RE: [practical-sbc] i want help with my straw please

  • Bill Christensen
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2008
      At 4:53 AM -0700 10/15/08, Mahmoud Sarhan wrote:

      >i hired the machine making the bales and made some or may be many
      >bales and i want to know how to keep them dry for a longtime until i
      >find someone to buy it in order to use it in a beneficial way.
      >i know i sound like a pen in the ass but i just wanna try.
      >thanks

      Hi Mahmoud,

      Well, if you just want to try, why don't you try constructing
      yourself a building to store the rest of the bales in?

      Otherwise, there are other ways to store them such as under tarps.
      Stack the bales on pallets and avoid having the tarp touching the
      straw directly in order to reduce the chance of rot. Though there
      are probably a lot of opinions on how to best tarp your bales, here's
      one suggestion from another discusion list:

      "Pallets on ground covered in plastic sheet, then more pallets, this
      stops moisture wicking up from the ground, then stack your bales, then
      place pallets on top stacked with an overhang and covered with old
      carpet to stop pallet corners tearing the tarp, then the tarp covering
      at least halfway to the ground but not fully to allow air to circulate
      around."

      Though I've never used them myself, I've heard that rice bales are
      particularly good because of the high slilca content, which reduces
      the fire risk and problems with insects.

      I'm not aware of any strawbale buildings in Egypt as yet, so you may
      be a true pioneer. If you do build something let us know at
      <http://sbregistry.greenbuilder.com> (and here, of course!).

      You're welcome to list your bales at <http://StrawLocator.com>, a
      donations-only classified ad board for straw and straw construction
      tools.

      --
      Bill Christensen
      <http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>