4902Re: [prbytes] XP - Phrase Origins

  • Rob Frankel
    Feb 11 7:12 AM
      At 11:35 AM -0800 1/28/10, Ned Barnett wrote thusly:
      >http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/sayindex.htm
      >

      >If you're a word-origin junkie like I am, you're going to love this site.
      >
      >Warning - it will eat your mind for hours if you start browsing .

      I always love these sites, but be careful - they're not always right.
      The phrase "Over a barrel" is clearly wrong. The origin of that
      phrase originated when a target was in someone's gun site -- the
      target was "over a barrel" of a gun, not a wooden cask filled with
      anything like oil or pickles.

      FYI

      --
      Rob Frankel

      "Branding is not about getting your prospects to choose you over your
      competition; it's about getting your prospects to see you as the only
      solution to their problem." (TM) -- Rob Frankel, branding expert and
      author of "The Revenge of Brand X: How to build a Big Time Brand on
      the web or anywhere else."
      http://www.RobFrankel.com
      Blog: http://www.robfrankelblog.com
      818-990-8623 or 1-888-ROBFRANKEL * E-Fax 413-778-0909
      AIM/SKYPE/GIZMO: ROBFRANKEL Twitter: @brandingexpert
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic