RE: [ppgbiglist] Safety Stats

  • Dane Lance
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
      Oooohhh..good one..ya got me.

      Yeah, spinning blades of ANY kind tend to be bad for human body parts when
      they try to occupy the same space at the same time. The body parts have an
      historical tendency to lose that fight.

      Of course, in modern American society, I have to blame the blades though as
      any other form of blame would imply responsibility on my part.and we can't
      have that, now can we?

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
        True enough. We tend to lay blame elsewhere. We want so much the approval from others. We will get creative with our justifications; to borrow a line from Geraldine,
        The Black Devil made me do it.

        Jim

        Those spinning blades will get you every time, eh Tip Stall?

        Jim

        I've often heard it said that incidents with the prop are the most
        common injury. However, on the USPPA incident report statistics site
        it says:
        ............ ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... .
        Type of Incident

        Not Applicable: 1
        Fall: 21
        Hard Landing: 24
        Collision with Terrain/Obstruction on Ground: 47
        Wing Malfunction or Deflation: 21
        Line Tangle/Damage: 7
        Powerplant/Equipmen t Malfunction: 22
        Handling: 10
        Body Contact with Spinning Prop: 21
        Collision with Other Aircraft/Ultralight : 9
        Other: 13
        Unknown: 0
        ............ ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ..
        I realize that these incident reports are not comprehensive, but if
        they reflect a cross-section of incidents, that means that you are
        TWICE as likely to hit some obstruction than any of the other single
        incident types. Commentary, anyone?

        -Brandon Oberlin

        Be a PS3 game guru.
        http://videogames. <http://videogames. yahoo.com/ platform? platform= 120121>
        yahoo.com/platform? platform= 120121

      • Skyman Scott
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
          Hi Brandon,

          I agree with you that it may be difficult to completely analyze the incident
          reports without more comprehensive data, when certain fields are left
          incomplete.

          But I'm not convinced that the majority of incidents are from hitting an
          obstruction, or that we are "TWICE as likely" to do that.

          I think the "collision with terrain / (or) obstruction on ground" category
          covers multiple possibilities, and I am guessing it includes falling down,
          whether on launch or landing.

          Under this premise, because fall downs are so common early in the flying
          experience, maybe that is why the majority of incidences (but not
          necessarily injuries) are in this category.

          Best,

          Scott A.

          Posted by: "Brandon"
          <mailto:bgo_1999@...?Subject=%20Re%3ASafety%20Stats>