Re: crack and joint filling

  • hankcarrcell
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 21, 2011
      We used Farrow and Ball Estate Emulsion on all of our walls. It works very well over structolite and setting type drywall compound.

      Why do you think that milk paint won't stick to drywall compound? Have you tried it? There are a number of different types of compounds with different formulations that might work for you. The setting type compounds, SR90 and FS90, SR45 and FS45, and even faster versions might work though they are a bit of a pill to work with.

      Shortcuts to filling cracks are rarely shortcuts at all. Do it right or you're going to have to do it over again, and again, and again.

      We tried plaster of paris on our exterior cracks with EcoHouse paint over it with less than good results. The cracks on the outside of our house are much smaller than those on the inside so they're not presenting an immediate danger. I'll get to them at some point.

      Hank.

      --- In practical-sbc@yahoogroups.com, "Donna" <orleansdonna@...> wrote:

      > I remember viewing this years ago. Thanks for the reminder. But my plaster walls are hand rubbed and I hope to paint them with milk paint which just flakes off drywall goo, and the drywalled walls and ceiling are all painted as I thought I might be just caulking the interior joints. My knees are week thinking about taping and mudding but if that's the only option...
      >
      > How have you repaired any exterior cracks or have you?
      >

      > --- In practical-sbc@yahoogroups.com, "hankcarrcell" <hank@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I use 90 minute drywall compound and fibreglass mesh drywall tape. I've done all of the drywall to plaster joints this way and used the same method to repair cracks in the plaster on the inside of the straw bale wall.
      > >
      > > I fix cracks once and have not had one re-crack in 8 years. Yes, the folks on the other lists will tell you that while it has been 8 years failure is imminent and at any moment these cracks will reopen so widely that it will create a rift in the universe that will suck out entire house inside out, I'm not losing any sleep at night.
      > >
      > > Here's a video that I posted a while ago. The sounds sucks and I do the entire thing in my PJs because I was sick and tired of the BS on the other SB lists about how cement plasters constantly crack and how long it takes to fix them. This video is in real time, in a crack under a window in the kid's bedroom, and is completely invisible to this day. I can post a picture if anyone is sceptical and wants proof.
      > >
      > > I hope this helps.
      > >
      > > http://www.dna.ca/sbportal/fixing-a-crack.shtml
      > >
      > > Hank.
      > >
      > > http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr
      > >

      > > --- In practical-sbc@yahoogroups.com, "Donna" <orleansdonna@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Where would one find current methods of crack filling and joint sealing techniques? I need to seal the joints between drywall and plaster all through-out the interior and need advice on product selection. Also, have recurring cracks on the plaster so my sanded and non-sanded grout attempts have not worked out. Really would like to get at this, but need some advice.
      > > > Thanks in advance.

    • Donna
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
        I was at a sb home where the folks had painted milk-paint over drywall and it just flaked off, but I don't know if the walls had been primed or not. They just advised that I don't attempt it.

        So the F&B Emulsion will be ok on the cement lime plaster? Thats great news.
        Thanks again.