survey of association readership

  • Elliott
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2003
      Greetings,
      I've recently become communications manager for a Canadian
      professional association. We publish a controlled-circulation
      magazine whose readership includes our association's members and also
      interested non-members. I have to design a survey that will query
      both groups of readers as to what they like, and what they dislike,
      about the magazine. I would appreciate it if anyone who has
      conducted such a survey of their own members/readers would be
      prepared to share the questionnaire with me, so that I could get a
      sense of the kind of questions that are important to ask.

      Thanks,
      Sheldon Gordon
      Toronto, Canada
    • David P. Dillard
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20, 2003
        In addition to what others may contribute from their own experience, two
        articles on the internet and an older published article may be helpful
        background for you in designing your questionnaire and conducting your
        readership survey.

        What Is A Survey?
        Robert Ferber, Chair
        Paul Sheatsley
        Anthony Turner
        Joseph Waksberg
        Subcommittee of the Section on Survey Research Methods
        American Statistical Association Washington, D.C.
        <http://149.170.199.144/resdesgn/survey3.htm>

        Bowing To Audience Requests Jostling Media Present Multiplying
        Methods For Counting Users
        <http://www.naa.org/presstime/96/PTIME/97/p297read.html>

        The effect of response position on trade magazine readership and usage.
        Author: Sekely, William S.; Blakney, Vicki L.
        Source: Journal of Advertising Research
        v. 34 November/December 1994 p. 53-60

        I hope that these sources are useful to you.

        Sincerely,
        David Dillard
        Temple University
        (215) 204 - 4584