Tech question (i.e., I need help)

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2004
      My sound card in my PC just crapped out. Is this something an incompetent
      can fix? Or do I need to pay a shop a lot of money?

      If it's something a non-tech person (me) can fix, any suggestions or
      directions would be welcome. I think I'm competent to unscrew the cover
      and unplug/replug a sound card (if I knew what it looked like) but that's
      the limit of my "skill"

      Suggestions? Help?

      Thanks
    • pdschandra@vsnl.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2004
        Hey Ned,

        This happens when there are some loose contacts in the circuits.

        Well you need to check the chipset which is attached to the pin holes where your speaker and microphone are connected.

        If you see any loose ends or wires it can be souldered inside. But first check the power to the speakers and microphone and then the pins which go inside the CPU.

        So when the connections are all right check the chipset. If all connections are all right try using another speaker or mike just to check faulty wires of your speaker and mike.

        If this fails too then try testing the speaker and mike by using some other software this will check the software compatibility.

        THESE PREDICTIONS ARE MADE THINKING THAT YOURS IS AN INBUILT SOUND CORD. If its external its easy to check the loose ends.

        When my sound concked this is what i did! and it worked hope it works for you. And in India its not too expensive to buy a new sound cord or call a technecian. Hope you dont have to do those.

        Let me know,

        Sathish

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2004
          If you are comfortable opening a PC case and swapping a PC card, go
          for it. You can get inexpensive sound cards for for $15-20 and Windows
          XP should recognize the card when you put it in and install the
          drivers automatically. Otherwise, the card should come with an install
          CD with the drivers if Windows doesn't install the drivers.

          If yo do take it to a shop, it should be no more than a .5 hour labor
          charge plus the cost of the card.

          Tim Burke
          tburke@...

          Lexmark

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2004
            Thanks, Tim - I did open up the computer, but I'll be damned if I could
            figure out what the sound card was. I thought I could trace wires from the
            speaker outlet plug, but it was all solid-state. Totally baffling.

            The place I go has a flat rate for all work, no matter how little or how
            extensive; it averages out as a good deal (I used to have a local computer
            repair shop I trusted, but they went belly up in November).

            Again, thanks, Tim. Much appreciated - and just what I was hoping to get
            from someone on the list.

            Ned

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2004
              Shatisha

              Thanks for your help. Some of it's a bit over my head (i.e., what's a
              chipset?) but I was able to cut to the heart of it. I saw no loose wires,
              but I saw half a dozen wire clusters that weren't connected (but to
              what?). I did swap out speakers, checked the power, all the rest. Thanks
              for your guidance.

              All the best

              Ned

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2004
                At 09:31 PM 1/5/2004 +0000, you wrote:

                Thanks to all who wrote to provide tech-support help. You folks are the
                greatest!

                Ned