Re: [ppiindia] catatan presiden AS Harry Truman

  • irwank
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2006
      Dari hasil googling.. Ada yang mau bahas soal ini?

      Wassalam,

      Irwan.K

      http://www.adl.org/Anti_semitism/oped_truman.asp

      Harry Truman, My Flawed Hero
      By Abraham H. Foxman
      National Director of the Anti-Defamation League
      This op-ed originally appeared in the July 18, 2003 edition of the *Forward
      *. [image: RULE]
      July 18, 2003

      Okay, the Richard Nixon tapes were one thing. But Harry Truman? A heroic
      president to Jewish people, with institutes and forests in Israel named
      after him - and now we learn from the recently discovered Truman diaries of
      1947 that he, too, was capable of the most sordid anti-Semitic attitudes.

      "The Jews, I find are very, very selfish," he wrote. "When they have power,
      physical, financial or political neither Hitler nor Stalin has anything on
      them for cruelty or mistreatment to the underdog."

      What gives?

      First, Truman's comments remind us how strong anti-Semitic attitudes were in
      the United States during the 1930s and 1940s. America, for reasons of
      history, of constitutionalism, of diversity, was never a place of pogroms or
      other violence against Jews the way Europe was.

      But prejudice toward and stereotypes about Jews were pervasive. Seventeen
      years after Truman's diary was written, the ADL found that 29% of Americans
      had anti-Semitic attitudes, including views of Jews as dishonest in
      business, as caring only about themselves, as not loyal to America, as
      having too much power.

      Remember that during the late 1930s, "Radio Priest" Father Charles Coughlin
      was heard by millions of Americans every Sunday night articulating the
      vilest attacks toward Jews. And in 1940 and 1941, when America was deciding
      whether to join the allies in the war against Germany and Japan, Charles
      Lindbergh created the America First movement, which drew the support of many
      millions of Americans. A major tenet of America First was the belief that it
      was the Jews who sought to bring about American intervention for their own
      selfish interests and against the interests of the American people.

      Keep in mind that educational programs to encourage tolerance were not a
      hallmark of America in those days, as they are today. Children who were
      taught prejudice at home or in church had fewer opportunities to unlearn
      their prejudices.

      Of course, the most significant perspective in which to place Truman's views
      is the historical impact of his presidency on the Jewish people. In that
      regard, whatever his cultural views of Jews, his contribution to Jewish
      history is unique and everlasting.

      His decision to support the creation of the State of Israel despite the
      opposition of such powerful figures as George Marshall makes the diary
      comments pale in significance. Why Truman stood up for Israel at that
      critical moment has long been debated by historians. Seeking Jewish votes in
      1948? His friendship with Eddie Jacobson? Biblical beliefs about Israel?
      Feelings for the Jewish people's suffering? In the end, the decision speaks
      for itself.

      Recognizing that the revelations in Truman's diaries reflect the resiliency
      of the anti-Semitic virus, are there lessons for us in the 21st century?

      For one, it reminds us to avoid complacency about anti-Semitism. Even in
      America, the place for a different kind of life for Jews, anti-Semitism has
      resilience in quarters where one might not expect it - Harry Truman, a
      highly respected progressive national leader; Billy Graham, the most
      prestigious religious figure in the country. Even as discrimination against
      Jews disappears, as attitudes improve, as Jewish security is strong, what
      people think and feel and say in the privacy of their homes or boardrooms is
      still uncertain. America the exception is also still America the product of
      a 2,000-year Western tradition of anti-Semitism.

      Secondly, Truman's diaries reveal once again the irrational character of
      anti-Semitism. It has often been noted that Jews are often accused of being
      contradictory things: Communists and capitalists, too powerful and too weak.

      The 33rd American president writes of how "very, very selfish" Jews are and
      how brutal they are when in power. This, only two years after the Holocaust,
      when the Jews of Europe were destroyed; when more than one-third of world
      Jewry was wiped out; when the world, including the United States, largely
      stood by in the face of the Nazi inhumanity toward Jews, when Jews
      themselves failed to do enough to try to save their brethren in Europe.

      Jews were at a low point in their history in 1947. That didn't seem to stop
      Truman from attributing classic stereotypes about Jews.

      The diaries, along with the Nixon tapes, also speak to the variability of
      anti-Jewishness. Those two presidents were capable of standing up for Israel
      at critical times, even while sharing many of society's worst stereotypes
      abut Jews. Today, things are turned on their heads: Denials of anti-Semitism
      abound while one-sided criticism of Israel is rife and acceptable.
      Anti-Semitism is not only the largest hatred, it is the most elastic.

      I am a Holocaust survivor, a displaced person, and in 1947 I was a stateless
      7-year-old waiting to be received by some country other than Poland,
      Lithuania, Germany or Austria. Harry Truman was my hero, and in 1950, when
      as displaced persons my parents and I came to the United States, we believed
      it was the president himself who made it possible. It personally saddens me
      to learn that he too was so flawed.

      Truman was a product of his time and of a civilization's attitudes. The
      anti-Semitism revealed in his diaries is a stain on his reputation. Still,
      he remains a hero of Israel.