BREAKING NEWS: Gale Launches E-Books with OCLCs netLibrary

  • David P. Dillard
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2002
      Gale is a major and reputable publisher of a wide variety of important
      reference books. NetLibrary is an electronic web based library of full
      text electronic books covering a wide range of subject fields that was
      purchased recently by OCLC.

      Gale Launches E-Books with OCLCs netLibrary
      http://www.infotoday.com/newsbreaks/nb020930-2.htm

      September 30, 2002 Gale Group (http://www.gale.com), a business unit of
      Thomson Corp., has launched an e-book program that will make a large
      collection of its reference material available to online library patrons
      through netLibrary (http://www.netlibrary.com). Any library with a
      netLibrary account can access the Gale e-books. At press time no list of
      titles was available, but the company plans to offer 30 to 50 of them
      sometime this fall with hundreds more scheduled for the future. Initial
      titles will include single-volume and multivolume reference works, some
      from the Macmillan and Scribner lines. Prices for e-book versions of the
      Gale collection will increase the prices of the print versions.

      Full Story May be Read at the URL Above

      Sincerely,
      David Dillard
      Temple University
      (215) 204 - 4584
      jwne@...
    • Lea Conner
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
        I'd love to see their market research, as I really don't see people
        paying 3/4 of the cover price for an e-book.

        Lea

        Lea Conner, President
        Conner Dudley Communications LLC
        Seattle . Spokane, WA

        Toll-free: 1-877-604-6516
        www.connerdudley.com
        lconner@...

        PR, corporate communications and litigation-related communications.
        Contact Conner Dudley Communications LLC today for a FREE consultation!

      • David P. Dillard
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
          The NetLibrary marketing model will not involve people paying for the
          "book" at all. This will be bought and owned or leased, depending on
          purchasing decisions, by libraries and library consortia. Libraries in my
          area already have made purchases of groups of publications from NetLibrary
          and I have actually used books in their collection and paid nothing to use
          and see these books. I have posted a message that discuss the companies
          involved on the MediaMentor discussion group that has a public archives.
          That message may help with this matter.

          In addition, it should be remembered that the books in question coming
          from Gale are primarily reference books like the Encyclopedia of
          Associations and Acronyms and Initialisms Dictionary. The primary markets
          for such books would be libraries and commercial users, not households.

          Sincerely,
          David Dillard
          Temple University
          (215) 204 - 4584