6124OT - PC Run Amok

    Aug 21, 2013
      Three headlines in Drudge this morning highlight the ravages of political
      correctness in the world today (all of them involving more-or-less
      domesticated animals) - and, when offset by stories of hundreds of people
      being gassed to death in Syria, NSA spying globally, bored teen-agers
      murdering people on a whim and unemployment spiking back to 8.9 percent, all
      this PC stuff seems (to me) to be remarkably petty.

      One article decried, at great length, the horrors of someone killing and
      barbecuing one of the Queen's swans. Since when did the UK become
      vegetarian? Sauce for the Goose, anyone?

      Another article decried, at even greater length (and with less clarity) the
      fact that some disabled people claim that "others" are faking it when they
      present Fido as a service dog. Horror of horrors, one man who found himself
      caught in the rain chose (will it never stop?), rather than walking his dog
      home in the rain, to take a bus and claim Rex was a service dog. Having had
      a wet dog on occasion, I find it hard to criticize this innovation. A
      disabled advocate claims that these actions by others harm her and other
      really disabled people, but she never suggested quite how.

      Finally, the advocates for adopting shelter pooches instead of pure-bred
      dogs are up in arms because the First Family decided to get yet another pure
      bred mutt as a new puppy. Oh, the humanity!

      Look, I've got nothing against rescuing animals. My last dog was what I
      called a "door-step dog," (he was a stray, huddling miserably against our
      glass sliding door in a rainstorm, clearly formerly abused and scared to
      death, but also hungry for human companionship). Loved that dog for years.
      And two several of our cats have been rescued shelter cats (though one of
      them is supposedly a pure-bred, but she's also the smallest "Maine Coon"
      I've ever seen).

      To add hilarity to mockery in that last story, it was reported that the
      Obama family, upon purchasing this hyper-bred puppy, made a donation to the
      animal shelter "in the name of Sunny" . I guess they were buying an
      indulgence or a carbon credit (so to speak) to offset the horrors of buying
      a dog that wasn't a shelter dog.

      Has the world got nothing better to do than to whine about imagined slights
      while trying to force others into their ideas of what politically correct
      behavior ought to be?