RE: [prbytes] Digest Number 1043

  • Jessica Johannes
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 8, 2004
      If this is unpaid, what is the impetus for participation? Equity?

      ===================================

      Jessica Johannes
      jessica_johannes@...
      Office: (408) 323-8888
      Cell: (408) 892-1478
      www.jessicajohannes.com

      ===================================

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 13, 2004
        No disrespect, but why on earth would anybody want to be an unpaid advisor
        to a for-profit business?

        For a non-profit, sure - lots of people do pro bono work for good causes
        (I've done my share, too). But why would I give away what I try to sell,
        just to help somebody I don't know become wealthy?

        I mean, who's kidding who here?

      • Jessica Johannes
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 19, 2004
          Ned,

          Amen to that.

          So now this is for everyone on the list...I don't know about the rest of you
          but is there anyone else besides me that finds it offensive and insulting
          for someone to advertise an unpaid job on a newslist for PR practitioners
          (many of whom are highly experienced and credentialed)???? Is there anyone
          besides me who questions the integrity and values of any company that would
          ask a seasoned and experienced professioinal to perform services unpaid for
          a comercial business?

          Vaus--do you not value the contribution that PR IS to an organization in
          achieving its objectives?

          ===================================

          Jessica Johannes
          jessica_johannes@...
          www.jessicajohannes.com

          ===================================

          >From: Ned Barnett <interned@...>
          >To: prbytes@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [prbytes] Unpaid? You're kidding
          >Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:36:56 -0800
          >

          >No disrespect, but why on earth would anybody want to be an unpaid advisor
          >to a for-profit business?
          >
          >For a non-profit, sure - lots of people do pro bono work for good causes
          >(I've done my share, too). But why would I give away what I try to sell,
          >just to help somebody I don't know become wealthy?
          >
          >I mean, who's kidding who here?
          >
          >Ned Barnett, APR
          >
          >Barnett Marketing Communications
          >

          >At 11:19 PM 1/7/2004 -0800, you wrote:
          > >Hello Members,
          > >
          > >Would like to know if there are any PR gurus, in the music,
          >entertainment,
          > >or technology (Internet radio, satellite)
          > >industries. Sm2 (www.smusicmedia.com) would like you to serve as a PR
          > >advisor for a start up (unpaid of course).
          > >
          > >Please let me know if you are interested, details shall follow.
          > >
          > >Respectfully,
          > >

          > >Vaus

          Find high-speed �net deals � comparison-shop your local providers here.
          https://broadband.msn.com
        • Janine Krasicky
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 20, 2004
            I agree. It is very insulting to ask for unpaid from a professional when it
            is a for profit business. I can only assume that he intended to pay in
            stock options or something of that nature.

            Best regards,

            Janine

            Janine M. Krasicky
            Founder
            J9 Media Solutions, LLC
            248.584.1411
            janine@...
            www.j9media.com

            > So now this is for everyone on the list...I don't know about the rest of
            you
            > but is there anyone else besides me that finds it offensive and insulting
            > for someone to advertise an unpaid job on a newslist for PR practitioners
            > (many of whom are highly experienced and credentialed)???? Is there
            anyone
            > besides me who questions the integrity and values of any company that
            would
            > ask a seasoned and experienced professioinal to perform services unpaid
            for
            > a comercial business?
            >
            > Vaus--do you not value the contribution that PR IS to an organization in
            > achieving its objectives?
            >
            > ===================================
            >
            > Jessica Johannes
            > jessica_johannes@...
            > www.jessicajohannes.com
            >
            > ===================================
            >

            > >From: Ned Barnett <interned@...>
            > >To: prbytes@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: [prbytes] Unpaid? You're kidding
            > >Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:36:56 -0800
            > >

            > >No disrespect, but why on earth would anybody want to be an unpaid
            advisor
            > >to a for-profit business?
            > >
            > >For a non-profit, sure - lots of people do pro bono work for good causes
            > >(I've done my share, too). But why would I give away what I try to sell,
            > >just to help somebody I don't know become wealthy?
            > >
            > >I mean, who's kidding who here?
            > >
            > >Ned Barnett, APR
            > >
            > >Barnett Marketing Communications
            > >

            > >At 11:19 PM 1/7/2004 -0800, you wrote:
            > > >Hello Members,
            > > >
            > > >Would like to know if there are any PR gurus, in the music,
            > >entertainment,
            > > >or technology (Internet radio, satellite)
            > > >industries. Sm2 (www.smusicmedia.com) would like you to serve as a PR
            > > >advisor for a start up (unpaid of course).
            > > >
            > > >Please let me know if you are interested, details shall follow.
            > > >
            > > >Respectfully,
            > > >

            > > >Vaus
          • anand menon
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 20, 2004
              Jessica -- well ME .... i agree with you in totality.
              Anand.
              wrote:
              > Ned,
              >
              > Amen to that.
              >
              > So now this is for everyone on the list...I don't
              > know about the rest of you
              > but is there anyone else besides me that finds it
              > offensive and insulting
              > for someone to advertise an unpaid job on a newslist
              > for PR practitioners
              > (many of whom are highly experienced and
              > credentialed)???? Is there anyone
              > besides me who questions the integrity and values of
              > any company that would
              > ask a seasoned and experienced professioinal to
              > perform services unpaid for
              > a comercial business?
              >
              > Vaus--do you not value the contribution that PR IS
              > to an organization in
              > achieving its objectives?
              >
              > ===================================
              >
              > Jessica Johannes
              > jessica_johannes@...
              > www.jessicajohannes.com
              >
              > ===================================
              >

              > >From: Ned Barnett <interned@...>
              > >To: prbytes@yahoogroups.com
              > >Subject: [prbytes] Unpaid? You're kidding
              > >Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:36:56 -0800
              > >

              > >No disrespect, but why on earth would anybody want
              > to be an unpaid advisor
              > >to a for-profit business?
              > >
              > >For a non-profit, sure - lots of people do pro bono
              > work for good causes
              > >(I've done my share, too). But why would I give
              > away what I try to sell,
              > >just to help somebody I don't know become wealthy?
              > >
              > >I mean, who's kidding who here?
              > >
              > >Ned Barnett, APR
              > >
              > >Barnett Marketing Communications
              > >

              > >At 11:19 PM 1/7/2004 -0800, you wrote:
              > > >Hello Members,
              > > >
              > > >Would like to know if there are any PR gurus, in
              > the music,
              > >entertainment,
              > > >or technology (Internet radio, satellite)
              > > >industries. Sm2 (www.smusicmedia.com) would like
              > you to serve as a PR
              > > >advisor for a start up (unpaid of course).
              > > >
              > > >Please let me know if you are interested, details
              > shall follow.
              > > >
              > > >Respectfully,
              > > >

              > > >Vaus

              === message truncated ===

              =====
              Anand Menon.
              Director,
              FinCapital
              # 793, Ist Floor,
              12th 'B' Cross, 23rd Main,
              J. P. Nagar II Phase,
              Bangalore - 560 078
              Karnataka, INDIA.
              Res 91 80 6492972
              Tel (DIR) 91 80 30619790
              Tel (Off) 91 80 30618496
              Mob: 91 80 36921995
              Email: FinCapital@...

            • alisongreen25
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 21, 2004
                Well, for people early in their careers who are trying to get
                experience, this could be a nice way to get a line on their resume
                and build their portfolio.

                --- In prbytes@yahoogroups.com, "Janine Krasicky"

              • Jessica Johannes
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 21, 2004
                  OK...consolidated responses to both emails:

                  Janine--I asked quite awhile ago if compensation was in stock or equity and
                  the guy never responded. Seems fishy that he wouldn't address compensation
                  even if it wasn't monitary. I've been in Silicon Valley for over 11 years
                  now. It was common practice (and still is to some degree) to take partial
                  payment in stock. I meet regularly with other sole practitioners and don't
                  know anyone crazy enough to do anything for 100% stock (even during the
                  bubble) because you just don't know if the gamble will be worthwhile.

                  Alison--Yes, working for free is a nice way to get a line on your resume and
                  materials in your portfolio, but the only challenge is that it can cheapen
                  the value of PR services in the eyes of c-level management types. It's a
                  tricky one but the way I see it, if they can get something out of someone
                  unpaid, what's it really worth?

                  ===================================

                  Jessica Johannes
                  jessica_johannes@...
                  www.jessicajohannes.com

                  ===================================

                  >From: "alisongreen25" <agreen@...>
                  >To: prbytes@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [prbytes] Re: Unpaid? You're kidding
                  >Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:17:02 -0000
                  >
                  >Well, for people early in their careers who are trying to get
                  >experience, this could be a nice way to get a line on their resume
                  >and build their portfolio.
                  >

                  >--- In prbytes@yahoogroups.com, "Janine Krasicky"
                  ><janinekrasicky@c...> wrote:
                  > > I agree. It is very insulting to ask for unpaid from a
                  >professional when it
                  > > is a for profit business. I can only assume that he intended to
                  >pay in
                  > > stock options or something of that nature.
                  > >
                  > > Best regards,
                  > >
                  > > Janine
                  > >
                  > > Janine M. Krasicky
                  > > Founder
                  > > J9 Media Solutions, LLC
                  > > 248.584.1411
                  > > janine@j...
                  > > www.j9media.com

                  Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software � optimizes dial-up to the max!
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 22, 2004
                    Allison

                    You might be right, except that the request was for "PR Gurus" (read down
                    the thread to see what I mean); that hardly describes people early in their
                    careers who are trying to gain experience.

                    The request was for senior PR people, who would work for free to enrich
                    strangers. An odd request, at least, and possibly insulting (to
                    some). But not something that any self-respecting PR "guru" would want to
                    undertake, IMO.

                    Ned