Ventilated rainscreen plans for the SB DIYer?

  • tgmclean
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2006
      Hey, gang --

      I've gone through Lacinkski and Bergeron's text, and reviewed the CMHC
      references (read, horror stories), on the issue of moisture and SBs.
      Not to start any flame-wars here, but I'm strongly considering going
      with a ventilated rainscreen (VRS, aka., PER) on the exterior wall.
      Just think of it as a mortgage-risk-avoidance thing.

      Any references on how a DIY builds a VRS/PER? Lacinski and Bergeron
      paint a picture with words on pp. 223-228 in their text (and draw a
      little picture on p. 169), but... a (better) picture's worth a
      thousand you-knows.

      The best example I've been able to find to this point is a CMHC reference:

      http://cmhc.ca/en/imquaf/himu/upload/The-Rain-Screen-Wall-System.pdf

      Unfortunately, it isn't really targeted at DIYers. I could make it up
      from these pictures and Lacinski and Bergeron's words, but it'd be
      nice to be given a diagram a bit more... illustrative.

      Many, many thanks in advance,

      -- TG
    • Hank Carr
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2006
        TG wrote:

        > Unfortunately, it isn't really targeted at DIYers. I could make it up
        > from these pictures and Lacinski and Bergeron's words, but it'd be
        > nice to be given a diagram a bit more... illustrative.

        The CMHC paper is aimed at the commercial building market.

        Are you planning to do this over a plaster finish or instead of one? Do you
        have any ideas about how you would do it? If you can describe it to me I'll
        try to draw something up (keeping in mind that I've only got 7 high school
        drafting courses but nothing more so I don't claim to be a draftsman.)

        As I always say...have you spoken to someone who has experience building
        straw bale buildings in your area? This sounds to me like it is going to be
        a fairly expensive proposition (if you use a system like the ones described
        in the CMHC literature) and may not add proportionally to the performance of
        the wall system. I think it is always a good idea to speak with someone who
        has done it before where you are planning to do it for a sanity check of
        sorts.

        Hank.