women writer's resource

  • Jim Rink
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 1998
      4. Emory Women Writers Resource Project [Frames]
      http://chaucer.library.emory.edu/wwrp/index.html

      A collection of women's writing from the seventeenth through nineteenth
      centuries, the Emory Women Writers Resource Project offers students the
      opportunity to edit their own primary texts. The site contains unedited
      texts, accompanying bibliographic resources and teacher aids, and examples
      of texts that students have already edited. A collaborative effort of the
      Lewis H. Beck Center, the Virtual Library Project, Professor Sheila
      Cavanagh, and graduate students at Emory, this site will be of interest not
      only to potential editors but also to readers. Though the collection is
      selective rather than comprehensive, it represents a good cross section of
      early modern women's writing, with concerns ranging from table manners
      (Hannah Wolley advises in <I>The Gentlewoman's Companion</I>, "Fill not
      your mouth so full, that your checks shall swell like a pair of
      Scotch-bag-pipes. . .") to human rights (as in Eliza Lee Follen's
      abolitionist argument in "Women's Work," "Women have a right to be heard,
      for they are all sufferers."). [TK]

      Regards,

      Jim Rink

      userg@...