straw bale house insurance

  • fifthwinds
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2010
      Hi everyone

      I need some information regarding insurance on straw bale houses. I live in Ontario and have just been informed by my insurance company they will be discontinuing my coverage. This policy has only been in place for a few months since it is just a new building. Apparently the insurance company found my web site and was alarmed at what they found. You can check it out at www.fifthwind.ca I must admit my project is a little out of the box. Nevertheless I need to find an alternative to my dilemma. Does anyone have name of companies I could contact; I was with Farmer's Mutual. I also need company insurance since they will no longer cover me for that either.

      Looking forward to any information, thank you

      Henry Wiersma

      905-342-3666
    • Leslea
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2010
        Henry... After looking at your site (admittedly not all the spots), I'm not clear on why they're pulling out. the pix look like active construction sites & only idiots think things are CLEAN during construction.

        What the hey?

        Leslea

        --- On Mon, 12/13/10, fifthwinds <fifthwinds@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone
        >
        > I need some information regarding insurance on straw bale
        > houses. I live in Ontario and have just been informed by my
        > insurance company they will be discontinuing my coverage.
        > This policy has only been in place for a few months since it
        > is just a new building. Apparently the insurance company
        > found my web site and was alarmed at what they found. You
        > can check it out at www.fifthwind.ca I must admit my project
        > is a little out of the box. Nevertheless I need to find an
        > alternative to my dilemma. Does anyone have name of
        > companies I could contact; I was with Farmer's Mutual. I
        > also need company insurance since they will no longer cover
        > me for that either.
        >
        > Looking forward to any information, thank you
        >
        > Henry Wiersma
        >
        > 905-342-3666
      • Ben Polley
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 14, 2010
          Hi Henry,

          You may wish to contact our broker, Heather McIntyre of CRE Insurance.
          She has experience hunting down suitable Ontario based insurer's for
          a variety of out of the ordinary projects including several of our
          past clients. She also handles our company errors and ommissions
          insurance (for design work), general liability (for construction) and
          course of construction (for the projects themselves while in progress)
          insurance.

          Heather can be reached at heather@... 1-866-273-4677

          Best of luck.

          Ben