6276RE: [prbytes] A PR Disaster Unfolding

    Jun 28, 2014
      To me, the problem is one of basic liberty and respect for the individual.
      The last hospital I worked at while smoking was still allowed had laminar
      flow rooms (with overpressure) so the smoke wouldn't go out of the room
      (instead, it was forced out of the building), so no one was hurt by the
      alleged risk of second-hand smoke. But once political correctness
      overwhelmed common sense, they began forcing addicted patients into
      withdrawal for the "crime" of being admitted to a hospital (sometimes
      against their will or without their permission, as in the case of accident
      victims or others brought in by ambulance). The results, as Duncan noted,
      involved patients on the street, smoking - or, as I saw in hospitals after
      the changeover, patients self-discharging themselves because the agony of
      withdrawal was more than they could bear, regardless of short-term health
      risks.

      This was obvious folly - no matter that people were forced to go cold-turkey
      (and not even offered a patch or nicotine gum for the withdrawal), as soon
      as they were out, they'd revert to habit. So it wasn't getting people free
      from addiction - just making an already frightening and uncomfortable
      hospital stay even worse.

      All My Best

      www.barnettmarcom.com <http://www.barnettmarcom.com/> - twitter @nedbarnett