3555Re: Slightly OT: Hiring Interns for PR firm

    Jan 23, 2007
      Sorry for the response to this older topic. Yahoo sent me a message
      that the message had been rejected because the moderator didn't
      approve it within 14 days. Hoping Jim has the chance to OK this one!

      ---

      Regarding compensation: we offer $500 for six weeks of work,
      figuring on 10-15 hours per week.

      Although I always said I would comply with whatever requirements
      were necessary to assure college credit or grade or whatever, I
      found the schools to be a bit loosey-goosey about it. I think only
      once did I have to even sign a piece of paper that said someone had
      completed their hours.

      I should also mention that many PR students will prefer the opps at
      the big agencies. They don't always see the little niche firm as a
      feather in their cap when their peers are working at the brand-name
      places.

      We had a great intern from USC who just wanted something close to
      her parents' house in the 'burbs. While her classmates were
      answering phones, sending faxes and making coffee at the big L.A.
      agencies, she was writing press releases, calling editors, sitting
      in on all the staff meetings, and interacting with clients. I
      thought we might have been overworking her, but as it turned out,
      she was the envy of her class!