Everdale FARM CELEBRATION-This Saturday!

  • lynn at everdale
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2008
      Come Enjoy a Day on the FARM at the
      Everdale 2008 FARM CELEBRATION
      July 12, 2008 from 10:00am-4:00 pm

      This is a great chance to spend a day on the farm, have loads of fun
      and learn something new!

      Kids Activities:
      o 10:30, 12:30, 2:30 Egg Collecting Adventure: Why do farms
      raise chickens? What are chickens used for? What is the difference
      between a rooster and a hen? What is a chicken's wattle? What is a
      chicken's comb? How can you tell what colour the egg of a chicken
      will be? How many eggs do you think a chicken lays in a day? These
      are just some of the questions we'll answer on our Egg Collecting
      Adventure. At the Livestock Shelter

      o 11:00, 1:00, 3:00 The Great Sheep Adventure: : Why do farms
      raise sheep? What are sheep used for? What is the difference between
      a ewe and a ram? What do sheep contribute to our farm? You can milk a
      cow but can you milk sheep? Learn all about sheep and their
      importance on the farm on our Great Sheep Adventure. At the Livestock

      Adult Mini Workshops
      o 10:00-11:00 Biodiesel with jay Mowat, President of the
      Everpure Bioidiesel Co-op. Everpure is a bio-fuel co-op that turns
      food waste into fuel and provides farmers with a way to become fuel
      self sufficient. This biodiesel is made entirely from recycled food
      by-products, thus avoiding a fuel-versus-food conflict on scarce
      farmland. Come learn more about the Everpure co-op and their
      biodiesel model. In the Round Room

      o 12:00-12:30 Brewing Compost TEA: With Dave Dittmar Everdale
      Future Farmer Learn how to harness the power of soil microbes. In
      this brief session, you will gain a greater understanding for the
      life beneath your feet as well as how you can maximize this life
      within your own soils. Learn how to find the appropriate microbes,
      feed them so they multiply, and add them back into your gardens and
      lawn. In the Greenhouse

      o 12:30-1:00 Successive Planting for Success: with Gwendolen
      Graovac, Everdale Future Farmer Come learn how to get the most out of
      the growing season in your garden! We'll be exploring different
      varieties of veggies that can be utilized to have fresh produce on
      your table every week. Rotating crops and soil fertility will also
      be included. In the Greenhouse

      o 1:30-2:30 Pollination Walk and Talk: with Joseph Steyr of
      Seeds of Diversity Canada. Did you know that there are over 1000
      species of pollinating insects in Canada? Together they are an
      indispensable natural resource, and their daily work is essential for
      over a billion dollars of apples, pears, cucumbers, melons, berries,
      and many other kinds of Canadian farm produce. In the Home Alive!

      o 2:30-3:30: Biointensive Gardening: with Andrew Setiz,
      Everdale Future Farmer. Learn the basics of Biointensive Gardening (a
      technique that lets you grow more vegetables in less space than you
      ever thought possible!) with a focus on companion planting and
      vermiculture. In the Biointensive Demonstration Garden

      ONGOING tours of Home Alive! (11:00,1:00,3:00) and our Organic Farm
      (12:00, 2:00)

      ORGANIC LUNCH prepared in the NEW Everdale kitchen will be available
      from 11:30-2:00.

      Admission: Adults $6.00 Seniors/Students: $4.00 Kids (6-17): $2.00
      KIDS 5 and UNDER FREE

      go to <http://www.everdale.org/>www.everdale.org for
      <http://www.everdale.org/node/2>directions and more info.

      P.O. Box 29, Hillsburgh, Ontario, Canada N0B 1Z0
      Tel. 519-855-4859 Fax. 519-855-6531
      "Hands-on Learning for Sustainable Living"