Updated Small House Plans

  • Hank Carr
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
      The drawings for the small house are coming along really well. The draft
      drawings have been downloaded 24 times so there is obviously a lot of
      interest. I've got a set of drawings which are much more complete. These
      are of Anita's layout for the house and include the first and second floor
      plans, the four elevations, and the first section. We're in for a big storm
      this weekend and I don't have any public appearances so I'll likely spend
      some time working on the construction details and buck diagrams. I'm hoping
      to have the complete package finished in the next couple of weeks.

      I can't remember how much I wrote about my idea for these plans. I intend
      to make a complete package available on my website just as I have done for
      the 10 x 14 workshop building. I will have the diagrams stamped by my
      engineer which will offer some level of assurance that everything that you
      need to have this plan approved for construction and to have a permit issued
      against them is in the package. I hope that someone who wants to build this
      building will be able to download the package, have it stamped by their
      engineer for a few hundred dollars, and to get a permit issued. The plans
      are going to be available through our website absolutely free to anyone who
      wants them.

      I'm still looking for input. If you think you've got a great idea for a
      layout please let me know. I'll work up some drawings and put them up on
      the website with your name on them for anyone and everyone to use.

      The four new drawings are in Files, AutoCAD Drawings, Small House and are in
      PDF form so just about everyone should be able to view them.

      Hank.

    • chris h
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
        On Thursday 01 March 2007 16:00, Hank Carr wrote:

        > I'm still looking for input. If you think you've got a great idea for a
        > layout please let me know. I'll work up some drawings and put them up on
        > the website with your name on them for anyone and everyone to use.

        Not a design contrib more a request. What would be interesting is a materials
        list from which a construction cost could be estimated and independent of
        region or local material cost variations. Labour of course is not included.

        From a design perspective (and perhaps because I'm getting older) a single
        level flour plan is more along my preferred concepts. Once you get into it
        its actually a difficult challenge if a max area is a defined criteria.

        Regardless, many thanks for putting in the effort and releasing the data under
        and a liberal license. Speaking of release licenses you may want to consider
        the merit of one of the following. See http://creativecommons.org/license/
        should this interest you.

        All the stuff I release in the public domain regardless of costs, concept or
        subject matter including docs, I preferr to assign a license to it to avoid
        confusion and encourage contributions where applicable.

        HTH's...just some random thoughts.

        Best and thanks

        /ch
      • Hank Carr
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
          Chris wrote:

          >> I'm still looking for input. If you think you've
          >> got a great idea for a layout please let me know.
          >> I'll work up some drawings and put them up on
          >> the website with your name on them for anyone
          >> and everyone to use.

          > Not a design contrib more a request. What would be
          > interesting is a materials list from which a
          > construction cost could be estimated and
          > independent of region or local material cost
          > variations. Labour of course is not included.

          I intend to do up a materials list spreadsheet like the one for the 10 x 14
          building. It will include everything that you need to build the house.

          > From a design perspective (and perhaps because
          > I'm getting older) a single level flour plan is
          > more along my preferred concepts. Once you get
          > into it its actually a difficult challenge if
          > a max area is a defined criteria.

          This is funny. I was just talking to the woman who drives me to work (a car
          pool of two) yesterday on the way home about the fact that this plan could
          be adapted to a one storey design very easily. You could simply keep
          everything else the same and not build the second floor deck or you could
          shorten the walls and have lower ceilings. It would be more like a studio
          with the bedroom where the living room is on the plan and living and dining
          sharing the dining space. You could eliminate the island and replace it
          with a kitchen table or somple move it a bit and put chairs around it.

          The reason that we went with the second floor loft instead of a bigger
          single floor foot print is that with a two storey design you have less roof
          and less slab (both quite expensive) and add the cost of the second floor
          deck (also quite expensive.) The overall cost of the materials is generally
          lower though you often have a higher building permit cost.

          > All the stuff I release in the public domain
          > regardless of costs, concept or subject matter
          > including docs, I prefer to assign a license
          > to it to avoid confusion and encourage
          > contributions where applicable.

          Thanks, Chris. I'll look into these licenses.

          Hank.
        • chris h
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
            On Friday 02 March 2007 06:44, Hank Carr wrote:

            > This is funny. I was just talking to the woman who drives me to work (a
            > car pool of two) yesterday on the way home about the fact that this plan
            > could be adapted to a one storey design very easily. You could simply keep
            > everything else the same and not build the second floor deck or you could
            > shorten the walls and have lower ceilings. It would be more like a studio
            > with the bedroom where the living room is on the plan and living and dining
            > sharing the dining space. You could eliminate the island and replace it
            > with a kitchen table or somple move it a bit and put chairs around it.

            All good points. However I find small home design a real challenge. You need
            to look at several factors not in any priority..:)

            - age requirements restrictions
            - life style and preference issues
            - costs
            - location
            - guests accommodations
            -more later, late for work and truck is idling..:)

            All I want to say is that with an aging population, single level homes will
            demand in increase.

            > The reason that we went with the second floor loft instead of a bigger
            > single floor foot print is that with a two storey design you have less roof
            > and less slab (both quite expensive) and add the cost of the second floor
            > deck (also quite expensive.) The overall cost of the materials is
            > generally lower though you often have a higher building permit cost.
            >
            > > All the stuff I release in the public domain
            > > regardless of costs, concept or subject matter
            > > including docs, I prefer to assign a license
            > > to it to avoid confusion and encourage
            > > contributions where applicable.

            Should have mentioned accreditation. ...:)

            > Thanks, Chris. I'll look into these licenses.
            >
            > Hank.
          • Hank Carr
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
              I wrote:

              >> This is funny. I was just talking to the woman who
              >> drives me to work (a car pool of two) yesterday on
              >> the way home about the fact that this plan could
              >> be adapted to a one storey design very easily.
              >> You could simply keep everything else the same
              >> and not build the second floor deck or you could
              >> shorten the walls and have lower ceilings. It
              >> would be more like a studio with the bedroom
              >> where the living room is on the plan and living
              >> and dining sharing the dining space. You could
              >> eliminate the island and replace it with a
              >> kitchen table or somple move it a bit and put
              >> chairs around it.

              > All good points. However I find small home design
              > a real challenge. You need to look at several
              > factors not in any priority..:)

              This is true. I have no (and I mean zero) design skill. I took a bunch of
              drafting classes and have worked on drawings in AutoCAD for several years.
              I can draw the construction details and build the materials list but I
              really need someone else to put together the floor plan. Anita has done
              most of tht for me in the past. She's the one with the design skills.

              > - age requirements restrictions
              > - life style and preference issues
              > - costs
              > - location
              > - guests accommodations

              My plan is to put out the building as a balloon. A foundation plan, four
              walls, and a roof. I'm going to release the window and door buck blocks and
              a plan for the second floor deck. Anyone can download the plans, cut out
              the bucks and stick them where they want them then photocopy the new plan
              and have it stamped. I'll also make wall sections available for a 12 foot
              wall and an 8 foot wall so that the person building the building can decide
              what they want. The interior design will be up to the person building the
              building OR they can download one of our complete packages of drawings (like
              Anita's plan that I uploaded yesterday) and build that. We're trying to
              make something available that has the most flexibility for someone wanting
              to build a small house.

              If you've got floor plan ideas, I'd be happy to draw them up.

              I can't believe that you're going out in this greusom weather. It has been
              freezing rain and ice pellets here in Spencerville for about six hours now.
              There hasn't been a single vehicle (including a plow or salt truck) down
              Ventnor Road yet this morning.

              > - more later, late for work and truck is idling..:)

              > All I want to say is that with an aging
              > population, single level homes will increase
              > in demand.

              Very true. We'll make sure to have one storey plans available for people
              who want them.

              Oops. Fingers slipped.

              Hank.