Re: [prbytes] Percentage of operating costs for PR/Marketing?

  • Lynn Collins
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2002
      Thanks Wendy
      ----------
      From: Wendy Lambke <wlambke@...>
      To: "'prbytes@yahoogroups.com'" <prbytes@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [prbytes] Percentage of operating costs for PR/Marketing?
      Date: Mon, Dec 31, 2001, 10:09 AM

      This probably doesn't completely answer your question, but I recently heard
      at a seminar that the money companies spend on PR should equal 15% of what
      they spend on advertising.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2002
        Thanks Bill

        Lynn

        ----------
        From: "William Waites" <sanibelart@...>
        To: <prbytes@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Sat, Dec 29, 2001, 10:30 PM

        What is the base you are measuring your marketing percentage against?
        Revenue or grants or total operating budget?

        Also, what are your marketing objectives? What is your estimate of what it
        would cost to accomplish them? This will help you arrive at a percent from
        the other end, based on what is necessary to meet your objectives.

        Whatever is included make sure it is clear before you agree to it. You don't
        want to be thinking your budget is for one thing and your boss thinks it
        includes something else.

        Hope this helps.

        William Ernest Waites
        I work in a college museum. Is there a general percentage used
        for institutions to gauge how much should be spent annually on
        pr and marketing? Anybody out there know the magic number?
        I'm guessing its 15 to 20%. Also, if you would, please explain
        how this is defined...i.e. including staff salaries, printing,
        advertising, etc.

        I'm new to the group. Hello and thank you in advance for your
        advice.

        Best regards,

        Lynn Collins
        Director of Public Information