Tub

  • Hank Carr
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
      I'm happy to say that I actually got the tub installed and functional BEFORE
      the baby arrived. Now Anita will be able to have a bath to sooth her sore
      back. Here is what the stone rug looked like after it was grouted and
      sealed. The wood edge you see with the holes is actually a piece of STEN
      from Ikea that I used as a temporary grout stop until I put down the bamboo
      flooring.

      http://www.dna.ca/house/DSC06881.JPG

      and here is what the tub looks like installed:

      http://www.dna.ca/house/DSC06891.JPG

      Hank.

    • Tina Therrien/Peter Mack
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2005
        nice timing, hank. it looks awesome!

        i think you probably already mentioned this, but i'll ask again,and see
        if i remember your answer. since they are slate tiles, which will need
        sealing, did you seal them (both sides) before installation? that's
        what we're considering for our bathroom shower (nope, still not done!).
        and another question: does anyone know of a non-toxic sealant for
        tiles? available at local building stores, preferably...i'm holding up
        our project, i confess, waiting to find a suitable product.

        cheers,
        tina

        On 1-Jul-05, at 5:57 PM, Hank Carr wrote:

        > I'm happy to say that I actually got the tub installed and functional
        > BEFORE
        > the baby arrived. Now Anita will be able to have a bath to sooth her
        > sore
        > back. Here is what the stone rug looked like after it was grouted and
        > sealed. The wood edge you see with the holes is actually a piece of
        > STEN
        > from Ikea that I used as a temporary grout stop until I put down the
        > bamboo
        > flooring.
        >
        > http://www.dna.ca/house/DSC06881.JPG
        >
        > and here is what the tub looks like installed:
        >
        > http://www.dna.ca/house/DSC06891.JPG
        >
        > Hank.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Camel's Back Straw Bale Construction
        www.strawhomes.ca
      • Hank Carr
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2005
          > nice timing, hank. it looks awesome!

          Thanks! Anita had her first bath last night. She says the tub works really
          well.

          > i think you probably already mentioned this, but i'll
          > ask again,and see if i remember your answer. Since
          > they are slate tiles, which will need sealing, did you
          > seal them (both sides) before installation? that's
          > what we're considering for our bathroom shower (nope,
          > still not done!).

          In total, I sealed them four times. I sealed them once after they were set
          and before I grouted so that the grout wouldn't stain them and would be
          easier to remove. Once they were grouted and thoroughly cleaned I sealed
          them three times to protect them.

          I don't think you want to seal the backs of the tiles because it would
          reduce the adhesion of the thin set. The slate tiles are VERY textured and
          every little ridge, edge, and hole will grab and hold onto grout.

          For the stone rug I used a polymer modified sanded grout, ignored their
          instructions to wipe it off after only 5 - 10 minutes of setting since it
          seemed really liquid still, then spent three hours with a scrubby sponge and
          popsicle sticks cut at 45 degree angles rubbing grout off the surfaces and
          digging grout out of the ridges of the tiles. Ugh.

          > and another question: does anyone know of a non-toxic
          > sealant for tiles? available at local building stores,
          > preferably...i'm holding up our project, i confess,
          > waiting to find a suitable product.

          I used a water based tile sealer that I bought at Home Depot. I just went
          up and read the label and it says that it may be harmful if swallowed. I'm
          not sure why anyone might swallow tile sealant but hey, to each his own.
          This stuff has quite low VOCs and makes your finger nailes nice and shiny.
          I actually wear gloves when I apply it. What about using something like
          carbnauba wax of bees wax?

          Hank.
        • MMcLean
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
            Stunning, as usual. Or, under the circumstances, should I say STEN-ning.
            <ducks and runs>

            Marsha McLean
            "There's no such thing as `one, true way'; the only answers worth having are
            the ones you find for yourself; leave the world better than you found it.
            Love, freedom, and the chance to do some good -- they're the things worth
            living and dying for, and if you aren't willing to die for the things worth
            living for, you might as well turn in your membership in the human race." -
            Diana Tregarde (M Lackey)

            _____

            I'm happy to say that I actually got the tub installed and functional BEFORE
            the baby arrived. Now Anita will be able to have a bath to sooth her sore
            back. Here is what the stone rug looked like after it was grouted and
            sealed. The wood edge you see with the holes is actually a piece of STEN
            from Ikea that I used as a temporary grout stop until I put down the bamboo
            flooring.

            http://www.dna.ca/house/DSC06881.JPG

            and here is what the tub looks like installed:

            http://www.dna.ca/house/DSC06891.JPG

            Hank.

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            on the web.

            _____

          • Hank Carr
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
              Thanks, Marsha.

              I'm really pleased with how it turned out. More importantly, Anita is

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              _____