Stucco Sprayers

  • Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi there.

      I was wondering if anyone out there had experience with stucco sprayers.

      We were wanting to spray slip and our base/scratch coat of clay stray but wanted to speed up the process as much as possible. Can we do a nice job with a stucco sprayer like the tirolessa?

      Can or should lime plasters be sprayed?

      All the best.

      Martin

    • tina therrien
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
        hi Martin! i've got a Putzmeister stucco pump/sprayer, which has a
        mixer attached to it, in addition to a pump, which suits our purposes,
        since we plaster a lot of homes. we have successfully sprayed a clay
        slip using the pump several times (but with our pump, you have to
        screen the clay, or the slip before pumping to sift out rocks, lumps,
        etc. which could otherwise cause damage to the machine). i'm not sure
        if you have to sift clay with a tirolessa type pump...anyone?

        when you spray on a slip coat, you have to be careful to apply an even
        coat on the bales, and we did quickly go behind the sprayer to trowel
        it into the bales, and smooth it out (before roughing it up for the
        next coat). the other option, of course, is the French technique of
        pre-dipping the bales in a slip coat before stacking them.

        regarding lime plaster, at the International Straw Bale Conference in
        Ontario last fall, one of the presenters brought a tirolessa sprayer,
        and they sprayed the interior coat of lime plaster. i had a go at it,
        and didn't particularly like it. the hopper empties quite quickly, so
        you have to have someone nearby to fill it for you frequently, but more
        bothersome is the overspray of the lime plaster. i found that i was
        ingesting lime...breathing it, tasting it, because it just gets in the
        air. even when i walked into the room when someone else was spraying, i
        found it unpleasant to 'taste' the plaster. keep in mind that lime
        plaster is quite caustic, and can cause nasty burns...i wouldn't
        recommend spraying it. we used to spray our plaster, until pete
        designed a power trowel (there has been a discussion of the 'power
        trowel' in this group in the past). the power trowel is a trowel with a
        slot on the end of it, and we pump plaster from our mixer/pump through
        the hose, and out the slot in the power trowel, which is much neater,
        and doesn't force the people applying it to 'eat' the mud.

        perhaps if you wore a respirator while applying, it would be better,
        although hotter! spraying an earthen plaster isn't unpleasant, but it's
        still dirty, that's for sure!

        good luck!

        tina

        Camel's Back Straw Bale Construction
        www.strawhomes.ca

      • Teresa Howell
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
          Tina,
          Are there plans or advice on the list for the power trowel? I'm
          going to be racing winter to get my house stuccoed--
          Teresa

          -- In practical-sbc@yahoogroups.com, tina therrien <strawbus@...>
          wrote:

          > hi Martin! i've got a Putzmeister stucco pump/sprayer, which has a
          > mixer attached to it, in addition to a pump, which suits our
          purposes,
          > since we plaster a lot of homes. we have successfully sprayed a
          clay
          > slip using the pump several times (but with our pump, you have to
          > screen the clay, or the slip before pumping to sift out rocks,
          lumps,
          > etc. which could otherwise cause damage to the machine). i'm not
          sure
          > if you have to sift clay with a tirolessa type pump...anyone?
          >
          > when you spray on a slip coat, you have to be careful to apply an
          even
          > coat on the bales, and we did quickly go behind the sprayer to
          trowel
          > it into the bales, and smooth it out (before roughing it up for
          the
          > next coat). the other option, of course, is the French technique
          of
          > pre-dipping the bales in a slip coat before stacking them.
          >
          > regarding lime plaster, at the International Straw Bale Conference
          in
          > Ontario last fall, one of the presenters brought a tirolessa
          sprayer,
          > and they sprayed the interior coat of lime plaster. i had a go at
          it,
          > and didn't particularly like it. the hopper empties quite quickly,
          so
          > you have to have someone nearby to fill it for you frequently, but
          more
          > bothersome is the overspray of the lime plaster. i found that i
          was
          > ingesting lime...breathing it, tasting it, because it just gets in
          the
          > air. even when i walked into the room when someone else was
          spraying, i
          > found it unpleasant to 'taste' the plaster. keep in mind that lime
          > plaster is quite caustic, and can cause nasty burns...i wouldn't
          > recommend spraying it. we used to spray our plaster, until pete
          > designed a power trowel (there has been a discussion of the 'power
          > trowel' in this group in the past). the power trowel is a trowel
          with a
          > slot on the end of it, and we pump plaster from our mixer/pump
          through
          > the hose, and out the slot in the power trowel, which is much
          neater,
          > and doesn't force the people applying it to 'eat' the mud.
          >
          > perhaps if you wore a respirator while applying, it would be
          better,
          > although hotter! spraying an earthen plaster isn't unpleasant, but
          it's
          > still dirty, that's for sure!
          >
          > good luck!
          >
          > tina
          >

          > Camel's Back Straw Bale Construction
          > www.strawhomes.ca

        • Hank Carr
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
            Teresa Howell wrote:

            > Are there plans or advice on the list for the power trowel?

            Teresa,

            There is a photo of a power trowel in use in the Photos section under
            Plaster on the PSBC homepage here:

            Pete and I were discussing him supplying them for the OE Bale Building Tools
            Store but I haven't heard back from him in a couple of weeks.

            The use of the slotted trowel requires the use of a mortar pump like the
            Putsmeister P-11 that Tina uses. In larger centers they can be rented from
            equipment rental places.

            Hank.
          • Teresa Howell
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2007
              --- In practical-sbc@yahoogroups.com, "Hank Carr" <hank@...> wrote:

              > Teresa Howell wrote:
              >
              > > Are there plans or advice on the list for the power trowel?
              Thanks!