organic straw?

  • Livio Passera
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
      Katie's question about allergies and straw got me thinking.

      Does organic straw exist? Or is that just overkill for the purposes
      of straw bale building?

      thanks,
      Livio Passera

    • Alvin Heskett
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
        Does it need to be free range organic straw that died
        a natuural death, harvested by elven fairies in the
        full moon light? Should it have blown into the
        construction site by a pollution free wind, bound by
        hemp rope woven by native americans? Just wondering.

        After awhile I just want to get an airstream pulled
        around by a cummins diesel and drive back and forth in
        front of a baling party tooting the air horn.

        alvin

        --- Livio Passera <livio@...> wrote:

        > Katie's question about allergies and straw got me
        > thinking.
        >
        > Does organic straw exist? Or is that just overkill
        > for the purposes
        > of straw bale building?
        >
        > thanks,
        > Livio Passera

        > removed]

        __________________________________
        Discover Yahoo!
        http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
      • Hank Carr
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
          > Does it need to be free range organic straw that died
          > a natuural death, harvested by elven fairies in the
          > full moon light? Should it have blown into the
          > construction site by a pollution free wind, bound by
          > hemp rope woven by native americans? Just wondering.

          Ok...that was funny.

          On a more serious note, you probably could buy organic straw (though there
          is probably no program to certify straw organic so it would need to be the
          straw from a field of certified organic grain) but why would you? Were you
          thinking about the quality of the straw? Pesticides?

          Hank.
        • Livio Passera
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
            Just wondering if it was possible that there might be straw without herbicides or pesticides
            on it out there.

            thanks.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
              I'm sure there is. John Wise who built a house in Centerville (it is the
              yellow one with the three storey tower) grew his own straw on his organic
              farm. That would be organic straw. I'm not sure how prevalent the use of
              pesticides and herbicides on grains is.

              Hank.

              _____

              > Does it need to be free range organic straw that died
              > a natuural death, harvested by elven fairies in the
              > full moon light? Should it have blown into the
              > construction site by a pollution free wind, bound by
              > hemp rope woven by native americans? Just wondering.

              Ok...that was funny.

              On a more serious note, you probably could buy organic straw (though there
              is probably no program to certify straw organic so it would need to be the
              straw from a field of certified organic grain) but why would you? Were
              you
              thinking about the quality of the straw? Pesticides?

              Hank.

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Cathy McGregor Smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
                we have been certified organic farmers for over 20 years....we are building
                our strawbale/timberframe house using our white pine trees and our "organic"
                strawbales from our organic barley and wheat fileds......the grain is has
                been harvested to feed our 1000 laying hens producing eggs for presidents
                choice organics and organic meadow brands.
                so there is such a thing as organic straw

                cathy mcs
                >> Does it need to be free range organic straw that died
                >> a natuural death, harvested by elven fairies in the
                >> full moon light? Should it have blown into the
                >> construction site by a pollution free wind, bound by
                >> hemp rope woven by native americans? Just wondering.
                >
                > Ok...that was funny.
                >
                > On a more serious note, you probably could buy organic straw (though there
                > is probably no program to certify straw organic so it would need to be the
                > straw from a field of certified organic grain) but why would you? Were
                > you
                > thinking about the quality of the straw? Pesticides?
                >
                > Hank.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Hank Carr
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
                  We are just FULL of good answers today.

                  I just took an introduction to timber framing course at Lee Valley. I want
                  to get up and take the multi-day workshop with Mark and Sue at some point
                  (though they scheduled their workshops this year on either side of the
                  expected arrival of the newest member of the bale building community, Lily.)
                  Are you building the timber frame yourselves?

                  The more we encourage through our buying practices small, sustainable,
                  organic agriculture the healthier the industry will be. Anita and I are big
                  believers in supporting small farms.

                  Hank.

                  _____

                  >> Does it need to be free range organic straw that died
                  >> a natuural death, harvested by elven fairies in the
                  >> full moon light? Should it have blown into the
                  >> construction site by a pollution free wind, bound by
                  >> hemp rope woven by native americans? Just wondering.
                  >
                  > Ok...that was funny.
                  >
                  > On a more serious note, you probably could buy organic straw (though there
                  > is probably no program to certify straw organic so it would need to be the
                  > straw from a field of certified organic grain) but why would you? Were
                  > you
                  > thinking about the quality of the straw? Pesticides?
                  >
                  > Hank.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Tina Therrien/Peter Mack
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
                    organic straw certainly does exist...one of our OSBBC members, who is
                    an organic farmer, grew his own organic home. most homes in the
                    province aren't grown with organic straw, but you can source it out if
                    you care to. if you have to truck it across the province, just 'cuz
                    it's organic, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you can get local
                    straw from a neighbouring farmer. remember that your straw will soon be
                    encased completely with a thick plaster skin. however, if you want the
                    leftover straw for mulch, and only want organic mulch for your garden,
                    then it's worth researching.

                    tina

                    On 1-Jun-05, at 1:17 PM, Alvin Heskett wrote:

                    > Does it need to be free range organic straw that died
                    > a natuural death, harvested by elven fairies in the
                    > full moon light? Should it have blown into the
                    > construction site by a pollution free wind, bound by
                    > hemp rope woven by native americans? Just wondering.
                    >
                    > After awhile I just want to get an airstream pulled
                    > around by a cummins diesel and drive back and forth in
                    > front of a baling party tooting the air horn.
                    >
                    > alvin
                    >
                    > --- Livio Passera <livio@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Katie's question about allergies and straw got me
                    >> thinking.
                    >>
                    >> Does organic straw exist? Or is that just overkill
                    >> for the purposes
                    >> of straw bale building?
                    >>
                    >> thanks,
                    >> Livio Passera

                    >> removed]

                    Camel's Back Straw Bale Construction
                    www.strawhomes.ca
                  • mark
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 11, 2005
                      couldn't resist this thread..... we have grown lots of certified
                      organic straw the last few years, and have a small amount in the
                      barn now. I would say that herbicide residue in conventionally
                      grown straw would be very close to zero.. Small grain crops, like
                      wheat, barley, oats, rye, spelt, etc receive the least amount of
                      spray on conventional farms. It's the soil that carries most of the
                      residue.... SO please try to search out an organic farmer if you
                      can!!!! most areas of the province have at least one.
                      -mark, near peterboro, ont.

                      --- In bale-on@yahoogroups.com, "Livio Passera" <livio@t...>