5028Re: [SmallShopNetwork] Re: [prbytes] xp - World Cup Hype, Sponsorships and the like

  • ana lydia ochoa
    Jun 10, 2010
      Ned,

      Albeit late, read the following articles that highlight World Cup advertising revenues and market share:

      http://www.socceramerica.com/article/38391/us-world-cup-tv-audience-keeps-growing.html

      http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/08/sports/soccer/08sandomir.html

      You should also keep a close-eye on any industry trade publications as they will continue to highlight ad revenue, consumers reached, world-wide market-share growth, etc. throughout the Cup schedule.
      --
      Ana Lydia Ochoa
      padma media & marketing, Inc.

      Twitter.com/LatinaPRpro
      LinkedIn.com/AnaLydiaOchoa
      Facebook.com/pages/Los-Angeles-CA/padma-media-marketing/8757051745

      ________________________________
      From: "Ned Barnett" <ned@brandltd. com>
      Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:35:55 -0700
      To: <PRMindshare@ yahoogroups. com>;
      <prbytes@yahoogroups .com>; <prquorum@yahoogroup s.com>;
      <SmallShopNetwork@ yahoogroups. com>
      Subject: [prbytes] xp - World Cup Hype, Sponsorships
      and the like

      Folks, I'm trying to figure out the World Cup
      2010 hype and the benefits (if
      any) of sponsorship. I have to admit I'm not a big World Cup fan, but since
      the USA is lining up to be a host in the future, I'm trying to figure out
      how this compares to America's annual advertising binge tied to the
      Superbowl (or perhaps the World Series - or all the playoff games leading to
      the Superbowl).

      My experience with sponsorships and hype are tied to the 1996 Atlanta
      Olympics and the 2008 Beijing Olympics (I helped a client become the
      "official operating system of the 2008 Beijing Olympics). It doesn't
      extend
      into World Cup soccer, and it's a bit out of date (I negotiated the 2008
      deal in 2001). So I invite your insights.

      To focus my questions (and your answers), consider this:

      * How have either the massive sponsorship deals and/or the sponsors'
      marketing campaigns fared till now?
      * Have the companies who are official sponsors been able to leverage
      any meaningful or measurable advantage from the event hype so far?
      * What have been the total financial outlays in terms of sponsorship
      of the event?
      * Are there any significant differences in sponsorship deals this time
      as compared to previous World Cup sponsorships?
      * How is the event going to affect the non sponsor companies who are
      not paying hefty sponsorship fees, but are nonetheless creating huge
      marketing campaigns surrounding the event?
      * This year's World Cup is being held in the Union of South Africa -
      which is both African (duh), predominantly black and NOT a world-class
      soccer competitor. Perhaps coincidentally, perhaps not (which is my
      question), this year's World Cup hype seems decidedly muted (or so I've been
      told by people who care). In the end, does racism or a dismissal of
      African nations and/or a dismissal of non-competitive nations factor into
      this lowering of the hype and value of sponsorship that seems to be the case
      this year (or so I've been told)?

      If you've got any links to write-ups on this upcoming World Cup from a
      sponsorship/ advertising perspective, I'd like to see those, too.

      Thanks

      Ned

      Ned Barnett

      Executive V.P. of Marketing
      Brand, LTD
      8379 W Sunset Rd #215

      Las Vegas, NV 89113

      (702) 696-1200

      Fax (702) 257-2501

      email: <mailto:pam@brandltd. com> ned@brandltd. com

      <http://www.brandltd.com/>
      www.brandltd. com

      strategic, creative integrated marketing solutions

      cid:3338267929_ 19574468

      Please consider the environment before printing this email. P