"Yo! Pimp My Shack, Dude!"

  • Chris Green
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2005
      This morning's New York Times on-line edition has an article about how
      to convince people to become active in green and sustainability issues,
      entitled "It's Not Sexy Being Green (Yet.)

      http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/02/fashion/sundaystyles/02conserve.html?8hpib

      One comment from the article states:

      > Ms. Lee noted that one of the new cool activities for teenagers
      > involves rejiggering old diesel cars to make them run on cooking
      > grease and other forms of so-called bio-diesel.
      >
      > "It intersects car culture, which is always a point of interest for
      > young people, and a way to benefit the environment," she said. "Plus
      > it's public creative expression because it smells."

      Uh-huh. The theme of the article is that to make the Green movement more
      mainstream, we need to make it trendy by making it sexy. Your basic
      advice from Madison Avenue's advertising gurus here.
      So maybe what we need is a television series in which where Daisy Duke
      coverts the General Lee to run on biodiesel or maybe hydrogen,
      entitled "Bio-Survivor©" or where some hip-hop artist (?) has his house
      built, or retrofitted with, straw bales, solar panels, a living roof,
      and a grey water system, perhaps to be entitled "Yo! Pimp My Shack, Dude!©"

      Cheers,

      Chris Green.