Straw Bale Plans

  • hankcarrcell
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 18, 2010
      Hello straw bale folks.

      It's been a while since I posted anything. Things have been busy on the Carr family front with Lily getting bigger and starting school this year and her brother David arriving a year ago next week.

      I've had several people email me about the free straw bale plans that Anita and I used to offer. When I migrated a bunch of the straw bale related stuff out of the Organic Environments website and into the Straw Bale Portal website the plans got lost in the shuffle.

      I had another request today and happened to be in a position to do something about it right away.

      The plans are not back on the SB Portal website.

      http://www.sbportal.ca

      Follow the link to Straw Bale Plans in the top menu.

      There you will find complete drawings for the 10' x 14' workshop building (I'm sitting in one right now writing this message), several floor plans we developed for a client who eventually gave up on building a home, and the much sought after Anita's Small House Plans.

      The Anita's Small House plans, for those of you who may not be familiar with them, are a set of complete plans for a 25' x 25' (interior) one and one half storey home. It is a very open floor plan to reduce costs with a large loft above and a great space below. These drawings are absolutely complete and include everything you should need to get a building permit. Our intention was to make a complete set of engineering and application ready drawings available and as far as we know these are the only drawings of this type available anywhere for free. The building is small but includes a living room, dining room, kitchen with laundry, bathroom, and large loft. The loft space is not planned in the drawings we have made available. It could be used as a loft bedroom for a single person, closed into one large bedroom for a couple, or divided into two smaller bedrooms for a young family. We intended this building to be an excellent small starter home which could be built quickly and easily.

      Hank.
    • Clarke2
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 18, 2010
        Thanks.

        I'm new here, intending to build in AZ soon.

        Being more of a visual type, these plans are going to make understanding all
        this easier.

        Dan
        It's been a while since I posted anything. Things have been busy on the Carr
        family front with Lily getting bigger and starting school this year and her
        brother David arriving a year ago next week.
      • Sherri Spahn
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 18, 2010
          Hi. My name is Sherri and I'm thinking ofbuilding a circular straw bale house (900 sq. feet) this summer. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who has build circular straw bales houses?

          Thanks!

          To: practical-sbc@yahoogroups.com

          It's been a while since I posted anything. Things have been busy on the Carr
          family front with Lily getting bigger and starting school this year and her
          brother David arriving a year ago next week.

        • Hank Carr
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 18, 2010
            There are a couple of notable round buildings in the OSBBC. Sean Flanagan
            and Maureen Corrigan at Buckhorn and Hop Hill Horse Stable at Uxbridge.

            Tina Therrien of Camel's Back Construction helped with the stable.

            Hank.
          • Bob Wilson
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 18, 2010
              *Hi Sherri,

              I'm Bob Wilson. I don't have information to offer, yet, but wanted to
              make contact. I've just inherited some money and have a son who's a
              contractor, and my plan is to buy some land in Van Zandt County TX
              (where my abolitionist ancestors settled in 1850) and build a round
              strawbale house. I'm planning on a slab and steel roof (my son does
              steel buildings) with Icynene to insulate the roof, and a 40' inside
              diameter. A quarter of it will be workshop -- I do metal and wood
              sculpture and make knives and swords.

              I"ll probably have about enough money, hopefully, to get the land,
              septic/water/power and a plastered strawbale shell with no insides about
              the time I run out of money. And then I'll take it from there.

              Anyway, we might run across things that we'd want to pass on to each other.

              Be well,

              Bob*

              Sherri Spahn wrote:
              > Hi. My name is Sherri and I'm thinking ofbuilding a circular straw bale house (900 sq. feet) this summer. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who has build circular straw bales houses?
              >

              > Thanks!
              >

              > To: practical-sbc@yahoogroups.com
              > From: clarke2@...
              > Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:40:53 -0800
              > Subject: Re: [practical-sbc] Straw Bale Plans
              >

              > Thanks.
              >
              > I'm new here, intending to build in AZ soon.
              >
              > Being more of a visual type, these plans are going to make understanding all
              > this easier.
              >
              > Dan

            • robert b
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 18, 2010
                Hi Sherri,

                greetings from oklahoma. I am building using two circles in my design. See rob's project in the pics..... There are horse barn builders that build round horse barns, fairly cheaply. my email is brianrm2358@....

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 18, 2010
                  *Woops sorry everybody -- I meant to be replying privately to Sherri,
                  but now that you know what I'm up to, expect me to be more active on
                  this loop*.

                  Bob Wilson wrote:

                  > *Hi Sherri,
                  >
                  > I'm Bob Wilson. I don't have information to offer, yet, but wanted to
                  > make contact. I've just inherited some money and have a son who's a
                  > contractor, and my plan is to buy some land in Van Zandt County TX
                  > (where my abolitionist ancestors settled in 1850) and build a round
                  > strawbale house. I'm planning on a slab and steel roof (my son does
                  > steel buildings) with Icynene to insulate the roof, and a 40' inside
                  > diameter. A quarter of it will be workshop -- I do metal and wood
                  > sculpture and make knives and swords.
                  >
                  > I"ll probably have about enough money, hopefully, to get the land,
                  > septic/water/power and a plastered strawbale shell with no insides about
                  > the time I run out of money. And then I'll take it from there.
                  >
                  > Anyway, we might run across things that we'd want to pass on to each
                  > other.
                  >
                  > Be well,
                  >
                  > Bob*
                  >
                  > Sherri Spahn wrote:
                  > > Hi. My name is Sherri and I'm thinking ofbuilding a circular straw
                  > bale house (900 sq. feet) this summer. Can anyone point me in the
                  > direction of someone who has build circular straw bales houses?
                  > >

                  > > Thanks!
                  > >

                  > > To: practical-sbc@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:practical-sbc%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > > From: clarke2@... <mailto:clarke2%40znet.com>
                  > > Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:40:53 -0800
                  > > Subject: Re: [practical-sbc] Straw Bale Plans
                  > >

                  > > Thanks.
                  > >
                  > > I'm new here, intending to build in AZ soon.
                  > >
                  > > Being more of a visual type, these plans are going to make
                  > understanding all
                  > > this easier.
                  > >
                  > > Dan

                • Sherri Spahn
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 19, 2010
                    Bob, thanks for e-mailing me back! Your plan sounds very similar to my own - however, I'm planning on 600 sq. feet on the bottom and then either a 2nd floor loft area, or having a complete 2nd floor done for 1200 sq. feet total. I too am thinking cement slap, steel roof and usig Icynene for roof instilation. However, I have to get engineering and floorplans due to POA covenents before I can really get going. I'm planning on building in Crestone, Co (a real straw bale haven in Colorado).

                    What I'm trying to wrap my head around now is:

                    1. What to use for heating

                    2. How do you hang cabinets on a round wall????

                    Good luck on your project!

                  • Leslea
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 19, 2010
                      Sounds like a pretty kewl project.

                      For heat, radiant in floor? Even a wood or pellet stove in the middle? Heat would radiate out ward nicely heating things quite evenly I suspect. :D

                      The cabinet thing... choice 1, have a flat wall in the kitchen & have the cabinets there. or choice 2. Custom fit round cabinets :D (probably cheapest to make yourself or have someone who can do it cheap for you).

                      GOOD LUCK, sounds quite intriguing!

                      Leslea

                      --- On Tue, 1/19/10, Sherri Spahn <SHERRISPAHN@...> wrote:

                      > Bob, thanks for e-mailing me back!  Your plan sounds
                      > very similar to my own - however, I'm planning on 600 sq.
                      > feet on the bottom and then either a 2nd floor loft area, or
                      > having a complete 2nd floor done for 1200 sq. feet
                      > total.  I too am thinking cement slap, steel roof and
                      > usig Icynene for roof instilation.  However, I have to
                      > get engineering and floorplans due to POA covenents before I
                      > can really get going.  I'm planning on building in
                      > Crestone, Co (a real straw bale haven in Colorado).
                      >
                      > What I'm trying to wrap my head around now is:
                      >
                      > 1. What to use for heating
                      >
                      > 2. How do you hang cabinets on a round wall????
                      >
                      > Good luck on your project!

                      http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com
                    • Sherri Spahn
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 19, 2010
                        Yeah, I may go with a wood stove. I've heard mixed reviews on Radient floors.

                        To: practical-sbc@yahoogroups.com
                        From: leslea_kate@...
                        Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:50:37 -0800
                        Subject: RE: [practical-sbc] Round Strawbale Houses

                        Sounds like a pretty kewl project.

                        For heat, radiant in floor? Even a wood or pellet stove in the middle? Heat would radiate out ward nicely heating things quite evenly I suspect. :D

                        The cabinet thing... choice 1, have a flat wall in the kitchen & have the cabinets there. or choice 2. Custom fit round cabinets :D (probably cheapest to make yourself or have someone who can do it cheap for you).

                        GOOD LUCK, sounds quite intriguing!

                        Leslea

                        --- On Tue, 1/19/10, Sherri Spahn <SHERRISPAHN@...> wrote:

                        > Bob, thanks for e-mailing me back! Your plan sounds
                        > very similar to my own - however, I'm planning on 600 sq.
                        > feet on the bottom and then either a 2nd floor loft area, or
                        > having a complete 2nd floor done for 1200 sq. feet
                        > total. I too am thinking cement slap, steel roof and
                        > usig Icynene for roof instilation. However, I have to
                        > get engineering and floorplans due to POA covenents before I
                        > can really get going. I'm planning on building in
                        > Crestone, Co (a real straw bale haven in Colorado).
                        >
                        > What I'm trying to wrap my head around now is:
                        >
                        > 1. What to use for heating
                        >
                        > 2. How do you hang cabinets on a round wall????
                        >
                        > Good luck on your project!

                        http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com

                      • Leslea
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 19, 2010
                          The downstairs bathroom at my sis' place has a radiant heat source in it... & it's AWESOME. I don't know how well it'd work for the whole house, but when you get out of a hot bath, it's nice to not step out onto icy tiles :D ... Her floor has the electric radiant heat in it.

                          Something I've wondered about, is the option of having a small wood or pellet stove, that has a hot water heat element in it of some type... That could in turn go to a hot water tank which in turn sends water through radiant heating pipes in the floor.

                          Yeah, I'm cheap & want extreme efficiency one day :D

                          Leslea

                          --- On Tue, 1/19/10, Sherri Spahn <SHERRISPAHN@...> wrote:

                          > Yeah, I may go with a wood stove.  I've heard mixed
                          > reviews on Radient floors.

                        • Hank Carr
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 19, 2010
                            We have radiant in our house and wouldn't have anything else. Ever.

                            It's the best.

                            Hank.

                          • Sherri Spahn
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 19, 2010
                              Does anyone have any ball-park figures for the cost of radiant heating? Specifically for 600 sq. feet?

                              To: practical-sbc@yahoogroups.com
                              From: hank@...
                              Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:37:42 -0500

                              We have radiant in our house and wouldn't have anything else. Ever.

                              It's the best.

                              Hank.

                            • mindfulhome_deb
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 20, 2010
                                --- In practical-sbc@yahoogroups.com, Sherri Spahn <SHERRISPAHN@...> wrote:

                                > Bob, thanks for e-mailing me back! Your plan sounds very similar to my own - however, I'm planning on 600 sq. feet on the bottom and then either a 2nd floor loft area, or having a complete 2nd floor done for 1200 sq. feet total. I too am thinking cement slap, steel roof and usig Icynene for roof instilation. However, I have to get engineering and floorplans due to POA covenents before I can really get going. I'm planning on building in Crestone, Co (a real straw bale haven in Colorado).
                                >

                                > What I'm trying to wrap my head around now is:
                                >

                                > 1. What to use for heating
                                EASIEST WOULD BE WOOD COOKSTOVE -- MOST FUN WOULD BE SCANDINAVIAN STONE FIREPLACE ... ONE WITH EITHER A SLEEP SLAB OR A BREAD OVEN WOULD BE FABULOUS AND THE CHIMNEY WOULD RADIATE HEAT ALL THE WAY UP.

                                > 2. How do you hang cabinets on a round wall????

                                YOU DON'T, YOU DO WHAT THE EUROPEANS DO => THEIRS ALL STAND INDEPENDENTLY
                                FREE OF ANY WALL ATTACHMENT. IT REALLY GETS TO BE FUN WHEN YOU REARRANGE THE FURNITURE AND INCLUDE THE KITCHEN IN THE PROCESS. OR YOU COULD USE A NUMBER OF KITCHEN QUEENS -pullout work surfaces, upper and lower storage, some have sugar/flour/vegetable storage bins..... VERY CRAFTSMAN OR COUNTRY STYLE....

                                > Good luck on your project!

                                DITTO: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PROJECT

                                Mindfulhome_deb
                              • robert b
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 21, 2010
                                  I am building a round straw bale house. (See Robs project in the photo section), I have also put in radiant heat flooring. I am planning a central fire place (my own design), and putting in corner chimney in each bed room. If I need a fireplace I will put them in. If not I will leave them plugged. I put in the radiant heat myself. In oklahoma the average temp. is in the 70's so I went with 1' foam board underneath, and 1/2 inch pex. 300ft rolls so I wouldnt have to have any couplings under the slab. The cost was probably about 2000 dollars to do my 4000sq ft house. That is not including the boiler and surface equipment.

                                  rob in ok

                                  --- In practical-sbc@yahoogroups.com, Sherri Spahn <SHERRISPAHN@...> wrote:

                                  > Does anyone have any ball-park figures for the cost of radiant heating? Specifically for 600 sq. feet?
                                  >

                                  > To: practical-sbc@yahoogroups.com
                                  > From: hank@...
                                  > Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:37:42 -0500
                                  > Subject: RE: [practical-sbc] Round Strawbale Houses
                                  >

                                  > We have radiant in our house and wouldn't have anything else. Ever.
                                  >
                                  > It's the best.
                                  >
                                  > Hank.

                                • Sherri Spahn
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 21, 2010
                                    Are you missing a zero below?? $2,000 is really great! How are you planning on setting up your Kitchen?

                                    To: practical-sbc@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: brianrm2358@...
                                    Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:15:28 +0000
                                    Subject: [practical-sbc] Re: Round Strawbale Houses