Re: Question on an SB arch..

  • mark
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
      how about putting some timbers in your archway???

      -mark.

      --- In bale-on@yahoogroups.com, "Hank Carr" <hank@d...>
      wrote:

      > > Hey there gang...
      > > Been fielding some questions on another board about SB
      and
      > > arches.. one fella there has proposed using a Gothic SB roof
      on
      > > top of a fairly small home..
      >
      > [...]
      >
      > > Here is the question.. another fella picked up on this and
      wants to
      > > do a barrel vault arch ..
      >
      > From my point of view there is only one answer to both of these
      > suggestions. Don't do them.
      >
      > The straw bale wall system works as a stressed skin panel.
      The skins
      > work because they are vertical and transfer the load flows to
      the
      > foundation in a straight line from the header.
      >
      > Ben Polley told us when we took the SB workshop with him
      three years
      > ago that it was a bad idea, dangerous to build, and that
      someone had
      > been killed trying to do it. That's good enough for me.
      >
      > The other problem that I see is: if your roof is plastered straw
      > bales then rain and snow are going to fall directly onto it and
      your
      > bales are going to get nasty.
      >
      > It isn't something that I would even consider.
      >
      > Hank.
    • Hank Carr
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005

        That would probably work nicely. Where would you put the timbers?

        Hank.
      • woldgood9
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
          > That would probably work nicely. Where would you put the timbers?
          >
          > Hank.

          Hank.. in the future you might want to refrain from asking people on
          an open forum "where to put your timbers?" ...LOL .. hmmmm... let me
          see... if I ask around the college I bet some of the teens there could
          come up with some rather..ummm...how do I say this in public??...
          ummm... Imaginative suggestions..LOL...
          ;-)
          Kent
          PS..hey if ya can't have fun in your own place where can you have fun,
          eh?
        • woldgood9
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
            > > how about putting some timbers in your archway???
            >
            > That would probably work nicely. Where would you put the timbers?
            >
            > Hank.

            Mking it a Gothic Arch would help as well...seems the picture I
            referenced is missing now too... it was a Barrel Vault... Gothic Arch
            does a better job of not pushing out or needing buttresses... with
            that configuration you have no flat surface to collect moisture as
            well...
            ... Kent