A D.I.Y. baling machine or press, (and a bamboo bale house?)

  • Chris Green
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5 3:46 AM
      I posted this on the Straw Bale Building Facebook page, but thought I should repost it here: Some of you might want to save the how-to pdf for the D.I.Y. baling 'machine' or press.

      Cheers,

      Chris Green.

      The link at the end of this post is for a page about a homemade baling
      machine used in baling pine needles. Pine straw is probably not very
      useful in straw bale construction, except possibly as infill, but this
      D.I.Y box could be adapted for use in pre-compressing and re-tie straw
      bales so they'll fit in smaller openings (lengthwise).
      Could be. Haven't tried it yet...

      One could also make their own straw bales, but that seems like it would
      be more fiddley work than most of us are prepared to undertake these
      days.

      Okay, okay- more than I'm currently prepared to do.

      On the other hand, if it takes only 10 nice days to make enough bales,
      that could be like paying oneself up to $150- $175 a day.... (bales here
      can run $7 each...)

      However, it does open up the possibility
      of including some dried willow twigs/ bamboo sections in the bale with
      the straw, so the twig reaches from the inside to outside of the wall.
      That might have some added structural value in some situations, but
      that's a guess on my part without actual testing.

      It also
      might be possible for some folks in the right locations to make willow
      twig or bamboo bales. That would be worth trying, I'm sure. [ Any
      comments aye or nay on that? ]

      How cool would a bamboo bale building be? :-)

      http://essmextension.tamu.edu/pinestraw/baling.html