Looking for resources.

  • anne nonomus
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8 12:14 PM
      Hello Folks,

      We're up about 10 minutes east of Bracebridge about to break ground for our
      post and beam strawbale home. I'm starting to count sticks and source
      materials. I'm looking for a local supplier for my straw bales, I'm also
      looking for the closest source possible for some good raw clay. I've been
      putting the word out to excavators, but haven't had much luck yet. Anyone
      got any sources I can try? There's tons of it a bit further south, but I'd
      like to truck it as little as possible. Down the road this summer, we'll be
      looking for someone(s) with a significant amount of experience in bale
      raising and plaster mixes to hire/barter for services to foreman our bale
      raising with volunteers and help me get my earthen plaster recipe just
      right, Oh and I guess we'll also be looking for anyone interested in
      volunteering.. (I did the SBD course in 2005, but would like someone with a
      bit more experience to guide us through this, I'm old, I've forgotten much).
      We have 20 acres of old growth forest, and room to camp, luxurious
      facilities include an outhouse, a ... well ok that's about it, but by the
      time we are bale raising we should have hydro and hopefully a well. across
      the road is the Muskoka River, great for fishing, swimming, kayak/canoeing
      after the work days done. (we might even be able to set you up in one of
      our floating craft, we have extra). Bonfires and jamming in the evenings.
      I like ya I might even feed ya.

      For Barter/sale - we've got wood, lots and lots of wood. Some for fire
      wood, much that would be a shame to use for firewood, as it is quite large,
      and very millable, (White Pine, Maple, Birch). Catch is, we neither have
      the time, energy, desire or resources to deliver it, so you'd have to
      arrange for transport. We might be hiring a portable mill in to mill some
      of it for our own future use, and could work something out with you if you
      wanted milled stuff instead of rounds. We're willing to hear what you have
      to barter, we're building a house and need, well... everything, so let us
      know what you got to trade, (expertise, labour, materials), heck we'd even
      take cash if we must.

      CJ

    • Ben Polley
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9 5:31 AM
        Hi CJ,

        Congrats on getting your new home underway!

        We have worked on several projects in the Bracebridge area with one
        wrapped up just last week and another due to start this Fall. We
        haven't sourced local straw up there in a couple of years though I
        believe that the most consistent local-ish supply - perhaps more
        southerly than you are seeking - was from a large farming operation
        called "Hall's" north of Barrie. There are however plenty of smaller
        suppliers between Orillia and Gravenhurst, it is only a matter of
        finding them and determining if they have any straw when required.

        We haven't found local to you sources of clay, except in very small
        quantities from well drillers. Granite though, that we find a-plenty!

        Depending on timing (as with everything), we have two experienced lead
        hands who regularly facilitate strawbale raisings and teach the finer
        details of proper preparation of the walls for plaster as well as the
        plastering iteself. Feel free to drop me a line if you are
        interested...I can imagine that the bonfires and jammin will interest
        our guys!

        Very best of luck in your endeavours. Looking forward to hearing more
        about your project as it is underway.

        Cheers,
        Ben Polley

        Quoting anne nonomus <anne.nonomus@...>:

        > Hello Folks,
        >
        > We're up about 10 minutes east of Bracebridge about to break ground for our
        > post and beam strawbale home. I'm starting to count sticks and source
        > materials. I'm looking for a local supplier for my straw bales, I'm also
        > looking for the closest source possible for some good raw clay. I've been
        > putting the word out to excavators, but haven't had much luck yet. Anyone
        > got any sources I can try? There's tons of it a bit further south, but I'd
        > like to truck it as little as possible. Down the road this summer, we'll be
        > looking for someone(s) with a significant amount of experience in bale
        > raising and plaster mixes to hire/barter for services to foreman our bale
        > raising with volunteers and help me get my earthen plaster recipe just
        > right, Oh and I guess we'll also be looking for anyone interested in
        > volunteering.. (I did the SBD course in 2005, but would like someone with a
        > bit more experience to guide us through this, I'm old, I've forgotten much).
        > We have 20 acres of old growth forest, and room to camp, luxurious
        > facilities include an outhouse, a ... well ok that's about it, but by the
        > time we are bale raising we should have hydro and hopefully a well. across
        > the road is the Muskoka River, great for fishing, swimming, kayak/canoeing
        > after the work days done. (we might even be able to set you up in one of
        > our floating craft, we have extra). Bonfires and jamming in the evenings.
        > I like ya I might even feed ya.
        >

        > For Barter/sale - we've got wood, lots and lots of wood. Some for fire
        > wood, much that would be a shame to use for firewood, as it is quite large,
        > and very millable, (White Pine, Maple, Birch). Catch is, we neither have
        > the time, energy, desire or resources to deliver it, so you'd have to
        > arrange for transport. We might be hiring a portable mill in to mill some
        > of it for our own future use, and could work something out with you if you
        > wanted milled stuff instead of rounds. We're willing to hear what you have
        > to barter, we're building a house and need, well... everything, so let us
        > know what you got to trade, (expertise, labour, materials), heck we'd even
        > take cash if we must.
        >
        > CJ

      • Ben Polley
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9 5:56 AM
          Hi all,

          While we had intended that we would not be adding further to our core
          group in the forseeable future, since having had Melanie Scott (grad
          of the SBD program from 2 years ago) join us a Project Coordinator and
          Senior Designer, however you know what they say about the best laid
          plans...

          Thus it is with happiness that I am sending this out to our colleagues
          and a few closed lists before posting more publicly. We are presently
          in need of a few new good people:

          1) We are looking for another full time project manager at our sister
          biz, Evolve Builders Group Inc (really rudimentary website recently
          posted), ideally to operate from KW, Cambridge area though if the
          candidate lived anywhere within 30-60 minutes of this area could
          probably work just fine. The projects will include both new
          construction and renovation (both residential and light-commercial).
          While we would love someone who is already a skilled project manager
          from some field of work, and can pay accordingly, we would also be
          willing to entertain hiring someone with the right aptitudes, attitude
          and a skill/experience set who is somewhat more junior in nature. In
          such an instance, they would begin as a Site Supervisor under the
          tutelage of our Senior Project Manager, Chris Vander Hout, and we
          would help them develop into a full fledged construction project
          manager.

          As with all of our core roles, the individual will tend to have a
          secondary role for time when they are not needed to manage their own
          project(s) full time. This secondary role could be plastering,
          finishing, framing or whatever skill set/interest that they have that
          is related to construction. Thus hands on opportunities as well as
          office time and management time are all part of the mix.

          We could hire this individual any time based on availability though we
          will be seeking to fill the position no later than the beginning of
          August.

          2) We also have need for a semi-skilled (sort of 3rd yr carpentry
          apprentice in terms of skill level) carpenter to hire for a short
          term: approx 4 weeks from mid July to mid August.

          3) We have intention to hire immediately a suitable SBD grad or other
          similarly experienced individual to work with our straw and plaster
          team beginning presently on a Parry Sound area project (5-7 weeks),
          then a few projects ranging from Hariston, Durham, Fergus and Guelph
          that involve straw work, cement-lime plaster and earthen plaster. We
          could commit to hiring this individual full time until the end of
          August and may be able to extend them to end of September or possibly
          into October.

          I haven't formally posted for any of these positions as yet. If we
          find suitable candidates by early this week via contacts like you then
          we won't be posting; otherwise public postings will go up mid next
          week. If you know anyone who could be ideal, have them contact me
          directly by way of sending a resume and cover letter ASAP.

          Cheers,
          Ben Polley

          www.harvesthomes.ca
          519-265-6546

          Quoting anne nonomus <anne.nonomus@...>:

          > Hello Folks,
          >
          > We're up about 10 minutes east of Bracebridge about to break ground for our
          > post and beam strawbale home. I'm starting to count sticks and source
          > materials. I'm looking for a local supplier for my straw bales, I'm also
          > looking for the closest source possible for some good raw clay. I've been
          > putting the word out to excavators, but haven't had much luck yet. Anyone
          > got any sources I can try? There's tons of it a bit further south, but I'd
          > like to truck it as little as possible. Down the road this summer, we'll be
          > looking for someone(s) with a significant amount of experience in bale
          > raising and plaster mixes to hire/barter for services to foreman our bale
          > raising with volunteers and help me get my earthen plaster recipe just
          > right, Oh and I guess we'll also be looking for anyone interested in
          > volunteering.. (I did the SBD course in 2005, but would like someone with a
          > bit more experience to guide us through this, I'm old, I've forgotten much).
          > We have 20 acres of old growth forest, and room to camp, luxurious
          > facilities include an outhouse, a ... well ok that's about it, but by the
          > time we are bale raising we should have hydro and hopefully a well. across
          > the road is the Muskoka River, great for fishing, swimming, kayak/canoeing
          > after the work days done. (we might even be able to set you up in one of
          > our floating craft, we have extra). Bonfires and jamming in the evenings.
          > I like ya I might even feed ya.
          >

          > For Barter/sale - we've got wood, lots and lots of wood. Some for fire
          > wood, much that would be a shame to use for firewood, as it is quite large,
          > and very millable, (White Pine, Maple, Birch). Catch is, we neither have
          > the time, energy, desire or resources to deliver it, so you'd have to
          > arrange for transport. We might be hiring a portable mill in to mill some
          > of it for our own future use, and could work something out with you if you
          > wanted milled stuff instead of rounds. We're willing to hear what you have
          > to barter, we're building a house and need, well... everything, so let us
          > know what you got to trade, (expertise, labour, materials), heck we'd even
          > take cash if we must.
          >
          > CJ

        • Rick OBrien
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 9 7:21 AM
            Hi Ben,

            Please see my attached resume. With regards to the junior site supervisor position you may be interested in my credentials. If my skills and experience do not suit your expectations please keep me in mind for other roles that may open up. I am available to start immediately.

            Regards,
            Rick O'Brien

> [...]

            > after the work days done. (we might even be able to set you up in one of
            > our floating craft, we have extra). Bonfires and jamming in the evenings.
            > I like ya I might even feed ya.
            >

            > For Barter/sale - we've got wood, lots and lots of wood. Some for fire
            > wood, much that would be a shame to use for firewood, as it is quite large,
            > and very millable, (White Pine, Maple, Birch). Catch is, we neither have
            > the time, energy, desire or resources to deliver it, so you'd have to
            > arrange for transport. We might be hiring a portable mill in to mill some
            > of it for our own future use, and could work something out with you if you
            > wanted milled stuff instead of rounds. We're willing to hear what you have
            > to barter, we're building a house and need, well... everything, so let us
            > know what you got to trade, (expertise, labour, materials), heck we'd even

          • Rick OBrien