Re: Running distance

  • dominicvitantonio
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hey Chris,

      I cannot agree more with your observations about how some guys "putz"
      around once the wing is in the air, and concerning the absolute
      curative effect of running your ass off. I have finally learned the
      lesson, and especially honed it over the last few months.

      When I first started flying my Silex I thought it was an easy
      launching wing. However, having flown a few others since, I no longer
      agree. My buddy is trying to get me to buy an Edel Power Atlas. The
      wing launches VERY easily, flys relatively fast, and lands incredibly
      soft. Still, there is something about the flight characteristics of
      the Silex that I love, and I will not replace it. So, he always kids
      me about my difficult-looking launches. My launch yesterday was a
      perfect example of the importance of running instead of putzing.

      The winds here in northeast Ohio yesterday when I got to the field at
      about 6:00 p.m. were almost non-existent. My buddy was already in the
      air, flying his Power Atlas, watching me set up and launch. When I
      pulled it up and started running, the tips (about 30% on each side)
      were tucked under (typical), while the center started to fully
      inflate (again, typical), but then the front collapsed. I was looking
      up (still running) at a nasty looking mess of fabric that had "abort"
      written all over it. However, instead of giving up, I started to pour
      on the run, held onto and began steering with the A's, running and
      throttling (a slight upgrade, I might add). It was the most
      difficult, probably one of the most ugly, somewhat incredible, and
      somehow satisfying launches ever. When we landed an hour later, my
      buddy agreed. His first comment was that, watching from the air, he
      would have bet any amount of money, at the half-way point, that the
      launch was doomed to be a dead-failure.

      The moral of the story is that, in no wind forward launches, there is
      no substitute for determination -- don't stand there putzin around
      and lookin at your wing -- run, tug, steer, and throttle. (Okay,
      maybe good technique -- you know, that prop-inflation technique --
      see it performed on the yellow Silex in the Parastars video).

      Instead of dreading no-wind forwards like I used to, I now enjoy the
      challenge. 8-)

      Dominic.

      --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, Chris Mullaney <deadfsh7777@y...>
      wrote:
      > I agree with robin. Most of my flying has been zero wind, and I
      find it easier to launch by "commiting" and running as fast and as
      smooth as possible. Just think of Forrest Gump! For me, I also hit
      full power as soon as wing is overhead and after about 2-4 steps. The
      quicker you increase groundspeed, the quicker you will be flying. The
      hidden benefit is that if you are moving at a good clip from the
      start, the wing stays pressurized and wants to fly, and fly straight.
      As it begins to slightly lift, you can feel whether or not you need
      to make adjustments. If you look at the various videos out there,
      including Parastars, you will see many blown launches by pilots who
      get wing up, but put then "putz" around looking up and trying to
      micro-control the wing. Instead, they need to get their a** moving!!
      I am no expert, but this has worked for me. Setting up is also very
      key to avoiding surprises during launch phase. I always make sure
      wing is perfectly laid out and there are no
      > overlaps/tangles in the lines. As for your slow takeoff? it is
      either weight or an atmospheric condition. Just my 2 cents. BTW, I
      have a Muse 30 and weigh about 206.

      > flyguy <flyguy@k...> wrote: Another thing to consider, John, is the
      speed at which you run. With no
      > wind, your running speed is all you have to create lift. Sometimes
      when we
      > launch we are so concerned about getting the wing up and stable
      that we
      > don't run fast enough. This happens to me when I am tired to begin
      with.
      > I also found that loosening my leg straps a bit lets me run
      faster. Often,
      > that makes all the difference.
      > BTW I am 183, fly an SC top80 and a Muse 30.
      >
      > Robin Rumbolt
      > ------------- Original message follows -------------
      >

      > John, the upper weight range for the Muse 28 is 242 lbs. You weigh
      204,
      > your motor weighs 48, your wing weighs 13. That alone puts your
      takeoff
      > weight at 265 lbs, or about 10% over the placard. Then you have to
      > consider
      > the weight of your fuel (6.5 lbs per gallon) and any other stuff
      you might
      > carry
      > reserve, gizmos, helmet). So, I would say your takeoff and slow
      climb were
      > result of being over the wings weight limit. Not that there is
      anything
      > wrong
      > with that. I fly over the placard all the time, but you should
      understand
      > the
      > effects of doing so on performance.
      >
      > -Rob
      >
      > --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "John Glynn" <jg0140@m...> wrote:
      > > Just curious ppg list, I did a forward launch in ZERO wind this
      last
      > Sunday.
      > The temp was around 78 degrees F. The unit is a Paralite Sky
      Cruiser with
      > RDM 100 engine and a Muse 28 wing. I must have run 100+++ feet
      before
      > slooowly climbing. I know this is only my 12 flight and I probably
      have a
      > lot to
      > learn but is the main reason for this slow climb rate my 204 pounds
      or is
      > this ty
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT