Bale Course Stratification/ Moisture Migration Issues.. (Was Digest #358)

  • Mark Kifer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2006
      Chris, et all...

      ************** snip

      In passing, I'll mention that I have seen one reference somewhere where
      a builder wrapped the bottom course (or two?) of bales in vapour barrier
      to prevent moisture transfer from the concrete toe-up into the walls.
      That might be a good bit of insurance if there is some risk of garden
      sprinklers or splash-back supplying moisture to the bottom course(s) of
      bales, or if there is some risk of flooding inside or outside.
      Maybe. I haven't thought through this entirely yet.

      *******
      I don't know if it's since been modified? But years back in assisting Carolyn Roberts on her SB code-inspected house in Tucson. Written into the code, called for a tar paper barrier between the stem wall and the bales. To extend 18" (or so) to the exterior, and wrapped and folded up onto the bale faces. Ironically, after the inspector had left... She instructed us to cut off the excess, forgetting that the code "required" it being lapped up the bale faces. To her good luck, the inspector failed to remember that part as well on his next visitation!!

      ************

      Tyvek is expensive, and it is supposed to be vapour
      permeable, is it not?
      In using a layer of newsprint between every course of bales, you'd
      presumably be creating cells within the wall that don't vary much
      temperature-wise in the 18" or whatever between courses, so that may or
      may not have any effect on how the whole system works. For one thing,
      the moving air column on the warm side would have les surface area to
      draw moisture from, and therefore less total moisture content to deposit
      on the cooling surface on the outside.

      ************
      Correct, and from what little I know of it? I believe the membrane allows moisture migration in only one direction.. Or, am I again all wet?? Sounds like to me, you might be onto something there, with the whole issue of warmer air being able to support higher RH factors. And, the visual observation of wet spotting. Might well be, that "celluizing" to encapsulate each course might have it's merits on preventing that upward moisture migration??

      As said before... I'm not a Rocket Surgeon. And, there are greater minds to weigh in on this, than mine! -Just posing a food for thought and a conversational issue.

      I'm outta here for now... If you see me gettin' smaller? It's 'cause I'm leaving.... ( a small, perspective... joke!) ;)

      Regards,
      Mark a.k.a. Spuds

      Mark Kifer
      spudsrus1@...
      EarthLink Revolves Around You.

    • Chris Green
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2006
        Mark Kifer wrote:

        > As said before... I'm not a Rocket Surgeon. And, there are greater
        > minds to weigh in on this, than mine! -Just posing a food for thought
        > and a conversational issue.

        Same here.

        > <snip>.. If you see me gettin' smaller? It's 'cause I'm leaving....

        I read that and thought, boy that could be a line from a great country
        song, but before grabbing my guitar to write it, I checked on google for
        the phrase.

        Turns out to be one of the cuts on the album Ol' Waylon, the same one
        Luckenback, Texas was on: Written by Jim Webb. Lyrics here:

        http://www.luma-electronic.cz/lp/j/Waylon/waylon_olwaylon.htm

        Cheers,

        Chris Green.