Re: More Police with Ultralights (PPCs this time)

  • Brent Cameron
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
      Hi Beery

      For the very good of the sport, I hope you are correct, as we know time will tell. yes as a sport we have grown quickly and much has been learnt and I'm sure a little forgotten.

      I just hope that the so called responsible Captains, Chiefs etc can look after the rest of the Police tribe, as when it comes to who is responsible for making the call when to deploy,

      As we all know that without a long learned and very good knowledge of how all conditions/hazards/pilots experience etc can make or break the safety of the launch and following flight with the limits that govern our magical little flying machines, both PPG and PPC.

      I truly hope that the Captains and Chiefs really understand the limits of what they are allowing to happen and do so with good knowledge.

      Let the "Evolution" continue :-) safely.

      Cheers BC.

      --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "Beery" <bmiller@...> wrote:

      > Brent,
      >
      > Many of your same arguments can be said of a PPG pilot in general when the sport was just getting organized. I know after talking with Joe Eakins at Palm Bay, they recognized that there are situations where they can not fly.
      >
      > I see nothing any different with other police groups as they will have to have policies in place to operate. Otherwise, without SOP's for their use, anyone can do anything and the responsible captains, chiefs, etc. don't want either bad publicity or an incident on their shift.
      >
      > Beery
      >

      > --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "Brent Cameron" <brentcam58@> wrote:
      > >
      > > You will also notice in the write up saying that.
      > >
      > > "quote" Ripon police say they looked at other types of aircraft, but the nearest airport is a half hour away. The powered parachute is stored in a trailer and can be deployed in 15 minutes once it arrives at a scene. In an emergency we can use several of our city parks, we can use several of our elementary schools," said Ripon Police Department Lt. Edward Ormande.
      > >
      > > What stands out here is the "WHEN FACTOR" So a Police pilot has a few days training and then gets called out to deploy and launch from a "scene" the 2 new Police pilots locate a local school or local park near by, remember most schools and parks are surrouded by homes and tall buildings etc. and together they try to launch in a possible scenario of either met conditions like strong turbulent cross winds or nil winds within city limits in the middle of a hot summers day and with little room for error i.e. hazards like rotor from buildings / trees / thermals from off hot roads, then there is the possible limits on a motor out emergency landing options etc,
      > >
      > > I can see the write up, 2 Police officers crash there powered parachute into the nearby school building and are found dead or into a nearby home while attending the "scene" and kill a innocent bystander. the list of bad shit goes on and on.
      > >
      > > IMHO the use of powered parachutes or powered paragliders maybe okay in the right areas like patrolling beaches etc but the Police department should stand back and take a good hard look at the big picture before the shit hits the fan and it's not a case of IF it will happen but WHEN it happens what does that do for the sport.
      > >
      > > Just my two cents worth
      > >
      > > Blue skies cheers BC

    • Captain John Black
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
        Steve
        Thanks it is fun to explore other aspects of our sport and getting to do so with Chris Santicroce really adds some serious tools to your ppg belt.
        John

        --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Maroney" <steve@...> wrote:

        > Looks like John Black has established his USHPA P2 Certification,
        > Congrats !
        >

        > Best Regards,
        >
        > Steve Maroney
        >

        > Business Computer Support, LLC
        >
        > Mobile Phone:504-914-4704
        >
        > Office Phone: 504-904-0266
        >
        > Fax: 866-871-7797

      • Captain John Black
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
          Thanks Phil!

          --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Russman" <phil@...> wrote:

          > John, a big congrats from Lite Touch Films!!
          >
          > "Steve Maroney" <steve@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Looks like John Black has established his USHPA P2 Certification,
          > > Congrats !
          > >
          > > Best Regards,
          > >
          > > Steve Maroney

        • Sky Wrangler
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
            well there you go!

            But I still think there are part 103 PPC's out there.

            sf

            The story says,

            "The flying machines weight just over 400 pounds and can carry two officers. The big advantage is that it costs about 30 dollars an hour to fly, which includes fuel and maintenance. That compares to up to $1,500 dollars an hour for a helicopter or fixed win aircraft."

            .