CJR-editor survey

  • Jim Rink
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 1998
      Columbia Journalism Review and Public Agenda have released the first in a
      series of surveys of editors and news directors. We surveyed senior
      journalists
      on their attitudes about media coverage of the Lewinsky scandal, and some of
      the findings include:
      - 60 percent would give the media a grade of "A" or "B" for its coverage
      - The journalists we surveyed were split on whether the story was overplayed
      (although the public thinks it was)
      - 69 percent say they would investigate a politican's private life based on
      whether or not it affects the official's public performance. About half say
      the
      private lives of politicians are fair game, but a majority say journalists
      should not be held to the same standard.
      This is the first in a series of surveys Public Agenda is conducting for CJR,
      and we welcome questions or comments. The results are published in the
      magazine, and posted on both Public Agenda Online
      (http://www.publicagenda.org)
      and CJR (http://www.cjr.org).

      Regards,

      Jim Rink