6280The latest meaningless buzz word in marketing

    Jul 9, 2014
      Last week, I was reading about the latest innovation in marketing - billed
      as "the next step beyond social media marketing." It's called Fusion
      Marketing, and it's the subject of a book, and (I've been told) a process
      patent or something related. It is (as Briscoe County Jr. famously said
      back in the day) "the next big thing ."

      It should shake the world. That's what it's advocates are saying, and lots
      of people seem to believe them.

      Are you ready?

      Wait for it .

      Fusion Marketing is (gasp) the blending of social media marketing with
      sales, marketing, media PR (media relations) and other marcom communications

      Imagine that! <g>

      Actually, the guy who's doing this and creating all the buzz is serving
      (preying on?) those who thought that social media marketing was new,
      different and unlike anything else - generally young eager-beavers who
      "believed" that they were doing something unique in all the world . but,
      having mastered that, they're ready to move on to the next phase.

      ing> &ie=UTF8&qid=1404899022&sr=1-1&keywords=fusion+marketing

      I expect to see a lot of "buzz-worthy" crap written about Fusion Marketing.

      I'm not sure exactly how to tell them that this is exactly what I (and you,
      probably, and almost all of our PR peers) have been doing for right around a
      decade, give or take a year or two. I started blogging and integrating that
      into my PR in 2002 - and at the time I began, I felt like I was way behind
      the curve, since I knew others who'd been doing that for two or three years
      by then.

      I guess it's all about packaging, and screaming the loudest, and getting
      people to believe that what you're recycling is actually new and different.

      Lon Safko, president of a business he calls "Innovative Thinking" (should
      that be "innovative repackaging of reality as PR and marketing folks have
      been practicing reality for a decade . ) is making a name for himself.

      So, what say you? Innovative thinking for those who thought "social media
      marketing" was EVERYTHING, or recycled business-as-usual reality for the
      rest of us? Or both?

      All My Best

      <http://www.barnettmarcom.com/> www.barnettmarcom.com - twitter @nedbarnett