Bad taste commercials

  • Jube
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2002
      I saw the Gateway commercial where the parents trap
      their kids, hog tie them and take them to the school
      bus. Thought that was in bad taste and went on. Then
      the Staples commercial came on with the dad gleefully

      shopping for back to school stuff with music about
      the best time
      of the year, all the while the kids were sadly
      walking
      behind. Then there was another commercial about kids
      being tricked, trapped in
      the car by their PAENTS, thinking they were going to
      the water park, when it was back to school time.

      Kids have enough problems with their self esteem,
      treated like prisoners in
      schools without these offensive commercials making it
      seem like parents are
      euphoric about having them returning to school. Are
      we as public relations
      professionals responsible to tell our clients when
      commercials like this may
      backfire upon them? At what point is funny no longer
      funny? Do we just sell
      the commercial to get the account, or do we look at
      our social obligation to
      uplift our society? Thoughts to ponder.
      Blessings,
      Jube@...