A Call For Help

  • shellstar165
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
      Spire is dedicated to publishing traditionally marginalized voices of
      minority, low-income and young writers and artists who will create
      the future of arts and literature. Spire is a nonprofit, biannual
      magazine of exceptional quality.

      We concentrate on poor inner-city teens that have a great need for
      self-esteem and would benefit the most from the pride of having their
      work published. Publication is also a great resume builder for young
      adults wishing to attend college. In the fall issue we will feature
      young writers and artists from all over the country and the world.

      I spent several months tutoring in a New York City public school on
      the Lower East Side. Most of these students have never considered
      going to college and although they are very bright and creative, they
      have very low self-esteem because no one has ever taken an interest
      in them personally. If you don't believe all the horror stories about
      New York Schools, believe them now. Spire is on a mission to help
      these young adults, but we need your support.

      Our magazine publishes poetry, artwork, essays, stories, and
      nonfiction from disadvantaged young adults age 16-21 as well as some
      older pieces from volunteers and special professional contributors.
      The magazine will include beautiful color artwork from young
      struggling artists as well as a few donating professionals. The fall
      issue will include book reviews, interviews, and essays on current
      events.

      We offer scholarships, mentorships, and after-school workshops to
      struggling young writers. Soon we hope to bring professional writers
      to speak and encourage our talent.

      Many young writers and artists are excited about seeing their work in
      print (we give one free copy to everyone published, many libraries,
      and selected schools), but our funds are low and we need help.

      If more subscriptions are not sold, many hopes will be crushed!!

      For every subscription purchased by the public, a free copy is
      donated to a public library. If you would like to choose your
      library, just include a memo with the library's address.

      You will enjoy Spire Magazine, which will have full color cover, be
      8½ by 11, and feature over 50 pages full of interesting work.
      Subscriptions include two issues (+ the library donation) for only
      $24.

      You can subscribe online at www.spirepress.org
      or send $24 to:

      Spire Press
      532 LaGuardia Pl
      Ste 298
      New York, NY 10012

      Experience the award winners of tomorrow while encouraging the young
      artists of today.
    • Lea Conner
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
        Two issues for $24? I wouldn't even pay that much for my favorite
        magazine, especially without seeing a sample issue first.

        Lea

        Lea Conner, President
        Conner Dudley Communications LLC
        Seattle · Spokane, WA

        Toll-free: 1-877-604-6516
        www.connerdudley.com
        lconner@...

        PR, corporate communications and litigation-related communications.
        Contact Conner Dudley Communications LLC today for a FREE consultation!

        You can subscribe online at www.spirepress.org
        or send $24 to:

        Spire Press
        532 LaGuardia Pl
        Ste 298
        New York, NY 10012

        Experience the award winners of tomorrow while encouraging the young
        artists of today.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2428261.3848243.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1707
        248654:HM/A=1213956/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/grp/300_Cquo1/g
        22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=233351.2428261.3848243.2225242/D=egrou
        pmail/S=:HM/A=1213956/rand=870601696>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        --- [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
          At 10:22 AM 10/2/02 -0700, you wrote:
          >Two issues for $24? I wouldn't even pay that much for my favorite
          >magazine, especially without seeing a sample issue first.
          >
          >Lea

          Ditto, Lea. For that kind of money, I could buy 10 comic books, or 3
          paperback books (by known authors), or two trade paperbacks, or Sean
          Hannady's best-seller.

          My point - this is a steep price unless it's a charity write-off. If
          that's the approach, then $24 is a reasonable price indeed - but as a
          commercial venture, it's way steep. As a result, it is only likely to
          reach and appeal to those who would treat it AS IF it were a charity
          write-off thing, and (among that group) only those who had a pre-existing
          commitment to help those writers who will be showcased. At that point, I
          think the price is low - for that audience, $24 an issue is not out of line.

          Just my $.02 worth as someone who used to work in marketing for three
          different publishers (and who published his own newsletters, too).

          Ned

          >Lea Conner, President
          >Conner Dudley Communications LLC
          >Seattle · Spokane, WA
          >
          >Toll-free: 1-877-604-6516
          >www.connerdudley.com
          >lconner@...
          >
          >PR, corporate communications and litigation-related communications.
          >Contact Conner Dudley Communications LLC today for a FREE consultation!

          Fellow, ASHMPR

          Barnett Marketing Communications
          Exceptional Marcom Services for Exceptional Clients

          420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3 - 276
          Las Vegas, NV 89110
          Phone: 702-696-1200 * Cell: 702-561-1167 * FAX: 702-696-1211
          interned@...
          NedWriter@... (used on the road)
          http://www.barnettmarcom.com (under construction)

          BMC - A Sound Investment in Exceptional Success