Re: building facing east, not south

  • SArjuna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2007
      D.M. wrote:

      "It would appear that your builder is still thinking stick-built and
      "Mc-Mansion" and may not have much experience in earth shelter
      work or blending it with other materials (i.e. Straw). It may be
      to your benefit to look for a different builder or sit down and
      talk with this builder (be Strong) and discuss Exactly how much
      experience they have in passive solar and alternative materials
      (and blending alternative materials).

      Also Why, other than ease of construction[ (all on the surface) vs
      the added cost and time of going into your hill, which I'm sure
      you have included in your plans and budget)], he appears so
      addement about disregarding your plans, for your house, and
      your view? Does he simply lack the experience, or the equipment?"

      The builder IS a "green" and "alternative" builder, whose specialty is
      straw bale.

      It's not the extra time and cost of going into the hill that he's
      against. He points out that with a wonderful view to the east it'd be a shame not
      to see it from more rooms. And that digging into the hill destabilizes it
      and is "fighting Nature."

      He happens to live in Gays Mills, WI, one of the towns where major
      devastation was wrought by the recent flooding. Destabilized hillsides turned
      out to be really bad news.
      (A couple of dozen homes in the general area washed right off their
      footings. One ended up in the middle of a state highway. Imagine driving down
      the road and seeing a house coming at you!)

      I don't mind redesigning the house. (I have done it already, in fact,
      since I wrote, and was able to add a "mud room" that the other design didn't
      have, so that was good.) My question really regards how much our ability to
      heat the home will be affected by changing the orientation.
      - And how to set up solar hot water.
      We will have ample wood for heating, from the land, just from managing
      the forest there.

      Thanks,
      Shivani in WI