn't require a lot of brain power.

        4. Lap-tops. My laptop lives in my bedroom, but it often visits the
        living room (it shares watching Enterprise with me); for the cable-news
        political yak-shows I'm so addicted to, I find that laptops find their uses
        during commercials and when script-reading extremists are hogging the
        airtime. For some reason, I do better in writing editorials and creative
        fiction in front of the TV than in the silence of my office. While I have
        yet to take the laptop into the porcelain throne room, I've used it almost
        everywhere else. If nothing else, I can unplug from the Internet and
        leisurely answer e-mail, which then gets batch-sent the next time I log
        on. One final note on laptops. For years (not always, but with a
        repetition that suggests a kind of regularity) I have kept my laptop in my
        office, on the credenza, at 90-degrees from my computer. When I want to
        take a break from what I'm working on in the main computer, I can turn to
        the laptop to do some other project (or surf to Drudge, or
        whatever). Admittedly, this started when one computer was DOS and when
        (due to the pressures of ill-advised clients) I also had a MAC in my office
        - and I'd run both at once (at that time, I also had a DOS laptop and an
        old CP/M "luggable" Osborne, all operational and sometimes all working at
        the same time - I felt like the lead computer/geek character in
        Swordfish). However, since converting to a pure Windows operation on both
        computers, I can do multiple tasks on one computer, and the need is more
        pleasurable than essential. Still, I like the flexibility of laptops - my
        wife also has her office in our home (she's a writer, just finished a book
        that she's putting into final shape for her publisher), and she also has
        both a desktop and a laptop. She likes to use the laptop while getting the
        morning sun in the bedroom, or listening to late-night talk radio (and when
        we travel, we both carry our laptops with us - we've gotten to the point
        where we try to stay in these "mini-suite" places so we'll have a computer
        room and a bedroom <g.).

        However, if things like family and children and home-schooling and running
        a radio empire interfere, or if you're addicted to 8 hours of sleep (and
        insist on doing that when it's dark - how "conventional" <G>), try asking
        for help from colleagues and try actually making use of those bits of
        down-time during office/work hours.

        Good luck

        PS - why not appeal your SmallShop banning? I know it was set up to
        exclude me, but other bans might be a bit more flexible. After all, you're
        not some wacked-out conservative bomb-thrower the way I am <g>

        All the best

        Ned