NEWS: Baseball Strikes Out at Fans Operating Websites for the Teams They Love

  • David P. Dillard
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2002
      Baseball has gone to court to force closing of websites created
      by fans for teams that these fans love and support. One must
      wonder if this will have an impact on fans already discouraged
      with baseball for the potential of a strike now averted that would
      have ended or curtailed this years season? Will some fans be even
      more of the view that baseball has become more business than
      sport as a result of these actions?

      ----------------------------

      Baseball strikes out fan websites
      By Nick Farrell [02-09-2002]
      <http://www.vnunet.com/News/1134723>

      Major US baseball leagues are cracking down on fan websites,
      demanding that they remove any traces of official logos.

      -----------------------------

      Baseball tries to bench fans' sites
      MLB accuses four Web operators of using logos for profit
      September 2, 2002 Posted: 8:09 AM EDT (1209 GMT)
      <http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/articles/
      20020901/424759.html>

      Baseball officials said the legal brushback was just business,
      nothing personal. They moved against the four websites because,
      baseball claims, they used team logos or trademarks to draw site
      traffic or turn a profit.

      "We encourage fans to speak about baseball, and to produce
      websites," said Ethan Orlinsky, senior vice president and general
      counsel for Major League Baseball Properties. "We're simply
      asking they do it within the confines of the law."

      -----------------------------

      Baseball tries to bench fans' sites
      MLB accuses four Web operators of using logos for profit
      September 2, 2002 Posted: 8:09 AM EDT (1209 GMT)
      <http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/09/02/
      baseball.fansites.ap/index.html>

      NEW YORK, New York (AP) -- Back in 1996, 14-year-old
      Bryan Hoch launched a Web site devoted to his beloved
      New York Mets. Four years later, New York Yankees fan
      Jim Frasch did the same for the Bronx Bombers.

      This summer, with baseball seemingly consumed by the
      just-resolved labor dispute, the two superfans were stunned
      when Major League Baseball tried to bench their sites and
      those of at least two other fans.

      ----------------------------

      Full stories may be read at the URLs above.

      If baseball is successful in removing fan websites from the internet
      landscape, this website directory may find its contents substantially
      altered.

      The Directory Of Web Sites By And For Fans
      <http://www.allstarsites.com/>

      Sincerely,
      David Dillard
      Temple University
      (215) 204 - 4584
      jwne@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2002
        At 10:25 AM 9/2/02 -0400, you wrote:

        David

        Having just narrowly averted a melt-down strike that might have wiped out
        the game for all time (or at least, one may have so hoped), Major League
        Baseball is now shooting itself in the foot, PR-wise. Will some fans. as
        you suggested, finally decide that baseball is more business than sport? I
        mean, now many shoppers have fan sites for WalMart, or Boeing, or Microsoft?

        This has to be the dumbest, most ill-timed PR move I've seen in ... well, I
        can't remember.

        In my opinion, if baseball is successful in removing fan websites from the
        internet landscape, there will be chilling effects on the Internet. I
        don't think they'll succeed (not unless these four sites are acting in a
        criminal fashion). But it makes a great case for using off-shore ISPs in
        the Caymans, doesn't it?

        And this whole brouhaha shows how ditch-dumb the owners of Major League
        Baseball have become - when it comes to PR, they not only don't have a
        clue, they're not sure where to buy or rent one ...

        Thanks for raising this issue.

        Fellow, ASHMPR

        Barnett Communications
        Exceptional Communications for Exceptional Clients

        420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3 - 276
        Las Vegas, NV 89110
        Phone: 702-696-1200 * Cell: 702-561-1167 * FAX: 702-696-1211
        interned@...
        NedWriter@... (used on the road)