Re: USPPA ratings and Beach Blast

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 246 , Nov 1, 2012
      YES ... YES ... oooh ... and bright phosphorescent undercrackers (red,
      yellow or gold is good).... erm ... worn on the outside (of course)
      [:p] .

      Fly Safe

      Turbo

      --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "carvingair" <c.dean@...> wrote:

      > PPG air-police...what a great idea but we must have weapons of some
      kind or they'll just laugh at us.
      > ...and a cape, we need capes too...and maybe a flashing light
      > MRS
      > latitude 45.52
      >
      > --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "john Bloom" jbloom@ wrote:
      > >
      > > We need to have air to air missiles for them. Nerf tips with a pink
      paintball gun pellet inside.

      On Behalf Of Sky Wrangler
      > > Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:35 PM
      > > To: ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: Re: [ppgbiglist] Re: USPPA ratings and Beach Blast
      > >

      > > ok....
      > >
      > > but what about pilots that pirate the airspace during a ratings
      required event?

      > > sf
      > >

      > > ________________________________

      cannot speak for any other event organizers. Keep in mind your points
      about flying from other inland sites don't apply to our situation as we
      need permision to fly from the beach and that is generated by an
      agreement with the city. They do have the ability to regulate that
      beach. Most fly-ins don't encounter the event insurance issue since they
      run their events on private land with owners that do not require it.

      > > --- In mailto:ppgbiglist%40yahoogroups.com, Sky Wrangler
      <sky_wrangler@> wrote:

      > > > So Alex,
      > > > You can't fly at any of the ratings required fly-ins?
      > > > What a loss...
      > > > sf
      > > >

      > > > ________________________________

      license for a single place ultralight.

      > > > I believe that introducing this rating (it has been quite a few
      years now) did NOT advance too much because from the statistics that
      some of you gentlemen submitted on this forum results that from over
      3,000 ppg pilots ONLY 300 have such a rating. So what is the point of
      the ratings?

      > > > USPPA definitely has its place in our sport but I strongly believe
      that USPPA should not promote these ratings.
      > > > From the beginning, there were specially USPPA "anointed"
      instructors who would "administer" these ratings and if I am not
      mistaken (which I may be) these ratings involve a cost.

      > > > I agree with the pilots who state that Ultraflight Magazine has
      too few articles about PPG and I also believe that subscribing to
      Paramotor Magazine is a much better choice. After all, this magazine IS
      solely about PPG.

      > > > Finally, I believe that most of the instructors care about putting
      the pilot up in the air and after 2-3 flights he (the pilot) is on his
      own.
      > > > If ALL instructors would be not only looking for the money but
      also to really train pilots so that after the instruction they would be
      more independent, we would NOT need these ratings that only divide the
      community.
      http://www.paratour.com/ and Bruce Brown of http://www.flyohio.com/
      > > > If you go to any fly-in you will see that their students have
      experience and they fly safely.

      > > > In conclusion, I am totally against the ratings and I am for a
      different magazine, like Paramotor and I also consider it absurd to
      require such ratings at fly-ins.

      > > > Best regards,
      > > >
      > > > Alex Varv / Aero Cors-Air USA LLC

      Brought Up the need for a private rating. No matter.

      > > > Again, succinct and to the point, and again for you.
      > > >
      > > > And for me, No Thanks. I'm not going to assist and support ratings
      in order to fly.

      > > > I would suggest that if the issue is Experience, change the ppg 2
      rating which is too minimal.

      > > > Bud
      > > >
      > > > --- In mailto:ppgbiglist%40yahoogroups.com, "alex" <alexdonaghy@>

      to some of the questions raised. Since I do work with Beach Blast and I
      am a USPPA officer I will try to answer a couple of the questions
      raised.

      memberships affect your rating. Having said that. We will and currently
      do honor your ratings even if your membership has expired as long as it
      can be verified. Keeping in mind that you will loose some membership
      benefits such as the ability to get liabilty insurance if you are not a
      "current" member.

      the organization has expired. We will require proof of the rating and
      reserve the right to verify it has been earned through the organization.
      Just bring your card, etc.

      ratings. I can verify that this was NOT the case with Beach Blast. Jeff
      is actually against the organization dictating this in any way. He feels
      that is up to the event organizer.

      again. Beach Blast is a very public event and we are required to get a
      license from the city and event insurance to protect the hotel and home
      owners association. This insurance is not easy to get, not by a long
      shot. Our NEED for these ratings is DIRECTLY related to these items. We
      have to demonstrate to these entities that there are training standards
      that can be verified. Your log book will not suffice. There have been
      many hours of negotiation to make this happen and this is what is
      required. This is the cost of maintaining the event at such a choice
      location. If our numbers suffer for this we are ok with that. We would
      rather have lower numbers and still enjoy the PCB environment for this
      event.

      himself has no "requirement". The rating and any valid USPPA membership
      requirement(s) are up to the individual hosting the event.

      rating. I don't think Jeff Goin would require that.

    • Dana Hague
      Message 246 of 246 , Nov 1, 2012
        At 06:36 PM 11/1/2012, John wrote:

        >one of the staunchest defenders of FAR 103 is the EAA....

        Huh? Way back when, maybe, but with Sport Pilot EAA all but abandoned 103
        in their rush to get on the SP bandwagon.

        -Dana

        --
        Art and technical perfection are not the same thing in cars, and hard-core
        car buffs often prefer art. Which is why they own so many tools.