Re: [prbytes] sale of website

  • sanibelart@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2004
      What a fascinating question!

      All the issues you mention are significant, other than "hits" which have been pretty widely discredited as evidence of anything of value. Unique visitors and time spent at the site are more meaningful in determining value to the user.

      I would start with an estimate of what it would cost to recreate the Website. How much would a designer charge to put up an equivalent (or satisfactory replacement)?

      Then estimate the value of the URL, recognizing that it is "leased" not owned.

      From the standpoint of the affiliate gross, if the seller has hard numbers, that is an indicator of income potential - but only if you plan to retain the affiliation and only if other Internet rules don't render the affiliation useless. (This part of the Web is in constant flux as the government tries to figure out what kind of animal it is.)

      SERP on search engines is not very reliable. They can and do change at the drop of keyword.

      Any "goodwill" associated with the "brand," however, would have value. As with any business, an established clientele that trusts the brand is a very valuable asset.

      After running all these considerations through my head, if I decided I wanted to buy the Website (including the URL rights), I would make the lowest possible bid and work back up from there.

      W8s
      PS: I would also probe, probe, probe why the owner wants to sell. There may be other reasons beyond personal frustration.