Looking for statistics on association membership and conference attendance

  • scott_mills_atlanta
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2002
      Trying to illustrate trends in both membership of associations and
      conference attendance. Does anyone have any ideas?

      Best regards,
      Scott Mills
      678-781-7201
    • David P. Dillard
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
        You may want to start this search using a print edition of the Statistical
        Abstract of the United States that is available in most libraries and use
        the subject index in the back and check the TABLE numbers that it indexes
        under words like associations, conferences, meetings, or organizations or
        whatever synonyms they index under for these concepts.

        You could contact this organization and find out what data they provide.
        They may require paid membership before sharing information, but it is
        still possibly worth the attempt to get data without joining and paying,
        if they provide that service.

        American Society of Association Executives
        The ASAE Building
        1575 I St., N.W.
        Washington, DC 20005-1103
        Phone: 202-626-2723
        Fax: 202-371-8825

        and check this website that has an abstract to a resource that seems to be
        relevant to what you are looking for that is published by this
        organization:

        facts & stats: Meeting & Expo Section
        <http://www.asaenet.org/newsletters/display/0,1901,652,00.html>

        Here are some websites that you could try for links to organization
        information resources that may provide links to statistical data sources
        or sources of discussion of organization membership trends:

        American Society of Association Executives' Gateway to
        Associations
        http://info.asaenet.org/gateway/OnlineAssocSlist.html

        Federation of International Trade Associations
        http://www.fita.org/index.html

        Trade Associations: Federal Consumer Information Center
        Provides contact information and URLs for selected industry associations.
        Each entry has a brief annotation about the association's membership
        and/or function.
        http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/crh/trade.htm

        Trade Associations - Internet Public Library on Associations
        http://www.ipl.org/ref/AON/

        United States Chambers of Commerce
        http://www.globalindex.com/chamber/uscc.htm

        U.S. Council for International Business
        http://www.uscib.org/index.html

        -------------------------------

        The Encyclopedia of Associations published by Gale will provide the number
        of members in each organization that they cover for which the publisher
        Gale has this data for these organizations. This publication will be
        available in print or online at most public and academic libraries that
        are of substantial size.

        If you want to do some in depth research on this topic, I recommend that
        you find a major academic or public library that carries both American
        Statistics Index (ASI) and also carries Statistical Reference Index (SRI).
        ASI indexes the statistical content of Federal Government publications
        including not just Federal statistical publications, but also Federal
        publications that contain substantial statistical content like
        Congressional hearings that include statistical data. SRI covers
        statistical sources other than the Federal Government. Coverage includes
        publications of state governments, organizations, statistical supplements
        of periodicals and trade association publications that have statistical
        content or sections. These sources are produced by Congressional
        Information Service that is owned by Elsevier's Lexis-Nexus group. Since
        these publications are indexes:

        You will need to do keyword searches in each to locate relevant source
        citations.

        Refer from the titles index to the entry number of the source in the
        Abstract volume to get needed citation details regarding probative
        publications and sources.

        Look up the source in library catalogs and find the sources indexed in ASI
        and SRI in library collections or in the microfiche collections of sources
        indexed by ASI and SRI if the libraries you use collect these microfiche
        sets. ASI and SRI can also be used to collect citations to sources with
        data on conference attendance.

        By the way there is also an international statistics index published by
        Congressional Information Service as well.

        I hope that you find some productive routes to finding the information
        that you are looking for.

        Sincerely,
        David Dillard
        Temple University
        (215) 204-4584
        jwne@...

        ------------------------------

        On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, scott_mills_atlanta wrote:

        > Trying to illustrate trends in both membership of associations and
        > conference attendance. Does anyone have any ideas?

        > Best regards,
        > Scott Mills
        > 678-781-7201
      • techvenue_eventmaster
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
          Scott,

          Are you focusing on any vertical regarding associations, etc.? In
          any case, I could suggest that you pick out a few organizations
          listed in the calendars at http://TechVenue.com and contact the
          organizations leadership to ask them about their stats, etc.

          If that doesn't do it for you, contact me and I can put you in touch
          with a few people who run regular annual conferences.

          Regards,

          David
          ______________________________________
          David Flint
          President/CEO
          http://TechVenue.com - Your Regional Business Technology Events
          Calendar
          USA Phone/Fax: 011 (866) 391-7764
          ______________________________________

          --- In prbytes@y..., "scott_mills_atlanta" <scott@w...> wrote:
          > Trying to illustrate trends in both membership of associations and
          > conference attendance. Does anyone have any ideas?
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Scott Mills
          > 678-781-7201
        • Scott Mills
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2002
            David:

            Interesting site, thanks for the heads up. I am working with Oracle Applications Users Group -- enterprise-wide application technology (no industry vertical). The group does have meetings in Austrailia and in Europe. The North American conference is the biggest. We were hoping to get an idea how other organizations were doing, for example are most conference attendance down 20% 30% ? How is membership in organizations? My client does not know how they are doing compared to others.

            Nice to meet you,
            Scott

            Are you focusing on any vertical regarding associations, etc.? In
            any case, I could suggest that you pick out a few organizations
            listed in the calendars at http://TechVenue.com and contact the
            organizations leadership to ask them about their stats, etc.

            If that doesn't do it for you, contact me and I can put you in touch
            with a few people who run regular annual conferences.

            Regards,

            David
            ______________________________________
            David Flint
            President/CEO
            http://TechVenue.com - Your Regional Business Technology Events
            Calendar
            USA Phone/Fax: 011 (866) 391-7764

            --- In prbytes@y..., "scott_mills_atlanta" <scott@w...> wrote:
            > Trying to illustrate trends in both membership of associations and
            > conference attendance. Does anyone have any ideas?
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Scott Mills
            > 678-781-7201

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2303158.3720906.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1707248654:HM/A=810327/R=0/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2303158.3720906.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1707248654:HM/A=810327/R=1/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>