Re: [ppgbiglist] Varv's Kangook (Forte)

  • David
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2011
      How about some pics of the mods.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Aug 1, 2011, at 12:53 AM, 82bmiller@... wrote:

      > After about month of flying Alex's new Forte Kangook, I thought I'd finally get around to keeping my promise and posting a review.
      >
      > Coming from an old FB Comfort bar system, I decided to add and alter a few things on the new harness; trying to combine a few of the key attributes that made my old FB harness special while enjoying all the break throughs of Alex and JC's new setup.
      >
      > First, I chose to add ground handling straps allowing me to pull the machine up on my back independently of the swan arms, allowing the seat board to drop back resting straight up and down. By doing so, you can now stand comfortably without feeling the seat board pressing into the back of your legs while keeping the weight of the engine close to your back. Next, I decided to moved the attachment point of leg straps; fastening them to my the swan arms(way above my hips), instead of having them strap across my legs. By doing so, I can now leave my leg straps as tight as i will while allowing my hips a complete 100% range of motion. By leaving the straps tight, my hips never drops below the mid point of the seat board making it super easy to get into the harness. With the mod, it literally is easier then with my CB monster.
      > Then, I attached the harness a little lower to the frame since the cloth in between the shoulder straps can rub into the your neck if you prefer to wear your shoulder straps tight. Last, I noticed that the swan arms were wearing into the cage pieces while sitting in a resting position, so i had to add a couple bolts and spacers to keep them apart so that the wear stops.
      >
      > Overall Ground handling: I love it. The over all harness is very well padded and easy to move with. Flying a small viper, I tend to launch fast and land fast. Having a harness that allows you to freely move your legs without being restricted by straps or floor board is huge.
      >
      > Launch: Caribiners properly set, the paramotor is very erect while leaning out of seat and at full power. Once off the ground, you can let off the gas and the machine will naturally drop you back into the harness. It took me a few flights to get used to it, but with the small modifications it's a lot easier to get in and out of then my monster.
      >
      > In flight: Coming from a high hook in setup, your first flight should be in some what calm air as you acclimate to a more active harness. Admittedly, it took me a flight or two to get used to. But within a couple flights, it started to remind me of my first few times free flying and what it was like to actually feel the playfulness of the wing. It was awesome. Plus, with the extra large harness you can lean back, make yourself comfortable and just take it easy. Super comfy.
      >
      > Torque: None. Even with the 51" Forte. The torque was non-existent.
      >
      > Landing: Landings are sweet. Upon final, lean forward giving it a little bit of gas kicking you way out of your seat. (:

> [...]

    • Ben Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2011
        Long day. I'll try to get some posted tomorrow.

      • Ben Miller
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2011
          I went ahead and posted a few pics and left some comments describing a few
          of my changes and why I prefer what I prefer and choose what I choose.
          Also, I forgot to mention that I got the forte addition. If you're a
          bigger guy, fly small reflex, or just like to climb a little quicker I'd go
          for this model. As of now, I've only flown it with a helix which is a
          little expensive; but I've got a GSC on the way that they think will be
          perfect. If all goes well, I would only recommend the quieter stronger
          pushing forte.

          Let me know what you think.