Re: [ppgbiglist] Morning Enchantment

  • JIM DOYLE
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
      Love the end!

      Jim

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: kmckel2002 <kmckel@...>
      To: ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:27:54 PM
      Subject: [ppgbiglist] Morning Enchantment

      Morning mist met me
      as I left the RV.

      I smiled when I looked skyward.
      This was going to be special.

      Long I've dreamed, to fly
      among and above the clouds,
      though in two years of flying
      my marvelous magic lawn chair,
      the chance has always eluded me.

      That would change today.

      I laid my white wing gingerly
      on the damp, dew licked grass,
      checking, and double checking
      my alignment with the soft puffs of wind
      that brushed my cheeks so faintly,
      and worked so hard to coax the ribbons
      of the windsocks from their poles.

      Once hooked in,
      I ran the motor full speed
      aimed just above the wing,
      making sure all was well
      while making my own wind
      for what came next.

      As I released the throttle
      I began to move forward.
      My wonderful wing always wants to fly.
      It did not disappoint, today,
      as it leapt to life over my head.

      A squeeze of the throttle,
      a tug on the brakes,
      a bit of a run,
      and I was FREE!

      The bondage of gravity now broken,
      I was in flight, captain of my own ship
      in three dimensions.

      The field and local sky
      became crowded with others,
      So I sought solace in another place,
      farther afield.

      I practiced my steering control
      by following the rambling drainage swales,
      They seemed to meander aimlessly
      through a magnificent cornfield.

      I played hide and seek with a deer,
      who tried to escape detection there.

      I chased a red-tailed hawk
      for a mile at 50 feet,
      over an endless field of soybeans.

      I climbed through a misty hole in the heavens,
      where I saw my morning shadow,
      wrapped in all the colors of the rainbow,
      flying on the cloud's edge before me,
      as if to keep me company, in that place
      where the world faded away
      and I became alone with the sky.

      I then climbed higher, still
      to view the great blue infinity
      that stretched forever
      above a perfect white carpet
      of cotton candy under my feet.

      Then, suddenly nervous that
      I could no longer see the field,
      I chased down the hole that
      was slowly trying to run away,
      and flew back under the misty meringue
      to reconnect with the world I came from.

      Finally, following forty-two
      fantastic minutes of flight,
      I set my trims to half an inch,
      killed the motor at 100 feet,
      silently descended from my waking dream
      into a gentle warm breeze
      and landed like a pile of bricks.

      I'm still smiling.

      Kevin M
      West Chester, PA

      Fly like your life depends on it!

    • carvingair
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
        ...another writer eh, giving Mike N some competition. tis great,
        thanks Kev.

        --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "kmckel2002" <kmckel@...> wrote:

        > Morning mist met me
        > as I left the RV.
        >
        > I smiled when I looked skyward.
        > This was going to be special.
        >
        > Long I've dreamed, to fly
        > among and above the clouds,
        > though in two years of flying
        > my marvelous magic lawn chair,
        > the chance has always eluded me.
        >
        > That would change today.
        >
        > I laid my white wing gingerly
        > on the damp, dew licked grass,
        > checking, and double checking
        > my alignment with the soft puffs of wind
        > that brushed my cheeks so faintly,
        > and worked so hard to coax the ribbons
        > of the windsocks from their poles.
        >
        > Once hooked in,
        > I ran the motor full speed
        > aimed just above the wing,
        > making sure all was well
        > while making my own wind
        > for what came next.
        >
        > As I released the throttle
        > I began to move forward.
        > My wonderful wing always wants to fly.
        > It did not disappoint, today,
        > as it leapt to life over my head.
        >
        > A squeeze of the throttle,
        > a tug on the brakes,
        > a bit of a run,
        > and I was FREE!
        >
        > The bondage of gravity now broken,
        > I was in flight, captain of my own ship
        > in three dimensions.
        >
        > The field and local sky
        > became crowded with others,
        > So I sought solace in another place,
        > farther afield.
        >
        > I practiced my steering control
        > by following the rambling drainage swales,
        > They seemed to meander aimlessly
        > through a magnificent cornfield.
        >
        > I played hide and seek with a deer,
        > who tried to escape detection there.
        >
        > I chased a red-tailed hawk
        > for a mile at 50 feet,
        > over an endless field of soybeans.
        >
        > I climbed through a misty hole in the heavens,
        > where I saw my morning shadow,
        > wrapped in all the colors of the rainbow,
        > flying on the cloud's edge before me,
        > as if to keep me company, in that place
        > where the world faded away
        > and I became alone with the sky.
        >
        > I then climbed higher, still
        > to view the great blue infinity
        > that stretched forever
        > above a perfect white carpet
        > of cotton candy under my feet.
        >
        > Then, suddenly nervous that
        > I could no longer see the field,
        > I chased down the hole that
        > was slowly trying to run away,
        > and flew back under the misty meringue
        > to reconnect with the world I came from.
        >
        > Finally, following forty-two
        > fantastic minutes of flight,
        > I set my trims to half an inch,
        > killed the motor at 100 feet,
        > silently descended from my waking dream
        > into a gentle warm breeze
        > and landed like a pile of bricks.
        >
        > I'm still smiling.
        >

        > Kevin M
        > West Chester, PA
        >
        > Fly like your life depends on it!

      • Bill Kerr
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
          Correct, Jim!

          I missed at least one adjective: 'honest'

          Bill

          --
          <'{{{>< Bill Kerr
          S c o t l a n d

        • Joe Wessels
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
            Kevin,
            I really enjoyed your post.
            Thanks for a great word picture.
            Joe W.

            kmckel2002 wrote:
            Morning mist met me
            as I left the RV
            .
            ..
            ..

            Finally, following forty-two
            fantastic minutes of flight,
            I set my trims to half an inch,
            killed the motor at 100 feet,
            silently descended from my waking dream
            into a gentle warm breeze

            and landed like a pile of bricks.

            I'm still smiling.

            Kevin M
            West Chester, PA

            Fly like your life depends on it!

          • joehillhelicycle
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
              --Kevin
              Your Post gave me Goose bumps!
              joe hill

              - In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "carvingair" <mdean105@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > I played hide and seek with a deer,
              > > who tried to escape detection there.
              > >
              > > I chased a red-tailed hawk
              > > for a mile at 50 feet,
              > > over an endless field of soybeans.
              > >
              > > I climbed through a misty hole in the heavens,
              > > where I saw my morning shadow,
              > > wrapped in all the colors of the rainbow,
              > > flying on the cloud's edge before me,
              > > as if to keep me company, in that place
              > > where the world faded away
              > > and I became alone with the sky.
              > >
              > > I then climbed higher, still
              > > to view the great blue infinity
              > > that stretched forever
              > > above a perfect white carpet
              > > of cotton candy under my feet.
              > >
              > > Then, suddenly nervous that
              > > I could no longer see the field,
              > > I chased down the hole that
              > > was slowly trying to run away,
              > > and flew back under the misty meringue
              > > to reconnect with the world I came from.

            • Bill Briley
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
                Kevin,

                cool post. Im glad that you stuck with the sport. you have become a
                contributing member of our community--in a good way.

                bill b
                ncppg.com

              • Mike Nowland
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
                  --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "kmckel2002" <kmckel@...> wrote:

                  > Finally, following forty-two
                  > fantastic minutes of flight,
                  > I set my trims to half an inch,
                  > killed the motor at 100 feet,
                  > silently descended from my waking dream
                  > into a gentle warm breeze
                  > and landed like a pile of bricks.

                  ******

                  Now that's an inspiring post. I can't wait for Saturday morning!

                  Mike Nowland
                • dl937
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 2, 2007
                    --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "kmckel2002" <kmckel@...> wrote: