RE: [ppgbiglist] Uh. THATS not good!! Paramotor lost prop, it almost hit someone on the ground!!

  • Dane Lance
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
      Fantastic…..

      Of note in the article are the key phrases:

      “The stunned motorist was inches from death after the blade came crashing
      down as he sat in his red convertible at the Marina supermarket in
      Brighton.”

      “The accident comes in the same month as air safety investigators expressed
      concern about the safety of motorised paragliders.”

      “The investigators said they were worried because there is no overall
      control
      of the design and geometry of fittings in harnesses.”

      “They advised: "All pilots are advised to refrain from extreme manoeuvres
      until the structural integrity of these machines is ascertained.”

      “Should paramotors be banned? Leave your comments below.”

      A bit of journalistic sensationalism tied with government concern and
      apparent self-appointment to save these lunatics from themselves….a bad
      recipe for PPG freedom…

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
        I will repair your black devil motor for 100.00 per hr with a 2 hr minimum.
        You pay shipping both ways....

        Later
        Andy

        kristy_mcniven <kristy_mcniven@...> wrote: Hi Everyone,

        If I can get some help from you guys I would like to compile a
        estimate of what it is really costing on average to keep a BD
        running per hour. I think that there are enough out there to get a
        accurate picture of what it is really costing to fly a powered
        paraglider with a BD.

        For example, my unit has 65.1 hrs. on it according to my Sendec tach
        (I think the hours are accurate) and is a skinny belt machine with
        pull start serial# B161. The parts I've had to buy are:

        Redrive belt $35
        Silencer $163
        Pullstart $65
        6 Exhaust springs $36
        Manual decompression valve $59
        Cylinder $345 (Hopefully I can get my broken exhaust bolt out and I
        won't need this)
        2 Broken props $100 for repairs (repairable) from engine (muffler)
        parts falling off

        Total $803 or $12.33/Hr. if I need a new cylinder or $458 or
        $7.04/Hr. if I don't need a new cylinder for my BD.

        Prices come from http://www.aerocorsair.com/id111.htm and do not
        include shipping or labor.

        I'm thinking to make it easy it would be nice to have the following:

        1. Black Devil serial #
        2. Skinny or fat belt
        3. Pull or electric start
        4. Total hours
        5. Are the hours according to a tach or an estimate?
        6. What tach?
        7. Do you think it is accurate?
        8. If not, how many hours do you think you really have?
        9. Parts and current costs of parts from www.aerocorsair.com
        without shipping or labor (include the cost of props or prop repairs
        without shipping if they were broken because of engine parts falling
        off even if it was "quote" your fault for not pre-flighting better)
        10. At how many hours did your engine lose power? (if it has)
        11. If yes, do you still fly your BD even with less power or if it
        is not running good? Explain.
        12. Any war stories of your BD grounding you when you really needed
        it.
        13. Total cost per hour of parts (Total cost of parts divided by
        total hours flown)
        14. Are you a dealer for the BD or for the BDs competition that may
        make others suspect you of provided biased info?

        I have 2 stories, Ballon Festival '04 when I couldn't get my BD
        started because of a stuck auto decompression valve (I learned about
        it after the flyin). I got blisters pulling on the &%$^%$&^! Thank
        goodness for manual decompression valves! And I just hauled my
        motor (last week) to Monument Valley and drove around instead of
        flew around because my exhaust manifold bolt broke off inside the
        cylinder after about 5 minutes of flying. @((^(^&*^%%$$#@!!!

        I'm not trying to trash the BD, in fact, I think the BD is one of
        the best out there, I'm just trying to get a more accurate answer to
        the first question I asked when I got into the sport......

        What does it really cost per hour to paramotor????

        Thanks for the help,
        Don McNiven

      • stann honey
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
          I think he can repair it himself, I just think he is trying to put a real figure on what it costs to fly using a black devil motor. It would be nice to know an average with other motors too.

          Stann

          Andrew Ekstrom <andrewekstrom@...> wrote:
[...]

          Sula, Montana
          406-821-3574

          50% of all marriages end in divorce, what do the other 50% end in. I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

        • zinteriors
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
            --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "kristy_mcniven"
            <kristy_mcniven@...> wrote:

            Depends on how you fly. Do you use full throttle a lot?
            Do you weigh 160 lbs and use 1/2 throttle or are you
            225 lbs and use full throttle?
            What type of oil are you using and at what ratio?
            What octane gas are you using?
            What size prop are you using and at what pitch?
            Do you keep your prop balanced?
            Is everyone using the same carb and all at the same
            settings?
            Are some people using their units at the beach where
            sand and salt cause more problems?
            Are you doing the required scheduled maintenance, or are
            you waiting till something breaks to fix it?
            Do you have your carb adjusted properly for your altitude?
            Have you had any prop strikes that might affect the
            engine performance and reliability?
            Are you using the correct spark plug and do you keep
            it gapped properly?
            Do you check the torque of the bolts on your machine
            periodically to make sure things are within specs?
            Are you using the manufacturer's exhaust and muffler
            or are you using one supplied by the paramotor manufacturer?
            (fresh breeze used their own setup)
            The list goes on and on...
            Everybody is going to have different results

> [...]
            may
            > make others suspect you of provided biased info?
            >

            > I have 2 stories, Ballon Festival '04 when I couldn't get my BD
            > started because of a stuck auto decompression valve (I learned
            about
            > it after the flyin). I got blisters pulling on the &%$^%$&^!
            Thank
            > goodness for manual decompression valves! And I just hauled my
            > motor (last week) to Monument Valley and drove around instead of
            > flew around because my exhaust manifold bolt broke off inside the
            > cylinder after about 5 minutes of flying. @((^(^&*^%%$$#@!!!
            >
            > I'm not trying to trash the BD, in fact, I think the BD is one of
            > the best out there, I'm just trying to get a more accurate answer
            > the first question I asked when I got into the sport......
            >
            > What does it really cost per hour to paramotor????

          • Andrew Ekstrom
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
              Stann,

              Yeah, I know I was just funnin....

              For comparison, I have a FB Monster ( Hirth F33) w/ 30 ish hours and I have yet to do anything to it maintenance wise.

              The Hirth has a 1000 hr TBO at 75% power, and I rarely run it above that.

              Later
              Andy

              stann honey <huntinggod2000@...> wrote: I think he can repair it himself, I just think he is trying to put a real figure on what it costs to fly using a black devil motor. It would be nice to know an average with other motors too.

            • Rob Reynolds
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
                I¹ve got a top-80 with over 600 hrs and all I¹ve ever done to it was to
                replace the redrive bearinging (just recently) and put a new plug in it
                every 30 hours or so.

                On 9/2/07 11:47 AM, "Andrew Ekstrom" <andrewekstrom@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > it after the flyin). I got blisters pulling on the &%$^%$&^! Thank
                > goodness for manual decompression valves! And I just hauled my
                > motor (last week) to Monument Valley and drove around instead of
                > flew around because my exhaust manifold bolt broke off inside the
                > cylinder after about 5 minutes of flying. @((^(^&*^%%$$#@!!!
                >
                > I'm not trying to trash the BD, in fact, I think the BD is one of
                > the best out there, I'm just trying to get a more accurate answer to
                > the first question I asked when I got into the sport......
                >
                > What does it really cost per hour to paramotor????
                >
                > Thanks for the help,
                > Don McNiven

                > Stann Honey
                > Sula, Montana
                > 406-821-3574
                >
                > 50% of all marriages end in divorce, what do the other 50% end in. I

              • Mike Nowland
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
                  <kristy_mcniven@...> wrote:

                  > What does it really cost per hour to paramotor????

                  ******

                  My FB Solo 210 has 705 hours on it. I put a little over two hours
                  on it yesterday, up and down the Pacific coast near Malibu,
                  California.

                  The biggest expense so far was a cage I smashed hitting a concrete K-
                  rail hidden in high grass. The biggest motor expense came at about
                  460 hours, when I noticed a hairline crack from the internal decomp
                  hole to the edge of the cylinder. It ran fine, but I bought a
                  cylinder, piston, rings, base gasket, wrist pin, and clips for
                  $365. The old piston and rings were fine, so the new are still in
                  the bubble pack wrapping.

                  Logged running total on parts is $2819.57 / 705 = $4 /hr, or about
                  $37.10 per month.

                  I don't sell anything PPG-related, and don't have any close friends
                  who do.

                  Fly high,

                  Mike Nowland