3530Re: [prbytes] Re: Slightly OT: Hiring Interns for PR firm

    Jan 4, 2007
      This can be a great idea - after all, "Lincoln freed the slaves ...
      but not the interns" - however, you'll want to make sure of one
      thing: that the interns receive non-monetary compensation to provide
      them the value they're working for.

      I've been on all three sides sides: I've been an exploited intern
      (the exploitation was so bad that I actually changed my career goals
      and went into PR and not into what I'd planned for my career; I've
      been an employer who hired interns, and who provided them with
      mentoring and a career-valuable (or academic-value) work experience;
      and I've been a PR professor placing students in internship
      opportunities, trying to ensure that they got learning value to
      compensate for their low/no salary positions. In having been in all
      three roles, I have found the following:

      a. You should plan to spend enough quality time with the intern
      explaining what s/he is doing for you so that the student actually learns

      b. If possible, work with the intern's major professor to ensure
      that the student receives credit for the internship (this makes you a
      defacto faculty member - it's an important responsibility) - for many
      students, academic credit is more valuable than cash

      If you just assume that these are no-skill "mailroom-clerk" minimum
      wage grunts then you're exploiting them. If, however, you treat them
      as proto-PR people and let them "do" some (low-level) PR stuff, and
      especially if you take the time to show them how their efforts fit
      into the larger PR initiative, then you're doing a good thing for the
      interns, helping them transition from student to PR professional.

      That's my take on it.

      Ned

      >--- In <mailto:prbytes%40yahoogroups.com>prbytes@yahoogroups.com,
      >bellashouseofpr@... wrote:
      > >
      > > Im ready! I am going to start hiring interns for my company
      >but have never done it before...Any one on list have any experience
      >with this? I am really not sure where to start other than call the
      >schools and would like an inside perspective on best practices.
      > >
      > > Thanks all in advance for your help and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
      > >
      > > Tiffany Carr
      > > Bella's House of PR
      > > www.bellashouseofpr.com
      > > tiffany@...

      Marketing/PR Fellow, AHA

      Barnett Marketing Communications
      Exceptional Marcom Services for Exceptional Clients

      420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3 - 276 - Las Vegas, NV 89110
      Phone: 702-696-1200 * FAX: 702-696-1211
      ned@... - http://www.barnettmarcom.com

      Barnett on PR: http://barnettmarcom.blogspot.com/
      Barnett on Marketing: http://barnettonmarketing.blogspot.com/
      Barnett on Book Promotion/Marketing/Publishing:
      http://barnettonpublishing.blogspot.com/

      BMC - A Sound Investment in Exceptional Success